Ewww is the new sexy

Hi! Ask me things, maybe I'll answer them! Just click here

And here's my functions: Se-Te-Fi-Fe-Ni-Ti-Ne-Si

MBTI
    FiTe
    Enneagram
    YwX sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    I keep reading this as swedish fish unwed party. Disappointed that there is nothing about that
    I honestly did the same. Then it was just about toilets, boo.
    I'm a green bean killing machine.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by unsung View Post
    like the news story about the daycare that wouldn't use gendered language to prevent children from adopting traditional gender roles.
    Kind of wish that one was true.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Kind of wish that one was true.
    It is. But the story got twisted in the media into "SWEDISH DAYCARE REFUSES TO ACKNOWLEDGE BIOLOGICAL SEX". But there actually is a daycare in Stockholm where they don't use gendered language. I'm very curious to see how those children turn out later.

MBTI
    FiTe
    Enneagram
    YwX sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by unsung View Post
    It is. But the story got twisted in the media into "SWEDISH DAYCARE REFUSES TO ACKNOWLEDGE BIOLOGICAL SEX". But there actually is a daycare in Stockholm where they don't use gendered language. I'm very curious to see how those children turn out later.
    Meh, those kids won't be damaged enough to be interesting, how many kiddies honestly even think about genders. I don't know if they go much further than "boys have penises and girls don't".

There was a woman (or a couple, idk the story in the media didn't really say anyting about the father if I remember correctly) that refused to let anyone know what gender her youngest child was, only used gender neutral words when she talked with the kid, didn't let the kid use blue or pink things, bla bla bla. The kid had a neutral name as well, now that would be an interesting person to meet in the future.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Senkrad View Post
    Meh, those kids won't be damaged enough to be interesting, how many kiddies honestly even think about genders. I don't know if they go much further than "boys have penises and girls don't".
    There's a pretty amusing story of a kid in daycare becoming convinced that everyone has a penis but only girls wear berets.

Studies indicate that the answer is actually quite a lot. Young children of a pre-school age studiously look for ways to classify gender and how to identify themselves. There is debate over whether or not this is an innate drive or something children learn to do because they quickly pick up on the fact that assigned gender effects basically everything. I lean toward the latter.

Now, I don't think merely changing pronouns is going to make a huge difference, not because they're small kids, but because I don't think a mere word swap would make a huge difference for anyone. But I do think it would make some difference, a step in the right direction if you will. The little ways we just inject an assumed gender scheme into our daily communications is one of the most insidious yet mostly unnecessary ways the gender binary is maintained.

Quote Originally Posted by Senkrad View Post
    There was a woman (or a couple, idk the story in the media didn't really say anyting about the father if I remember correctly) that refused to let anyone know what gender her youngest child was, only used gender neutral words when she talked with the kid, didn't let the kid use blue or pink things, bla bla bla. The kid had a neutral name as well, now that would be an interesting person to meet in the future.
    A big question would be whether or not the child went to public school. You'd practically have to home school a child to avoid gender socialization. You'd also either have to remove TV or provide a running counter commentary to it. It is extremely difficult for parents alone to keep their children from being gender socialized.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    FiTe
    Enneagram
    YwX sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    There's a pretty amusing story of a kid in daycare becoming convinced that everyone has a penis but only girls wear berets.

Studies indicate that the answer is actually quite a lot. Young children of a pre-school age studiously look for ways to classify gender and how to identify themselves. There is debate over whether or not this is an innate drive or something children learn to do because they quickly pick up on the fact that assigned gender effects basically everything. I lean toward the latter.

Now, I don't think merely changing pronouns is going to make a huge difference, not because they're small kids, but because I don't think a mere word swap would make a huge difference for anyone. But I do think it would make some difference, a step in the right direction if you will. The little ways we just inject an assumed gender scheme into our daily communications is one of the most insidious yet mostly unnecessary ways the gender binary is maintained.
    Oh, well, it was a long time ago I was a small child. I honestly can't remember thinking about gender but who even remembers everthing they did as a kid. As you said, just changing pronouns and pretending everyone is the same for a while and not removing just about everything else that to do with gender won't make much of a difference in the end.

A big question would be whether or not the child went to public school. You'd practically have to home school a child to avoid gender socialization. You'd also either have to remove TV or provide a running counter commentary to it. It is extremely difficult for parents alone to keep their children from being gender socialized.
    This kid was in kindergarden, but I don't remember if the teachers knew the gender or not. It was a couple of years ago I read about this, but the kid was not home schooled.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

- You find a way to sterilize a goGirl so that the spread of disease for women standing up to pee is 0%, and I'll take you up on that offer any day. Seriously.
    - I don't know all the details, but I'm almost positive if a man chose to sit down to pee he'd shake off long before actually standing and moving around. So.... I don't understand the whole "it does little good to shake off sitting down" part. Even if you lifted and squatted above a little bit, the shaking off would still happen mainly in the toilet.
    - Anything that personal will lack compliance. No one is going to be paid to check and make sure dudes sit down to pee. If so, I'll take that job any day. Easy money. They'd be better off installing urinals that would cause less splashing along the toilet seats for instances that only require voiding.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTP

Be careful how you sit down, gents.
    Because you're, like, promoting rape culture.

http://www.vice.com/read/swedish-fem...sit-on-the-bus

"My point is that this is part and parcel of the kind of oppression that leads to women being raped, getting lower salaries, and being exposed to violence in relationships."
    I ABSOLUTELY see the correlation...

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

This sounds absurd today, but I expect legislation like this to become common with future generations. Harrison Bergeron is science-fiction, but that way of thinking is gaining popularity.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."