User Tag List

View Poll Results: Has the environmental movement become a religion?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

13 37.14%
  • No

16 45.71%
  • Other (explain)

6 17.14%
First 678910 Last

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

I honestly don't have a problem with cutting back on the reproduction. There 6.6 billion people in the world. That's way too many. I go on and on with theories about all the adverse effects of this giant population, but as you can see, an issue that's basically more solid than mere theory has already been put forward. The environment is screwed by how man people there are.

So, here are some interesting philosophical questions:

Is it better for there to be less people who are more happy, or more people who are less happy?

Is it justified to let society grow now if it guarantees the soon extinction of all people, or nearly all people and society as we know it?

Some tough questions there, huh?
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    infp

That's an interesting article. And it's a good example of what sometimes happens... when you word it as "saving the planet" it becomes a big deal.

MBTI
    infp

I think that educating people about population issues is good though, but I don't know why doctors are trying to do it. A doctor is an expert on the human body, not world population statistics and demographics. A doctor could be like a human pez despenser of information pamphlets and phone numbers of actual population statistics studies experts, but other than that they should stick to the human body...

heart on fire

People in western nations have already limited their family sizes dramatically. Where's the fire?

MBTI
    infp

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    People in western nations have already limited their family sizes dramatically. Where's the fire?
    Thats interesting... the population growth is in undeveloped nations then? Thats interesting cause I think it's us western nations that are doing the most environmental damage... even just with housing and urban sprawl.

heart on fire

As people get more affluent they have fewer children. More affluent people use more resources. that's the trend in western cultures, so how would limiting people to one child be that big of a factor anyway?

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by GZA View Post
    Thats interesting... the population growth is in undeveloped nations then? Thats interesting cause I think it's us western nations that are doing the most environmental damage... even just with housing and urban sprawl.
    It depends on what you call a developed nation. Theoretically it's second world nations that do the most damage. That's because first world nations have moved beyond instrustry and stagnated, and third world nations are still scattered and non-industrial. The USA is a big culprit, because we are a big country, and we do have a weird taste for the excessive(I don't know exactly why), but environmentalists are really scared of China and India. you see, India's just picking up, and the development of that country's infrastructure and luxury is going to really hurt the environment.
    Developing nations do the most damage, because they go through the most industrialized period.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    infp

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    It depends on what you call a developed nation. Theoretically it's second world nations that do the most damage. That's because first world nations have moved beyond instrustry and stagnated, and third world nations are still scattered and non-industrial. The USA is a big culprit, because we are a big country, and we do have a weird taste for the excessive(I don't know exactly why), but environmentalists are really scared of China and India. you see, India's just picking up, and the development of that country's infrastructure and luxury is going to really hurt the environment.
    Developing nations do the most damage, because they go through the most industrialized period.
    Oh, I see. That makes a lot of sense... that is kind of scary

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Is it better for there to be less people who are more happy, or more people who are less happy?
    That totally depends on who is making the reproductive decisions.

Is it justified to let society grow now if it guarantees the soon extinction of all people, or nearly all people and society as we know it?
    I really doubt climate change is going to cause the extinction of the human race. I'd say it's more likely that nuclear war, a comet, or disease will wipe us off the planet. Humans are very adaptable. Even if we really wrecked the climate, we'd still find a way to survive. I think we grossly overestimate our effect on this planet. Hubris.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Has the environmental movement become a religion?
    No, but it is equally full of lack of evidence for their claims.
    Last edited by Didums; 07-26-2008 at 05:06 PM.