User Tag List

First 123

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I don't think the cause is lawsuits. I think the cause is the fact that our lives as so comfortable, coupled with the fact that serious child injuries/deaths are incredibly rare and random. They're out of our control and humans have this habit of overestimating the risk of things we can't control (like terrorism) and underestimating the risk of things we can control (like automobile accidents). One of the most dangerous things people do every day is drive, but we don't think twice about it, while some people are terrified of things like terrorism and flying. In some ways, it's an innate flaw in our psychology.
    Most of the time, when I run across an alarmist, counterproductive, or just plain stupid rule or decision, the justification I see is based on avoiding lawsuits. A modicum of realism is forced upon us when it comes to driving since we are all so dependent on it now for basic things like just getting to work. Even so, much of motor vehicle law is driven not by what makes sense and keeps people safe, but by what avoids lawsuits, and of course, what makes money for the enforcing jurisdictions.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Most of the time, when I run across an alarmist, counterproductive, or just plain stupid rule or decision, the justification I see is based on avoiding lawsuits. A modicum of realism is forced upon us when it comes to driving since we are all so dependent on it now for basic things like just getting to work. Even so, much of motor vehicle law is driven not by what makes sense and keeps people safe, but by what avoids lawsuits, and of course, what makes money for the enforcing jurisdictions.
    Your explanation would make sense if humans were rational calculators, but we're not. We are emotional beings who use reason to justify our gut instincts. Well, the vast majority of us anyway.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Your explanation would make sense if humans were rational calculators, but we're not. We are emotional beings who use reason to justify our gut instincts. Well, the vast majority of us anyway.
    The reverse is in fact true. Rational calculation would reveal the shortsightedness of putting lawsuit avoidance ahead of all other goals. It is alarmism and ultimately fear. All those waivers and releases and pages upon pages of legalese that attend so much of ordinary modern life are the rational veneer people try to disguise their emotionalism in. You are right, though, that far too little rational calculation is going on.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...