User Tag List

View Poll Results: Has the environmental movement become a religion?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

13 37.14%
  • No

16 45.71%
  • Other (explain)

6 17.14%
First 715161718 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Zergling View Post
    From a mod point of view, this thread seems to need a bit of cooling down. (Since it's just turned into three people arguing the same points over and over, and in the argument more to get the last word in/beat each other.)

Take a bit of a rest from the thread, come back in awhile.
    Okay, dad.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Okay, dad.
    That's not a very mature response, but I was going to point out that Zergling contributed something pretty contentious to this thread, too.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ExTJ

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    That's not a very mature response, but I was going to point out that Zergling contributed something pretty contentious to this thread, too.
    Yes, I know it's a bit inconsistent.

This isn't me telling you to stay out of the thread forever, just noticing that you guys have put quite a lot of posts up very quickly and some of them are a bit rough, so it's a suggestion along the lines of "take an hour break or so, do something else, take you mind off the thread for a bit, than come back again when ready".

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    I found his post to be condescending, that's why I responded the way I did. Did someone report this thread to the mods? Or did Zergling make a unilateral decision here?

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Zergling View Post
    Yes, I know it's a bit inconsistent.

This isn't me telling you to stay out of the thread forever, just noticing that you guys have put quite a lot of posts up very quickly and some of them are a bit rough, so it's a suggestion along the lines of "take an hour break or so, do something else, take you mind off the thread for a bit, than come back again when ready".
    Fair enough. The debate was lively, but I didn't think it was getting out of hand, like a Kiddo thread. I am not getting emotional over here, anyway.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Post your thoughts.
    I will be politicly incorrect here .

If you are living in the country where religion is so developed and well spread. It is inevitable that everything will start to look like a religion.

That is simply the way how people are thinking all over the society.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    I will be politicly incorrect here .

If you are living in the country where religion is so developed and well spread. It is inevitable that everything will start to look like a religion.

That is simply the way how people are thinking all over the society.
    Actually I'd say the opposite is true. When people don't have religion they start worshiping other things: politcal parties, scientific theories, their local sports team, their Porche, etc.... When there is widespread religion it is easy to recognize when people become fanatical about other things. In the absense of religion people are unaware of their own natural nuttiness.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    INFJ

I would not categorize environmentalism as a religion either, but I do agree that in the absence of religion people tend to glob onto other things with a degree of fervor.

As for the current spike in environmental interest, I say to the average citizen do whatever you can that makes sense to you and don't freak out!!! We are grappling with some big issues here....watch for regulation to happen and new programs to emerge. Those will be the drivers of big change.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    Actually I'd say the opposite is true. When people don't have religion they start worshiping other things: politcal parties, scientific theories, their local sports team, their Porche, etc.... When there is widespread religion it is easy to recognize when people become fanatical about other things. In the absense of religion people are unaware of their own natural nuttiness.
    Interesting point. Perhaps what I've seen are examples of hardcore atheists gone crazy.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Interesting point. Perhaps what I've seen are examples of hardcore atheists gone crazy.
    Heh it could be, but I think it's more likely that you've encounted some of the Pagan/nature worshippers that have adopted some modern environmental ideas into their existing religion.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com