User Tag List

First 456

Results 51 to 58 of 58

  1. #51
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Posts
    2,319

    Default

    that plot twist where we realize he was trying to legalize gay marriage by making its opponents look absurd

  2. #52
    Emperor/Dictator kyuuei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    8
    Posts
    13,878

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Not so much cheeky as bewildered how you interpret my words.
    I think it's an understandable way to read what you wrote. I'm not TRYING to misrepresent you. But I am saying you said "I know enough to judge the family as a whole. I think they're all assholes. Thus, the son is a victim of their assholery." It flowed together seamlessly.. It wasn't like there was a disconnection in the paragraph. You're talking about how you think about a thing, and connect it with "thus..".. Of course it's how I'm going to read it. All of it was shoved together. Without anything to make me go re-read it, like a comment I took to be cheeky..

    Apparently, I know more about them than you do. I watched documentaries about them. Fred was not the one picketing funerals. He sat in his house and held masses in their private church. His children, their spouses and their children did. These people, along with their patriarch, are 'sufficiently guilty of assholery to be subjected to a picketed funeral', because that is what they did to others. I said nothing about hate or death or evil by association. You made all of that up. The dissident son becauses a casualty presicely because he does not deserve to suffer a picketed funeral, but since he is one and the others are plenty, his feelings take a back seat, assuming that he cares at all.
    I'm not here to argue semantics all day long.. Apparently I read things differently than you're intending. I don't see any reason to picket a funeral other than hate, so instead of writing "picketing a funeral and thus causing frowny faces for the son" I write "hate" because that's what it is. It is hate that motivates the picketing. I didn't make it up out of thin air.

    I see what you're saying now about the son--and in re-reading it, did I not point out "Oh, I could have read it wrong--which would still put the son in the realm of what I'm saying, it just takes the more personal issue out of the equation. Dealing with hate from others no matter how good of a person he decides to be, despite himself hate is just going to flow his way just because his family was a bunch of assholes. He doesn't matter at all to anyone." ??

    Are you looking for an apology? Are you looking for me to completely edit all of my posts so that I take the personal element out of the last one? Are you just re-affirming what you meant while riddling the post with as many aggressive remarks as possible because... I don't know? (If you claim they're not aggressive, I'll have to disagree with you. That's a subjective thing, and I'm sure you can see there's less aggressive ways to re-affirm your points that you just didn't opt for.)
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

    Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

    In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

  3. #53
    Senior Member Nicodemus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    9,129

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    I think it's an understandable way to read what you wrote. I'm not TRYING to misrepresent you. But I am saying you said "I know enough to judge the family as a whole. I think they're all assholes. Thus, the son is a victim of their assholery." It flowed together seamlessly.. It wasn't like there was a disconnection in the paragraph. You're talking about how you think about a thing, and connect it with "thus..".. Of course it's how I'm going to read it. All of it was shoved together. Without anything to make me go re-read it, like a comment I took to be cheeky..
    I can only guess why you continue to misrepresent my words after you have been corrected. I understand the need to justify an earlier mistake, but repeating it kind of defeats the purpose.

    Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    I'm not here to argue semantics all day long.. Apparently I read things differently than you're intending. I don't see any reason to picket a funeral other than hate, so instead of writing "picketing a funeral and thus causing frowny faces for the son" I write "hate" because that's what it is. It is hate that motivates the picketing. I didn't make it up out of thin air.
    We are not all like you. If I were to picket his funeral (which I would not do simply because it is not worth the bother), it would be out of a sort of justice, not something so personal as hate. It would be supposed to anger the relatives who care, the ones who picket other people's funerals to anger them and praise their god. The son, being uninvolved, probably would not care either way. If he did, however, he would be collateral damage, not the target. By the way, this is the last time I am going to clarify this point that, I think, can only be misunderstood if you assume some pretty warped sense of justice on my part.

    Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    I see what you're saying now about the son--and in re-reading it, did I not point out "Oh, I could have read it wrong--which would still put the son in the realm of what I'm saying, it just takes the more personal issue out of the equation. Dealing with hate from others no matter how good of a person he decides to be, despite himself hate is just going to flow his way just because his family was a bunch of assholes. He doesn't matter at all to anyone." ??
    He does not matter enough, especially since he does not appear to side with his father or the rest of his family. The harm done to him would likely be minimal.

    Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    Are you looking for an apology? Are you looking for me to completely edit all of my posts so that I take the personal element out of the last one? Are you just re-affirming what you meant while riddling the post with as many aggressive remarks as possible because... I don't know? (If you claim they're not aggressive, I'll have to disagree with you. That's a subjective thing, and I'm sure you can see there's less aggressive ways to re-affirm your points that you just didn't opt for.)
    I do not take kindly to being deliberately misrepresented and continually besmirched out of what appeared to be moral indignation over a difference in opinion. Hence my tone. I am not looking for an apology, just for you to stop doing what you seem to be doing.

  4. #54
    As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    2,879

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Conduit View Post
    He's drinking tea with Mandela.
    Then they must be in the other place...everyone knows that only hard liquor and coffee is served in heaven.

    I read that link that someone posted. From what was written, it sounded like his "conversion" was the onset of a mental disorder but things were made much worse by his own personal tendencies. As for his children, it's natural that their stories would conflict. Some of them may be incapable of acknowledging the abuse/their upbringing because the denial is the only thing that's holding them together.

    What the heck happened with him getting excommunicated from his own church anyway?

  5. #55
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Redbone View Post
    Then they must be in the other place...everyone knows that only hard liquor and coffee is served in heaven.

    I read that link that someone posted. From what was written, it sounded like his "conversion" was the onset of a mental disorder but things were made much worse by his own personal tendencies. As for his children, it's natural that their stories would conflict. Some of them may be incapable of acknowledging the abuse/their upbringing because the denial is the only thing that's holding them together.

    What the heck happened with him getting excommunicated from his own church anyway?
    The news first came out when his son Nathan posted something on FB about his dad's imminent demise:
    http://www.ibtimes.com/why-was-fred-...-facebook-post

    Here is a lengthy explanation:
    http://www.examiner.com/article/west...tion-explained

    They claim to have gotten this from the Topeka Capital-Journal on March 17.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  6. #56
    hypersane Hive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,005

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lexicon View Post
    I'm sure there's bias on both sides, but honestly, I wouldn't be surprised in the least if his voluntarily excommunicated sons' accounts are more accurate. That, of course, could be a bias of my own, but I accept that possibility.
    I wouldn't be surprised either. I just wanted to refrain from being totally condemning until I had the whole picture. And in light of what Jennifer posted below, I might have to retract what I thought about his morals. Even though the results of his work as an attorney were a good thing, him being racist or not.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Yeah, I noticed this too and came here to share info:

    Considering what I've read about Nate and the other family members who have left, I'd have to give them more credibility in general [the sheer fact they left was because they had a more balanced perspective], and while I can't be sure of all the context of him using the DN slang and although Nate was younger at the time (and thus was looking at it from the perspective of a kid dealing with an abusive father) so some things might be out of whack, I don't think he'd be making things up wholesale. It's pretty clear he heard his dad say these things and this is what he took away from those incidents in terms of his dad's attitudes.
    Yeah, I must admit I argued and drew conclusions without much knowledge of his background and relationship with his family. Although we can't determine who's really telling the truth, the story doesn't speak in Phelps Sr.'s favor.

  7. #57
    LadyLazarus
    Guest

    Default

    Dammit, he was my favorite Beatle too.

  8. #58
    Senior Member lowtech redneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    3,705

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by swordpath View Post
    Rust in Peace.
    Fred Phelps was Psychotron's secret identity!

    Ordinarily, I'd object to joyously picketing the funerals of assholes (for the sake of their loved ones and societal reciprocity), but the Phelp's family has pretty much been asking for it in a very specific fashion (even Jack Chick probably hated the man for his trolling at funerals).

    I can also understand the logic that 'turning the other cheek' in such situations might encourage other Westboro members to change their ways (presumably, that sort of dynamic played a role in Phelp's son leaving the church), but I guess I'm just not altruistic enough to care under these circumstances.

Similar Threads

  1. Kaczynski is dead - along with about 100 others
    By Little Linguist in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 04-15-2010, 12:39 PM
  2. Another one bites the dust (Corey Haim is dead)
    By lowtech redneck in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-11-2010, 09:29 AM
  3. Its 3:00am NT board is dead. AMUSE ME.
    By Valuable_Money in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-22-2009, 09:23 AM
  4. Billy Mays is dead now too! Damn!
    By ajblaise in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 06-29-2009, 10:12 AM
  5. A Paradigm Shift or "Genius is Dead"
    By Eldanen in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-11-2008, 12:16 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO