First 12345 Last

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by xisnotx View Post
    Why wouldn't you just stop working? I mean, if you're going to be poor...you might as well take it easy in the meantime..
    Working hard...to be poor. People make no sense to me.
    In a limited number of scenarios that are possible and likely to occur in the life of a modern person, there is some truth to your statement above.

Quote Originally Posted by xisnotx
    Unless it's something you like to do...like an artist, or an actress. Then I can understand.
    Self-actualization matters to some people, yes, uand those who are not materialistic are more likely to achieve self-actualization simply because financial barriers to entry are not an aspect of much that their lives are structured around.

Or if you have children. That would make sense too.
    Based on your reply I'm assuming you aren't a parent yet.
    But yes, you hit the nail on the head, there is ALOT that changes in your life when you become one.

For instance, I didn't become a Father until I was 28 years old. I've been working professionally (IT/Government/Consulting/etc) since I was 20. For 8 years I was able t cherry pick my jobs in the sense that I could do whatever I wanted so long as the pay, benefits, amount of travel, and schedule were all within desirable limits for me. Once you have a baby in your life, your options quickly re-align: Will you be there to help your spouse/SO feed, bathe, play with, and keep a watchful eye on your child? Will your income ve consistent enough to pay for diapers, formula, clothes, toys, and all else needed? Will you have health care benefits that are worth a damn to ensure all well-baby visits occur timely, immunizations administered, and cover anything more serious should it occur?

I think part of what you're getting at (please correct me if I'm mistaken) is that there is ALOT of "occupationally related bullshit" that many people put up with on an on-going basis for the sake of their childten's wellbeing, that they WOULD NOT tolerate if the only person they had to provide for, and ensure the survival of was themself.
    If that's what you're saying, then yeah, I'd say we are on the same page on this more so than not.

But, just you...and you're working? And you're poor? Then stop working! Use your time more wisely, imo.
    Can you please provide some specific examples of what you mean above when you state "Then stop working! Use your time more wisely, imo."

It's kind of vague otherwise...

Quote Originally Posted by Rail Tracer View Post
    Because there is food and shelter that needs to be acquired? There are hundreds of people willing to take your position if you choose to take it easy.
    True. Few have the ability to magically find food and shelter. And, in a world with a surplys of labor, a prolonged recessionary economic environment, and an ever increasing cost of living despite stagnant wage growth - it's kind of important to figure out what the best use of your KSA's is to land meaningful employment with upward potential.

Quote Originally Posted by Rail Tracer
    One can also be a bum and choose to panhandle people. I've seen some people able to make a few hundred bucks a day by swindling unsuspecting people.
    Yes, however, this is not sustainable, but some are compelled to try and make a go of it, as you and I have both seen...

Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    Money is needed to live in the modern world. That's why people try. You essentially have to.
    This +1,000.
    Money is the universal currency - period. It is the easiest medium to facilitate a transfer of goods and/or services. And as such, has become the basis of the exchange of labor for work. Yes, in many ways this has made money a necessary evil, but I wager that the root of that evil is in greed, which existed long before the first coin was ever minted, and with that perspective in mind, money is much more easily considered more neutrally as "potential purchasing power" - and nothing more.

Quote Originally Posted by Lion 4.5 View Post
    Because you keep a little bit of self-respect?
    Yes...

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    The only thing worse than being working poor in the US is being unemployed. Even if you can get disability, that's only around $700/month. You have to be really good at working the system to make that work.
    Correct, being unemployed, especially when you have kids, is terrifying.
    Regarding disability, it's VERY time consuming and difficult to qualify for it. And qualifying for it doesn't mean you'll wind up with FULL DISABILITY, you might only get PARTIAL DISABILITY, and that is not a guarantee of much.

Quote Originally Posted by cafe
    If you smoke or drink or use recreational drugs, you're completely screwed. You'd have to do something illegal to make a tolerable existence like working under the table or selling your prescription medication and then you run the risk of going to jail and losing all of your benefits forever.
    Sadly enough there are many thousands of children who are under-nourished, if not starving due to their parent(s) use of tobacco, alcohol, and/or illicit drugs. Yes, there is a nationwide epidemic of people selling Rx medications for cash, opiod/synthetic opiod painkillers representing the lion's share. Those who do so risk incarceration and/or loss of public assistance if receiving it, but the majority of enforcement at this time ia centered on pharmacies that facilitate such rings of operation, and those distributing the medications - aka "the dealers." Again, not a wise or viable long-term solution...

Quote Originally Posted by phobik View Post
    Or find someone to support you.
    Then you are dependent on them, and that's not a good situation to be in, IMHO...

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    That's great if you can get it. Not practical for most people in the US considering our current distribution of wealth.
    Again, not a realitic or sustainable option - I agree with you...

So brainwashed...I feel sorry. Stop chasing money, and money starts chasing you.
    You just referred to an extremely intelligent person as brainwashed, and then offered a meaningless riddle as proof that you have superior understanding. You're quickly losing credibility...

My self respect has zero to do with my salary. I'm great because I am.
    High self-esteem is a wonderful thing, however delusions of grandeur are hardly a blessing. The greatness of a person is measured by what they are able to do with what they have. Believing you are great is relevant only within your own mind, and the illusion as such quickly shattered when your words don't live up to your deeds.

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    hmm self dignity, being able to afford stuff, the fact that it's damn near in possible these days to find a job with a living wage.
    These are all rational motivators, even for those who don't have children to support...

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Where is your money coming from? And how much?
    This question has not been answered...

Laws are arbitrary...
    So is your opinion.
    The difference between the two is that your opinion has no authority, wheras laws provide a framework for society to operate within - for better or worse, depending on the society.

Exactly...so why are you still trying? They make you hustle so hard for that 40k job, that many can't even get...and then they make you feel like it's your fault? Like you didn't work hard enough, didn't make the right decisions for, don't deserve for the millions they were born with? Then when you do get that 40k job, you're supposed to be happy about it? lol, meanwhile they're sitting on millions, just relaxing?

Fuck that noise.
    Everyone is free to live their life and to do work.
    Each person must choose if they wish to accept the status quo, or transcend it.
    No one ever said life is fair, or that the world is fair, or that the system is fair - there are no guarantees beyond death and taxes.
    Most people figure this out in some capacity, and come to terms with this understanding by figuring out what lifestyle they can live on a sustainable basis by doing
    doing work they are capable of and that otherrs are willing to pay them for.
    Work can take many forms, not all are physically demanding, not all are entirely unenjoyable, it is for each person to figure out how they can nake the best living possible to support themselves and their loved ones. It's not rocket science.

I'm rich because if I'm not then I'm a havoc.

Call it a fair trade.

The world pays me to placate me.

Where does all this money come from? idk, but it comes
    Ummm - yeah, Ok - sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Forever_Jung View Post
    I like my job
    I like mine too.

That's fine.

I'm just busy buying my mansion here...
    The world, in turn, should be busy building it for me..
    Or busy handling the hell I'll bring it if I don't get my way..

Because, apparently, I'm not the type to just go quietly.
    I've tried. I really wouldn't mind being common/standard.
    I wouldn't mind settling..

But I find I can't.

I'll get it by any means necessary.
    Give it to me, or put a bullet in my skull..

If you're not prepared to die or kill for it, then you're already behind me!
    That's the silliest tirade of outright bullshit I've read in a long time.
    Either you have skipped a few pills, or you're just being silly.
    I can't tell which.

I'm jealous.
    I'll get there eventually, though.
    Promise.

But, that's awesome.
    It will happen if you try hard and be persistent. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Comeback Girl View Post
    I get bored easily. I need something to entertain myself. Like a job.
    I've never thought of it this way but I must say I agree.
    Boredom management with a paycheck - not a bad idea at all.
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    Then you are dependent on them, and that's not a good situation to be in, IMHO...
    Yep.
    However

&

To each their own.
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Yep.
    However

&

To each their own.
    Nicely stated.

--------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

your resident asshole

So brainwashed...I feel sorry. Stop chasing money, and money starts chasing you.
    You can't honestly believe this...

Do you think money just rains from the sky?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Laws are arbitrary...
    Laws are. I don't care about them for their own sake. Enforcement is . . . not quite arbitrary, but uneven. People who need the money most are the most likely to wind up on the bad end of things.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek View Post
    You can't honestly believe this...

Do you think money just rains from the sky?
    Not that I think money isn't important...it is.
    I just think that if you focus on being valuable, on producing value, then the money follows.

I think I'll be a lot happier if I work for value, and not for money.

That's why I think...if you chase money...I mean, you might get it..but will you have earned it? You know what I mean? Why be rich if all you did to be rich was try to be rich? That's dumb! You only have 40 working years in you...you might as well do something that counts!

I have no idea how money is created anymore. I mean, back in the day it was obvious. But with all this technology...money not being anything that digital #s on a computer screen. I don't even know...It's confusing, that's for sure.

Permabanned

Also...you should probably take all what I say in this thread with a grain of salt. I'm so lost in the world...it's ridiculous. Analysis paralysis. I can't make a move to save my life...

I guess it's common...being in your mid 20s.

But, my career is confusing.
    Relationships just as confusing.

I'm going to bed.

I'll deal with this mess tomorrow.

Life...ugh..

MBTI
    INTJ

Why wouldn't you just stop working? I mean, if you're going to be poor...you might as well take it easy in the meantime..
    Working hard...to be poor. People make no sense to me.

Unless it's something you like to do...like an artist, or an actress. Then I can understand.
    Or if you have children. That would make sense too.

But, just you...and you're working? And you're poor? Then stop working! Use your time more wisely, imo.
    To me, there are two financial milestones that are important - the first one is that of the basic level of necessity, such as food and shelter. The second, is having enough money never to have to worry about money ever again. Everything in between is keeping up with the Jones's. Of course, a lot of people like to keep with the Jones's - it may be a foreign concept to you, but that's what some people enjoy, so good on them. I used to be one of those people, but then realized that that lifestyle isn't for me, and decided to pursue an occupation that isn't as profitable but is much more fulfilling.

Or find someone to support you.
    That works too. The most obvious route, of course, is to mooch of one's parents, because parents have an innate obligation to take care of their young. However, once you hit 30, suddenly you don't seem that young anymore and parents might get fed up with your shit. The next step would be to shift the mooching toward a sympathetic and financially successful sibling, if you are a lucky enough to have one. Absent that, your last resort is government hand outs.

The costs associated with that lifestyle is "dignity" and social stigma. However, those who scuff at the concept of dignity and already viewed "outcasts" and "degenerates" by society are immune to the costs.

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    How is that different from relying on your employer not to fire you? Sometimes you can do the best job ever but you still get laid off - whether it's because economy is shit, or because they have to make room for a loafer brother.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    How is that different from relying on your employer not to fire you? Sometimes you can do the best job ever but you still get laid off - whether it's because economy is shit, or because they have to make room for a loafer brother.
    Because it strains valued interpersonal relationships, which presumably do not exist between an employer and an employee. Also, people who are fired from employment are much better situated to recover than people kicked out of a relative's house.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    How is that different from relying on your employer not to fire you?
    It's entirely different, Edgar because employed people have transferrable skills, and thus find new employment when needed, whether at the time of their choosing or not. That'd the point of having an occupational skill set that is current and relevant in the modern marketplace. Finding a new Sugardaddy/Sugarmama whenever you get kicked to the curb and for whatever reason is totally incomparable to finding a new job.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar
    Sometimes you can do the best job ever but you still get laid off - whether it's because economy is shit, or because they have to make room for a loafer brother.
    You are off tangent.
    Entire economies going to shit is a rare event; even still does it make sense to write off being employable and take up gold digging? No.
    Employers who hire loafing friends and/or relatives will eventually be put out of business by their competitors, who will likely have hired qualified former staff of the failing nepotistic enterprise.

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    Because it strains valued interpersonal relationships, which presumably do not exist between an employer and an employee. Also, people who are fired from employment are much better situated to recover than people kicked out of a relative's house.
    +1,000

--------------------
    Type Stats:

Quotes: