User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    Because it strains valued interpersonal relationships, which presumably do not exist between an employer and an employee.
    That depends on were on the spectrum of parasitism/symbiotism the whole thing falls - for example, your relative-benefactor enjoys your company immensely and you run their errands and take care of their chores vs. you annoy everyone around you with your misery, and your daily activity revolves around getting fucked up and wallowing your own stench.

Also, people who are fired from employment are much better situated to recover than people kicked out of a relative's house.
    That's a valid point, but just another factor in risk vs reward equation.

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    Entire economies going to shit is a rare event
    It happened in 2008... and it's still happening. So not really that rare for the times we're currently living in. And like I said, it can be a symbiotic relationship - unless you think housewives are gold diggers too.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

I work because it would piss me off to have worked that hard for a degree to not use it. Plus I like stuff.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    ISTP

Because the marginal value of the first dollar is very high, and your ability to earn money has no bearing on that rate (ie: you will take the highest wage job you can but you almost certainly will take a job because of the value of 0->x money is very high).

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    Employers who hire loafing friends and/or relatives will eventually be put out of business by their competitors, who will likely have hired qualified former staff of the failing nepotistic enterprise.
    That's a simplicistic view of the matter, true for smaller companies, incorrect (imho) for corporations. Moreoever, our lives do not last indefinitely thus we don't normally wish to wait until those companies go out of business.

Anyway, @OP: you do need a minimum amount of money in order to survive. Some countries provide a minimum handout you can indefinitely live off, but you cannot afford anything beyond very basic goods (and by this I mean you normally don't even have money for more expensive groceries).

Beyond monetary rewards, there's an amount of fulfillment in doing a job well done. However, you may argue that minimum wage jobs are normally repetitive and thus this dimension would be missing - hard to find a meaningful counter-argument. You may decide to run your own small shop or be self-employed then, you'll likely earn very little money but at least you won't be at the mercy of an employer.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    I work because it would piss me off to have worked that hard for a degree to not use it.
    Sunk cost fallacy
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

WALMART

Why do you work for a living....

If you kill yourself working?

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Some people like living a humble life... I've thought of giving myself a "salary cap" and not taking something over that level. Maybe.
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

Quote Originally Posted by xisnotx View Post
    Why wouldn't you just stop working? I mean, if you're going to be poor...you might as well take it easy in the meantime..
    Working hard...to be poor. People make no sense to me.
    How would you know that you're going to remain poor? That working for X amount of time, or, an opportunity to progress in your work/field, won't dig you out of poverty?

It's as if you're think of being poor as a static thing, never changing. That's quite defeatist.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by Qre:us View Post
    How would you know that you're going to remain poor? That working for X amount of time, or, an opportunity to progress in your work/field, won't dig you out of poverty?

It's as if you're think of being poor as a static thing, never changing. That's quite defeatist.
    It's defeatist, but statistically not inaccurate. At least in the US.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    It's defeatist, but statistically not inaccurate. At least in the US.
    Statistically, teen drivers (especially, young males) are a risk.

So, teen drivers should not drive?