User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Results 31 to 40 of 65

  1. #31
    Senior Member prplchknz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    yupp
    Posts
    29,781

    Default

    this thread was created more as an answer to the misconception of whenever one group tries to start a movement, people start freaking out and insisting they're trying to overthrow the dominant group. when really they just want the same amount of peanutbutter on their sandwich as everyone else
    In no likes experiment.

    that is all

    i dunno what else to say so

  2. #32
    deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Posts
    3,953

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Poindexter Arachnid
    Man...you aren't going to be very popular here, noob.
    The right thing to do is very frequently an unpopular thing to do.

    I give you a month before you are banned.
    That's fine.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mole
    And quite naturally we don't see child, sexual abuse unless we have had a National Judicial Enquiry into child abuse like Ireland, or a National Royal Commission into child abuse like Australia.
    In the US, we find out about child sexual abuse from all the lawsuits with priests and Boy Scout troop leaders.
    Senator Rand Paul is alive because of modern medicine and because his attacker punches like a girl.

  3. #33
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,536

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tellenbach View Post
    I want more happiness in the world and that means eliminating most welfare except for those with disabilities.
    It may surprise you but the liberal democracy of Oz is setting about limiting welfare, even the Old Age Pension.

    However both welfare and the military act as flywheels in the capitalist economy. So both welfare and the military are essential parts of modern capitalism.

    And so as we become more prosperous and peaceful, we are limiting nuclear weapons and look forward to banning them. And as we become more prosperous and peaceful, we look forward to limiting our standing armies.

    So as our military spending decreases our dependence on welfare to act as the flywheel of capitalism will only increase.

  4. #34
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,536

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tellenbach View Post
    In the US, we find out about child sexual abuse from all the lawsuits with priests and Boy Scout troop leaders.
    Yes this is the individual approach and leaves the child abusing institutions untouched.

    So to learn the extent of institutional child abuse it is necessary to have a National Judicial Enquiry or a National Royal Commission with wide and extensive powers as has been achieved in Ireland and Australia.

    Unfortunately your country is ruled by extreme individualism so child abusing institutions have been able to hide their crimes against children.

  5. #35
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Posts
    1,232

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    this thread was created more as an answer to the misconception of whenever one group tries to start a movement, people start freaking out and insisting they're trying to overthrow the dominant group. when really they just want the same amount of peanutbutter on their sandwich as everyone else
    Generally, "they" are narcissistic crusaders who want to bully everybody "not-like-them".
    Or they're susceptible toolbags who wish to appear "enlightened" or "cool" in front of their peers.

    "Peanut Butter" is hardly the end goal--it's almost always motivated by petty self-interest.

  6. #36
    Senior Member prplchknz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    yupp
    Posts
    29,781

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Poindexter Arachnid View Post
    Generally, "they" are narcissistic crusaders who want to crush everybody "not-like-them".
    Or they're susceptible toolbags who wish to appear "enlightened" or "cool" in front of their peers.

    "Peanut Butter" is hardly the end goal--it's almost always motivated by petty self-interest.
    that's not true. every reason i believe in a cause, has been for equal rights nothing more nothing less. I'm not saying there aren't crusaders and people trying to make themselves rulers. I'm just saying that's not always the case.
    In no likes experiment.

    that is all

    i dunno what else to say so

  7. #37
    Analytical Dreamer Coriolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    17,582

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tellenbach View Post
    I don't want to pay for prisons or for welfare, but prisons are needed to house the violent criminals. Welfare just creates government dependency and encourages laziness. Furthermore, studies show that welfare recipients are far unhappier than people not on welfare but who're in the same income class. I want more happiness in the world and that means eliminating most welfare except for those with disabilities.
    Most people in prison are non-violent, and not a threat to anyone. It is, in fact, far cheaper to give a few handouts, especially to young people struggling to get started in a bad environment than to incarcerate them for years later. As often happens, the course of action that is morally correct and humane makes best financial sense, too.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tellenbach View Post
    I acknowledge that which is real. The reality is: it's nearly impossible to discriminate against a gay person unless he/she first tells you he/she's gay. Furthermore, marriage is not a right; it's a privilege that should be decided state by state. Serving in the military is also not a right, so I'm a bit confused when people talk about "gay rights". There is no such right as marriage or serving in the military. If the people vote to grant these privileges, I'd have no problem with it.

    I've already addressed feminist concerns of wage disparity (a myth) and exploitation by pornographers and Hollywood producers. Very frequently, it's lefties who support pornography. Larry Flynt is a Democrat donor.
    Well, the data show otherwise. People have suffered discrimination based on others' simple suspicion that they were gay. Sometimes the suspicion was correct, other times not. This is what happens in witch hunts of any kind; not everyone affected is an actual "witch". Whether you consider marriage or military service a right, a privilege, or a duty, making it available to some parts of the population and not others without a compelling state interest is discrimination. In fact, that's the definition of discrimination. From another perspective, the nation has the right to the service of all its citizens, not just those who are straight, or male for that matter.

    As for pornography, from what I see, rightists support and benefit from the economics of it; leftists support it as a free speech concern; and those who really get into it tend to be apolitical. On the wage gap, it is real, even correcting for the factors you mention. It is interesting to look at those factors on their own, however. Doing so reveals disparities in education, exposure to opportunities, and cultural expectation that together serve to steer women into lower paying jobs. This does indeed depress the overall fraction of female to male earnings beyond the fraction when the corrections are taken into account.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tellenbach View Post
    On civil rights: this was a right-wing cause until lefties infiltrated the various civil rights organizations and took over. Al Gore's father voted against the Civil Rights Act. Woodrow Wilson (a lefty) was a racist who opposed racial integration in the military. FDR (another lefty) passed two New Deal legislative acts that hurt poor blacks in the south (the National Recovery Administration and the Fair Labor Standards Act). These two pieces of legislation resulted in half a million poor blacks losing their jobs.
    This starts to be more about semantics and labels than anything else. You are correct that the Democrats, especially in Southern states, used to promote more racist policies, while the Republicans - the "Party of Lincoln" - promoted emancipation and reconstruction. The fact that at some point groups realigned themselves does not change the fact that there are groups that work to promote racial (and gender and other) equality, and groups that do not. If more Republicans embodied the ideals of Lincoln, and even true fiscal conservatism, I would probably vote for them.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

  8. #38
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default







    .....



    Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Well, the data show otherwise. People have suffered discrimination based on others' simple suspicion that they were gay. Sometimes the suspicion was correct, other times not. This is what happens in witch hunts of any kind; not everyone affected is an actual "witch". Whether you consider marriage or military service a right, a privilege, or a duty, making it available to some parts of the population and not others without a compelling state interest is discrimination. In fact, that's the definition of discrimination. From another perspective, the nation has the right to the service of all its citizens, not just those who are straight, or male for that matter.
    In general, yes. One of the obvious inequities in a DADT situation is "needing to hide" -- such as the fact that hets can talk about their weekend or holiday plans, their partners, and their families without worry while those discriminated against aren't allowed to reciprocate without being punished. One small slip, and now they can be discriminated against... but all of that has been documented in endless court cases.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  9. #39
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,536

    Default

    C'mon the West is based on the values: freedom and equality, evidence and reason.

    And we have discovered the means to freedom and equality, evidence and reason, and they are liberal democracy which limits power and increases freedom, and regulated and competitive capitalism which gives us properity, and the scientific method which gives us new discoveries.

    Our values, democracy, capitalism, and science, grew out of the European Enlightenment of the 17th and 18th centuries.

  10. #40
    Senior Member prplchknz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    yupp
    Posts
    29,781

    Default

    the world is officially going backwards

    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...p_ref=politics
    In no likes experiment.

    that is all

    i dunno what else to say so

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 294
    Last Post: 10-07-2017, 08:07 PM
  2. [MBTItm] ENTP wants to get shy people to open up.
    By EricHanson in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 06-16-2010, 09:26 PM
  3. I don't want to end up with a guy who's just like my dad...
    By Queen Kat in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 02-06-2010, 08:30 PM
  4. [INTJ] I want to learn something deep or profound
    By ygolo in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 08-25-2009, 11:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO