User Tag List

View Poll Results: Has the environmental movement become a religion?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

13 37.14%
  • No

16 45.71%
  • Other (explain)

6 17.14%
First 3456715 Last

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    The fringes of libertarianism are being compared to the fringes of environmentalism, I would guess on the basis of both being fringes.

I think the point was that people invest all sorts of reasonable causes and viewpoints with religious zeal, and the fringe doesn't have to reflect badly on the reasonable cause or viewpoint.
    I don't really see a parallel between even anarcho-capitalists and the quasi-mystic environmentalism we were discussing, but OK.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Religions have ideologies but not all ideologies are religions. Could we all try to be more literate and not give in to the simplistic and inflammatory language of pundits?

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    I don't really see a parallel between even anarcho-capitalists and the quasi-mystic environmentalism we were discussing, but OK.
    Generally I don't count the nature worshipers, because they are generally a part of something like a Pagan faith, and those have existed long before environmentalism has come about. I'd agree that there are people who are nature worshipers who are also environmentalists, but I wouldn't say that people have invented a new religion based on modern climate change.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by sassafrassquatch View Post
    Religions have ideologies but not all ideologies are religions. Could we all try to be more literate and not give in to the simplistic and inflammatory language of pundits?
    But what separates the two? And what is this about being more literate and not giving in to pundits? What does that even mean? I don't see how it applies to this discussion.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    Generally I don't count the nature worshipers, because they are generally a part of something like a Pagan faith, and those have existed long before environmentalism has come about. I'd agree that there are people who are nature worshipers who are also environmentalists, but I wouldn't say that people have invented a new religion based on modern climate change.
    No, I agree with that. However, there IS a religious element to people who believe that we should reduce our energy consumption no matter WHAT the effect to the environment, or people like Lat's example of berating a pregnant woman for ruining the planet through childbirth. There is an irrational, quasi-religious bent to that type of attitude.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    No, I agree with that. However, there IS a religious element to people who believe that we should reduce our energy consumption no matter WHAT the effect to the environment, or people like Lat's example of berating a pregnant woman for ruining the planet through childbirth. There is an irrational, quasi-religious bent to that type of attitude.
    Trust me, there are some pretty nutty Libertarians out there. Some worship the U.S. Constitution to an irrational level and take anti-government to rediculous extremes. I don't see much difference.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Trust me, there are some pretty nutty Libertarians out there. Some worship the U.S. Constitution to an irrational level and take anti-government to rediculous extremes. I don't see much difference.
    I can see the parallel. The difference is, that's a group that will probably never grow beyond its current level, and I've never seen them accost anyone in public, hand out tracks, or anything like that. This environmentalism thing is growing. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that their numbers are greater than the number of anarcho-capitalists in the US.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    But what separates the two? And what is this about being more literate and not giving in to pundits? What does that even mean? I don't see how it applies to this discussion.
    From the OED

ideology

1 a system of ideas and ideals forming the basis of an economic or political theory. 2 the set of beliefs characteristic of a social group or individual.

religion

1 the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods. 2 a particular system of faith and worship.

I don't like the way religion is used as an attack word to automatically discredit someone. If a person believes strongly in something just call them religious, now we don't have to take them seriously anymore. Much easier than actually forming a counter argument.

That's how pundits operate, they throw loaded words at people until they go away.

MBTI
    ESFJ

I have been a libertarian for more than a decade, and I've never heard or seen a libertarian berate a perfect stranger in public for riding public transportation or paying taxes.

BTW, how does one "worship the U.S. Constitution?" I don't get it.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by sassafrassquatch View Post
    From the OED

ideology

1 a system of ideas and ideals forming the basis of an economic or political theory. 2 the set of beliefs characteristic of a social group or individual.

religion

1 the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods. 2 a particular system of faith and worship.

I don't like the way religion is used as an attack word to automatically discredit someone. If a person believes strongly in something just call them religious, now we don't have to take them seriously anymore. Much easier than actually forming a counter argument.

That's how pundits operate, they throw loaded words at people until they go away.
    The environment is being propped up as some sort of deity. That's how I see it.

I still don't see how pundits apply to this thread. And you didn't explain your use of the term literate.