User Tag List

View Poll Results: Has the environmental movement become a religion?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

13 37.14%
  • No

16 45.71%
  • Other (explain)

6 17.14%
First 123412 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    I know you touched upon it in your blog, but what exactly is going down in Minnesota?
    A few days ago, I was grocery shopping in the produce section and there was a pregnant woman there with two children. Another woman walked up to her and told her, in a calm voice, that it was wrong to have another child, that she was killing the planet. I'm still having trouble believing that I actually saw that.

I mention Minnesota because it's the first liberal state I've lived in. Missouri, Texas, and Florida (all the states where I've previously lived) are pretty conservative by comparison. I've seen more 'environmentalists' in my 5 months in Minnesota than I did in my other 30+ years.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    It causes me a fair amount of concern to see how many people doubt there are environmental crises hand...
    I see it as two very different issues. The turning of Greenism into a religion is a totally different topic from whether or not environmental concerns are valid.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Among my closest friends and family, not one is ridden with guilt and overcome with concern for the environment.

I think that it's mainly just a media obsession/marketing ploy that will turn out to be be short-lived.

It's just a trend.
    I agree it currently seems to be a media obsession, and it's now a catch word of sorts. Like, it's 'cool' and sophisticated to be environmental, or something.

This bothers me, mostly because I'd say it's one of my highest values, and I've cared about all of it for a long time, before it crossed most peoples' radars. I'd say I care more about nature than people. To be truthful. I don't think it's a religion for me.

But I can see why it seems like a religion for society at large now, when it's just the new phrase and everyone's just suddenly becoming environmentally conscious, when they maybe weren't before.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    It causes me a fair amount of concern to see how many people doubt there are environmental crises hand...
    You don't have to doubt that there are environmental crises happening to also believe some people are going about it in a completely crazy way. I'm very much an environmentalist and it makes me angry when people go about it with an unreasonable almost religious zeal, because it makes the rest of us look bad. (Come to think of it, that's kind of how I feel about my religion, too. Hmm.)
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    I see it as two very different issues. The turning of Greenism into a religion is a totally different topic from whether or not environmental concerns are valid.
    I'm glad you addressed this.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by cascademn View Post
    I agree it currently seems to be a media obsession, and it's now a catch word of sorts. Like, it's 'cool' and sophisticated to be environmental, or something.

This bothers me, mostly because I'd say it's one of my highest values, and I've cared about all of it for a long time, before it crossed most peoples' radars. I'd say I care more about nature than people. To be truthful. I don't think it's a religion for me.

But I can see why it seems like a religion for society at large now, when it's just the new phrase and everyone's just suddenly becoming environmentally conscious, when they maybe weren't before.
    Agreed 100%. I don't think the current environmentalism trend is doing a lot to help the, you know, environment.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    A few days ago, I was grocery shopping in the produce section and there was a pregnant woman there with two children. Another woman walked up to her and told her, in a calm voice, that it was wrong to have another child, that she was killing the planet. I'm still having trouble believing that I actually saw that.

I mention Minnesota because it's the first liberal state I've lived in. Missouri, Texas, and Florida (all the states where I've previously lived) are pretty conservative by comparison.
    Yet another example of people wanting to identify themselves with the "right" group and to identify others with the "wrong" group so as to sleep better at night. In that occurrence, that woman was probably channeling her own general discontent into preachy environmentalism.

heart on fire

So many will cling on to any ideal to feel a part of things, people on the left will veer towards left wing causes and people on the right to right wing causes, but they take on pre-packaged thoughts and just take off with them with little consideration besides just running the pre-urped thoughts though their minds over and over and it's really scary to think about where that can ultimately lead. It's pretty ballsy to just walk up to a pregnant woman and berate her.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by sassafrassquatch View Post
    clear cutting
    Modern clear cutting is not the same as deforestation and does not hinder wildlife habitation.

over fishing
    put that way, who on earth would say "I endorse 'over fishing'!"?

strip mining
    yeah it has negative effects, so does every other sort of resource gathering. The biggest problem with environmentalists is the refusal to look at the existing options in terms of trade-offs. Instead they tend to overstate the benefits of their proposals, ignore the disadvantages and the facts, and label everything else as evil. How about a little objectivity?
    I don't wanna!

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Yet another example of people wanting to identify themselves with the "right" group and to identify others with the "wrong" group so as to sleep better at night. In that occurrence, that woman was probably channeling her own general discontent into preachy environmentalism.
    I'd bet she was probably a little jealous that she didn't have any children of her own. She looked older than the woman with the 3 kids (who looked pretty young). But that doesn't explain it all. There are lots of jealous people out there, but they don't normally do things like that. It struck me as the action of a religious zealot. I've seen some Christians do similar things, but I guess I'm more used to seeing that because of where I grew up?

Another example: I was walking down the sidewalk one day and someone comes up to me and asks "Do you have a minute for the environment?". My first reaction was "wtf?", but I didn't say that. Instead, I said "Sure, whatever". Then she started preaching to me. Go to the corner of Hennepin Ave and W Lake St in Minneapolis. You'll see 2-3 of them on corners of that intersection a few nights a week.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."