User Tag List

View Poll Results: Has the environmental movement become a religion?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

13 37.14%
  • No

16 45.71%
  • Other (explain)

6 17.14%
First 61415161718 Last

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    I think that statement is untrue. I think it comes from a bias that you have that Al Gore = environmental, anti-Al Gore = anti-environmental. That conclusion is wrong. It doesn't hold up.
    I'm not saying it's true 100% of the time, did you think I was? Can't you see the grey area? If I had to guess I'd say like 85%.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Could you maybe point how a radical environmentalist is being more "religious" then say a radical anti-abortion activist for example?
    Unlike environmentalism, abortion is a pretty limited issue. I see abortion being more along the lines of a single commandment (perhaps the antithesis of 'though shalt not kill'), rather than an entire religion.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Unlike environmentalism, abortion is a pretty limited issue. I see abortion being more along the lines of a single commandment (perhaps the antithesis of 'though shalt not kill'), rather than an entire religion.
    Alright, replace "radical anti-abortionist" with "radical right-winger", that's more broad.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Alright, replace "radical anti-abortionist" with "radical right-winger", that's more broad.
    Well, since the typical radical right-winger probably is religious, I don't see how you can validate your point with that example.

MBTI
    ESFJ

You'd have to explain how their beliefs/behavior were "religious" in nature. I've already shown how radical environmentalism can be. I am not saying that the radical right aren't "religious" (and, in fact, are often what we normally call religious), but I've given multiple examples for the environmentalist side already.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Well, since the typical radical right-winger probably is religious, I don't see how you can validate your point with that example.
    Isn't the environmentalist religious as well...right heh? But I'm talking about radical right wingers, that's about politics.

But fine, you pick any radical group you want.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    You'd have to explain how their beliefs/behavior were "religious" in nature. I've already shown how radical environmentalism can be. I am not saying that the radical right aren't "religious" (and, in fact, are often what we normally call religious), but I've given multiple examples for the environmentalist side already.
    All I'm saying is if you use the loose definition of religion...you can call every political/social group religious, no one has really refuted that yet....so it doesn't really matter then if you call environmentalism religious besides for using a semantic tactic.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

All I'm saying is if you use the loose definition of religion...you can call every political/social group religious, no one has really refuted that yet....so it doesn't really matter then if you call environmentalism religious besides for using a semantic tactic.
    You can call some political groups religious with a loose definition, not all.

MBTI
    ESFJ

I think I have refuted that. An environmentally-minded person does not have a "religious" belief. The radical groups I've mentioned before do have this type of belief. I think that delineation is valid. I wouldn't say the average Democrat or Republican or Libertarian has a "religious" political belief. Some might.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ExTJ

From a mod point of view, this thread seems to need a bit of cooling down. (Since it's just turned into three people arguing the same points over and over, and in the argument more to get the last word in/beat each other.)

Take a bit of a rest from the thread, come back in awhile.