User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Results 41 to 50 of 65

  1. #41
    Analytical Dreamer Coriolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    17,524

    Default

    I just moved a handful of nasty, useless stuff to Off-Topic posts. Quit sniping and play nice.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

  2. #42
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tellenbach View Post
    I'm not aware of a single good idea coming from the American left so I'd have to oppose these as well.
    Right, abolishing slavery was a terrible idea. Giving women the right to vote was a terrible idea. Stupid leftists.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  3. #43
    deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Posts
    3,953

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis
    Most people in prison are non-violent, and not a threat to anyone. It is, in fact, far cheaper to give a few handouts, especially to young people struggling to get started in a bad environment than to incarcerate them for years later. As often happens, the course of action that is morally correct and humane makes best financial sense, too.
    I'm opposed to putting drug addicts in prison. Prison should be reserved for the violent or for those who've done grievous harm to others like a drunk driver. I don't think welfare is the solution because I believe able-bodied people should have to work for their pay. I don't think you are addressing the root causes of a bad environment by just dumping money on the problem. In fact, welfare requirements often drive out the father, resulting in broken homes which lead to deviant social behavior.

    People have suffered discrimination based on others' simple suspicion that they were gay.
    Everyone's a victim (If you are ugly, fat, dumb, short, bald, Christian, gay, etc). Unless the level of discrimination is systemic, we should find other means of addressing the problem.

    Whether you consider marriage or military service a right, a privilege, or a duty, making it available to some parts of the population and not others without a compelling state interest is discrimination.
    I disagree with the compelling interest requirement. Society gets to decide through elections, whether or not to grant certain privileges and what those privileges are.

    On the wage gap, it is real, even correcting for the factors you mention. It is interesting to look at those factors on their own, however. Doing so reveals disparities in education, exposure to opportunities, and cultural expectation that together serve to steer women into lower paying jobs. This does indeed depress the overall fraction of female to male earnings beyond the fraction when the corrections are taken into account.
    You are wrong, but I have a headache right now so I'll have to postpone the correction.

    You are correct that the Democrats, especially in Southern states, used to promote more racist policies, while the Republicans - the "Party of Lincoln" - promoted emancipation and reconstruction.
    Not just the south. FDR was a North Eastern (New York) liberal who embraced several racist policies (internment of Japanese and ignoring/harming blacks during the Depression). Margaret Sanger, another racist and lefty, was born in NY.
    Senator Rand Paul is alive because of modern medicine and because his attacker punches like a girl.

  4. #44
    untitled Chanaynay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Posts
    5,151

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Poindexter Arachnid View Post
    Man...you aren't going to be very popular here, noob.
    I give you a month before you are banned.

    Either way, special interest groups exaggerate everything to the point of absurdity.

    "They're taking our guns away, we can't believe in God anymore, we can't get married, if I go outside my house I'm going to be raped, I'm constantly profiled by the LAPD and its making my high blood pressure flare up, etc."

    Frankly, I'm sick of hearing all of the whining.

    Why does everybody have to be some entitled sensitive pussy nowadays?

    Life isn't fair, assholes. It's a rigged game.
    If you listened more than you preached, you'd realize this kinda quickly.

    Now wipe your chin and get out there and play ball.
    I don't see what you're arguing here.

    Basically life deals you what cards you get and you should just accept them? That's how I interpreted it anyway.

    I dunno, I don't really view things like these as whining.
    7w6 - 2w3 - 8w7 sx/so


  5. #45
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Posts
    1,232

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Right, abolishing slavery was a terrible idea.
    That was the Republicans.

    Giving women the right to vote was a terrible idea. Stupid leftists.
    That was a mistake, yeah.

  6. #46
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Posts
    1,232

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chanaynay View Post
    Basically life deals you what cards you get and you should just accept them? That's how I interpreted it anyway.
    It's called "being an adult".

  7. #47
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Poindexter Arachnid View Post
    That was the Republicans.
    Republicans were the liberals at the time of the civil war and abolishing slavery upset the social order, so it was left-wing by definition.

    That was a mistake, yeah.
    Is this a joke?
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  8. #48
    untitled Chanaynay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Posts
    5,151

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Poindexter Arachnid View Post
    It's called "being an adult".
    So being an adult is accepting inequality and living through it? Sorry, being an adult was never really for me anyway.
    7w6 - 2w3 - 8w7 sx/so


  9. #49
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    13,991

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    the world is officially going backwards

    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...p_ref=politics
    That's true, although in a good way. If a student wants to write about God, Jesus, or the Virgin Mary in school, this should be allowed.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

  10. #50
    Analytical Dreamer Coriolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    17,524

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tellenbach View Post
    I'm opposed to putting drug addicts in prison. Prison should be reserved for the violent or for those who've done grievous harm to others like a drunk driver. I don't think welfare is the solution because I believe able-bodied people should have to work for their pay. I don't think you are addressing the root causes of a bad environment by just dumping money on the problem. In fact, welfare requirements often drive out the father, resulting in broken homes which lead to deviant social behavior.
    This last is definitely a problem. I have read of cases where fathers leave home, simply so that their family can get help in time of dire need. Similarly members of the "working poor" sometimes have had to leave jobs and stay home with children because they make too little to pay their bills, but too much to get any kind of assistance at all. Programs that force people into these counterproductive choices are just poor programs. It is far cheaper to give a poor family a child care subsidy or free health care while the parents stay employed, than to force them to quit altogether and draw more costly assistance.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tellenbach View Post
    Everyone's a victim (If you are ugly, fat, dumb, short, bald, Christian, gay, etc). Unless the level of discrimination is systemic, we should find other means of addressing the problem.
    For certain categories, the discrimination and sometimes outright abuse is systemic. Gay people fall into this category. Yes, statistics show that people who are ugly, fat, short, etc. don't fare as well in many employment and dating situations, but they aren't usually denied housing, prevented from adopting children or legalizing their relationships, or kept from contributing their skills to their country in time of need. Ideally, people would treat everyone as an individual, with respect and lack of pre-judgment. This seems to be too big a pill for many folks to swallow, though, so we break it into more manageable pieces, getting them to acknowledge the fundamental humanity of blacks, then Jews, then women, then gays, then Latinos, then disabled, then older workers, then . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by Tellenbach View Post
    I disagree with the compelling interest requirement. Society gets to decide through elections, whether or not to grant certain privileges and what those privileges are.
    Society, at least our society, has already decided that our very citizenship will convey equal justice under the law. Based on this, local jurisdictions and private institutions do not get to single out one group or another for separate treatment without that compelling interest.[/QUOTE]
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 294
    Last Post: 10-07-2017, 08:07 PM
  2. [MBTItm] ENTP wants to get shy people to open up.
    By EricHanson in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 06-16-2010, 09:26 PM
  3. I don't want to end up with a guy who's just like my dad...
    By Queen Kat in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 02-06-2010, 08:30 PM
  4. [INTJ] I want to learn something deep or profound
    By ygolo in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 08-25-2009, 11:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO