User Tag List

First 678910 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Forever_Jung View Post
    That technique really upsets me. I went to a liberal arts school which was like 70% women (and in a lot of classes, I was the only guy), and every time I said anything in Gender Studies class, I heard "check your privilege". Men have problems too--check your privilege!--I wasn't saying I had it worse I was ju--check your privilege!--nice weather we're hav--check your privilege! They were like toddlers who just learned a new word that gets them attention. I imagine they'll grow out of that though, I think young women are just excited to learn this stuff, and take it a little too far. Kind of like that annoying freshman who starts quoting Nietzsche and Ayn Rand all the time after taking intro to Philosophy. Yes, these concepts are pretty important and interesting, but learn when to apply them.
    Privilege is a bankrupt concept. Human social interaction is mathematically chaotic. It is not possible to know anything about the experiences of individual based upon their physical traits, but that's what people try to do with privilege. If you're black, privilege says you must have been disadvantaged. And while that might be true about blacks, generally, you cannot say that with certainty about any individual. Whether or not someone is disadvantaged due to skin color depends on a lot of variables which are invisible to us.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Quote Originally Posted by Redbone View Post
    Rasofy, I'm lazy and didn't watch it. Don't need to. There is definitely one. I think many assume that it's "harmless" it can be overlooked. You know, like taking a child seriously for hitting you? But just like kids, it's not something that is okay to do just because it's not as likely to cause damage. That's not the point at all.
    Yeah I think this is the point...
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

That technique really upsets me. I went to a liberal arts school which was like 70% women (and in a lot of classes, I was the only guy), and every time I said anything in Gender Studies class, I heard "check your privilege". Men have problems too--check your privilege!--I wasn't saying I had it worse I was ju--check your privilege!--nice weather we're hav--check your privilege! (of course, I exaggerate, but you get the point) I imagine they'll grow out of that though, I think young women are just excited to learn this stuff, and take it a little too far. Kind of like that annoying freshman who starts quoting Nietzsche and Ayn Rand all the time after taking intro to Philosophy. Yes, these concepts are pretty important and interesting, but learn when to apply them.

That was very prudent, haha, they are an embarrassment to us all, because they're a movement based on spite. I wish they wouldn't address worthwhile problems (which they sometimes do), because the issues get trivialized by association with those clowns.
    Lol, u best check ur privilege, boy.

Similar to me in an art school. So
    Much estrogen, I had to double my red meat intake.
    I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.

Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyyukon View Post
    Lol, u best check ur privilege, boy.

Similar to me in an art school. So
    Much estrogen, I had to double my red meat intake.
    Ha!

Well, to be clear, it wasn't all women in the class, just a little group who took things too far. But certainly none of the women in the class ever stuck up for me. I stuck up for myself, but there's only so much you can do when you're the one voice of dissent. I actually like female-dominated spaces, as long as I'm not made to feel marginalized. My mom was the principal force in my early childhood, mostly all my teachers and principals were women, I went to a female-dominated university, I have almost never had a male boss, and pretty much every job I have had or want to have is overrepresented by women. I live in a freakin' matriarchy, man.

I like red meat too, though

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by A window to the soul View Post
    Ladies and gentleman, I can't stress this enough, don't settle for less than a partner you respect and admire; someone who is KIND! I don't have any sympathy for the victims in the video, as they have the power to change their situation by moving on.
    I do have sympathy for them. Moving on is difficult. It can be like overcoming an addiction and/or being bereaved. Usually the emotional abuse that goes along with it degrades your feelings of worth and confidence. It is meant to keep you off balance and vulnerable to them. Some stay in order to be with and protect their kids. And men have virtually no support for overcoming this. I do not know for certain, but I'm guessing most shelters for domestic violence victims do not provide housing for men and their children. Women have a lot more resources available to them and many still have a very difficult time leaving an abusive partner.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Call me ignorant but I'm surprised to read how many men have been physically threatened and abused by women. I didn't expect it to be that prevalent. It must be frustrating for society to not recognise the legitimacy of that and to not feel you can even defend yourself. It particularly upsets me to read the stuff about how people openly dismiss it or the assumptions that the guy must be somehow to blame. I can't imagine how demoralising that must be.

Abuse is abuse. Anyone that pulls that shit should be prosecuted, regardless of their sex.

I also don't think that any one group should have the monopoly on victimhood. Yes, more women suffer abuse from men than the reverse, but how dare you diminish anyone's suffering because it's in a less commonly occurring category. It doesn't change what happened to that individual.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Ha!

Well, to be clear, it wasn't all women in the class, just a little group who took things too far. But certainly none of the women in the class ever stuck up for me. I stuck up for myself, but there's only so much you can do when you're the one voice of dissent. I actually like female-dominated spaces, as long as I'm not made to feel marginalized. My mom was the principal force in my early childhood, mostly all my teachers and principals were women, I went to a female-dominated university, I have almost never had a male boss, and pretty much every job I have had or want to have is overrepresented by women. I live in a freakin' matriarchy, man.

I like red meat too, though
    Yeah,as a heterosexual man, I pretty much see women as Man's salvation. But good god, I cannot work for one. Ha, beautiful creatures though.

Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyyukon View Post
    Yeah,as a heterosexual man, I pretty much see women as Man's salvation. But good god, I cannot work for one. Ha, beautiful creatures though.
    You're funny. You remind me of the men in my family. They say stuff like that all the time, usually with a beer in hand and an exasperated wife on their arm.

In Canada, from census data they found that women and men were comparable, when self-reporting being victims of domestic abuse. However, when you compared that to reported cases to the police, there was a significant skewing by gender. Reported cases to police where the victim was the female was around 80% compared to men.

And, of course, funding for services and support followed the generally-held belief that, proportionately, it affected women more.

Laws also were not gender-neutral. Favouring the females. Which, boggles my mind and makes me angry.

Even when volunteering for a crisis hotline, and in the training, they cover, extensively, how to respond to a domestic abuse call. Which is always, "she", " she", "she". List of resources given. Women-focused. When asked about male victims, their response was that it wasn't that common to get such calls.

Does it bear out in reality? Yes.

Does that automatically mean that men are less-frequently the victims of domestic violence?

Or, does it highlight the problem even more so? That of the stigma (especially the internalized stigma) which creates barriers to access of resources.

I would hazard the latter to be the case.

Frustrating. Sad. Inert. Movement towards creating male support services for such issues is so slow to build and get funding for.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

You're funny. You remind me of the men in my family. They say stuff like that all the time, usually with a beer in hand and an exasperated wife on their arm.
    LOL. yeeeeeup. I'm just a reglar dude. Got a cold High Life in my hand now.