User Tag List

View Poll Results: Has the environmental movement become a religion?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

13 37.14%
  • No

16 45.71%
  • Other (explain)

6 17.14%
First 1234513 Last

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    A few days ago, I was grocery shopping in the produce section and there was a pregnant woman there with two children. Another woman walked up to her and told her, in a calm voice, that it was wrong to have another child, that she was killing the planet. I'm still having trouble believing that I actually saw that.
    Please tell me you threw a watermelon at her head and shouted "In Soviet Russia planet kills you!"
    I don't wanna!

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by booyalab View Post
    Please tell me you threw a watermelon at her head and shouted "In Soviet Russia planet kills you!"
    If I wasn't so shocked, I probably would have said something. Plus, I didn't actually believe what I heard at first, but seeing the look on the mother's face confirmed it for me.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?

Quote Originally Posted by booyalab View Post
    heeheehee. I LOVE IT!
    INFJ

"I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ExTJ

No it isn't.

Any ideology is going to have people who misunderstand the points of it, take it too extreme, blindly accept some idea, or criticize others for not following an accepted path.

Gender politics gives us various assumptions about how different genders should act, qualities they are "supposed" to have, critisisms for acting/representing a poor view of the gender, and more. We have various libertarians automatically thinking that government programs are bad and criticizing those who don't agree. Most viewpoints related to economics, education, immigration, etc., have some people picking a side, backing it up with some rationalization and/or fudged statistics, and calling others idiots/immoral/wrongheaded/etc. for not agreeing.

If the viewpoints spawning these actions aren't considered religions, environmentalism isn't one either.

heart on fire

Environmentalism is being merged with forms of Earth worship and paganism.

It's always something... PuddleRiver's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    I see it as two very different issues. The turning of Greenism into a religion is a totally different topic from whether or not environmental concerns are valid.
    I agree. It's a real deal, but some will just have it serve as the flavor of the month. It validates them somehow.
    "In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay one invincible summer."
    ~~~~
    A Christian's life may be the only Bible some people ever read.
    ~~~~
    "The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them" Maya Angelou.
    ~~~~
    I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ" Gandhi
    ~~~~

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

I find it intresting, how long it took economics to make profit from what physicist's calculated in the 80's ? xDDD
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

When the political classes introduced equivalents of indulgences and excommunication, I began to wonder if this was all a highly coordinated parody. Instead, it appears to be mass hysteria. Green be with you, brother!

The purpose of carbon credits is to keep the total greenhouse gas output below a certain level. Companies buy carbon credits, if they don't produce as much pollution as estimated then they sell the unused credits to companies who need more. I don't see any parallel to indulgences, nothing is being absolved.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by sassafrassquatch View Post
    The purpose of carbon credits is to keep the total greenhouse gas output below a certain level. Companies buy carbon credits, if they don't produce as much pollution as estimated then they sell the unused credits to companies who need more. I don't see any parallel to indulgences, nothing is being absolved.
    Would a net carbon footprint of zero make you Jesus?
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."