philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Default article- Rape Culture 101

This is really good.

http://www.shakesville.com/2009/10/r...lture-101.html
    The bolded phrases and words link to other sites, so I've included the link.

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTJ

Rape is a social construct. Checkmate.

Ratchet Ass Moon Fairy Comeback Girl's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    2w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    yolo Ni

Rape is unsexy.

When I read the article, I couldn't stop thinking how I'd rather live in a Grape Culture instead of a Rape Culture. Would definitely be more healthy.
    Ewww is the new sexy

Hi! Ask me things, maybe I'll answer them! Just click here

And here's my functions: Se-Te-Fi-Fe-Ni-Ti-Ne-Si

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I'll just watch this time

MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Hawbawbowba View Post
    Rape is a social construct. Checkmate.
    If you mean the causes of it are rooted in social and societal dynamics, you are right.

Quote Originally Posted by Comeback Girl View Post
    Rape is unsexy.

When I read the article, I couldn't stop thinking how I'd rather live in a Grape Culture instead of a Rape Culture. Would definitely be more healthy.
    Yes, grape culture is far healthier.

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

some of the points were good, others were total bullshit.

for example
    Rape culture is using the word "rape" to describe something that has been done to you other than a forced or coerced sex act. Rape culture is saying things like "That ATM raped me with a huge fee" or "The IRS raped me on my taxes."
    Rape culture is pretending that non-physical sexual assaults, like peeping tomming, is totally unrelated to brutal and physical sexual assaults, rather than viewing them on a continuum of sexual assault.
    ^blatant contradiction
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Comeback Girl View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by greenfairy View Post
    Yes, grape culture is far healthier.
    ...would it really be healthier?

Sorry, couldn't resist.
    [Fe Disclaimer]Perhaps this may serve as an example of the article's position. Personally, I see it as comic relief. Relief is the key word here. Humor can be a wonderful means of coping with terrible circumstances, though timing and audience are most certainly important factors to consider.[/Fe Disclaimer]
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

just for the hell of it, I'm going to be really controversial for a moment
    - I know many people, some male, some female, who I feel deserve to get raped (even if I have no desire to do it myself). if it traumatized them and got them to shut hell up, good, cuz that's more important to me than their mental health
    - if you withdraw consent in the middle of sex, it doesn't mean you deserve to be raped, but it does make you an asshole (though I'll extend this to people who sexually tease in general). it was definitely wrong that they got raped, but, in this instance specifically, I don't have to have sympathy for them.
    - rape is a sadistic, violent crime, not a sexual crime. the goal is the pain, humiliation and suffering of the victim (comparing it to being a peeping tom was fucking retarded).
    - I make rape jokes all the time. it's not because I don't know how horrible it is, it's because I know how fucked up it is (no pun intended). that's what makes it funny
    - while i have no desire to rape anyone (hell, I don't even like the concept of rough sex. the notion offends me), I have no problem with using the threat of rape to intimidate someone (of course, they have to deserve it. like, if someone is being a bully, I can use it to become a much scarier boogeyman than they are willing to be) and have done so many times in the past to combat gay-bashing and bullying unrelated to my sexuality.
    - this article is idealistic as fuck. there will always be slums, red light districts and shady ass mofos who would not bat an eye at the concept of raping someone, because these people are sociopaths, not people who bought into some social norm that it's okay to rape people.
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Chibi Seme
    Sunburst!
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Elfboy, I must respectfully disagree on most of those points, but I don't want to go into why right now because it would take too long and require a bunch of theory and speculation (which is supported by actual evidence, but whatever). Suffice it to say that I think rape culture has been around since the beginning of civilization, and that's what you're referring to when you say things have always been this way and always will- but you fail to consider that there was human society before civilization (for a REALLY long time), and if far into the future there is no civilization there likely won't be rape culture. Power dynamics in a society and power dynamics in sexual relationships are closely connected. When a society is hierarchal there will be abuse of power on every level. "Civilization", i.e. state level societies (and probably some tribe level societies) were sufficiently hierarchical as to produce abuse of power in these situations, but there's a lot of evidence that it just wasn't common at all before then. I don't want to get into all that though, for reasons outlined above.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post

^blatant contradiction
    Incorrect. Using the word rape in non-sexually-coercive situations trivializes the act, generalizing it to mean something it really is not. What's important about the word rape is that it is specific. If someone is accused of rape as a crime, it means a forced sexual act, not simply gross exploitation. Rape culture however, does encompass exploitation if it is sexual, because it is related to the idea that other people's bodies (particularly women's) are public property. Non-physical sexual assaults are related because they lead to physical sexual assaults. It is a different behavior, so not a contradiction, but it illustrates the same principles.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

@greenfairy
    fair enough. I'm also a bit too lazy to debate at the moment (as usual lol)

Edit:
    however
    Incorrect. Using the word rape in non-sexually-coercive situations trivializes the act, generalizing it to mean something it really is not. What's important about the word rape is that it is specific. If someone is accused of rape as a crime, it means a forced sexual act, not simply gross exploitation. Rape culture however, does encompass exploitation if it is sexual, because it is related to the idea that other people's bodies (particularly women's) are public property. Non-physical sexual assaults are related because they lead to physical sexual assaults. It is a different behavior, so not a contradiction, but it illustrates the same principles.
    slippery slope
    they really don't though. a peeping tom knows he's doing something wrong and is sneaky because he doesn't want to get caught. such an individual lacks the violent, sadistic, often entitled psychology of a rapist.
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Chibi Seme
    Sunburst!