12 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Default "Online bullying – a new and ugly sport for liberal commenters"

http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...ral-commenters

Discuss.

Avoid flaming, please. Let's keep the mess in the Graveyard.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

I've run into "check your privilege" crowds before. They're really annoying. And the attitude behind all of it is counter-productive, IMO. "Check your privilege" is all about silencing people, trying to make people uncomfortable expressing their opinion because of the color of their skin, which genitals they have, etc. What our society actually needs is more empathy, not self-appointed dialogue police who actually end up escalating hostilities rather than calming them.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

This article is fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I've run into a "check your privilege" crowds before. They're really annoying. And the attitude behind all of it is counter-productive, IMO. "Check your privilege" is all about silencing people, trying to make people uncomfortable expressing their opinion because of the color of their skin, which genitals they have, etc. What our society actually needs is more empathy, not self-appointed dialogue police who actually end up escalating hostilities rather than calming them.
    It's people like this that make me not want to call myself a liberal, and I put a huge distance between them and I, and actually take quite a bit of delight of taking them down a peg when I can. The reason being is they're just like the social conservatives trying to restrict things. These folks are meerly the other side of the coin.

It's ironically really, these type of liberals are doing to others what they themselves are trying to stop being done to them. Yet, they can't see it and refuse to see it. Nearly all of their arguments are coming from a lens of shaming and emotional pleading, not "equal rights" as they claim it to be. It's one thing to try and even the playing field a little to bring a proper level of fairness and opertunity, it's another to try and drag everyone down who you perceive as "above you" or more "well off" than you think. It so so so ticks me off. It's a big reason why I largely stay out of gay rights groups despite being a gay man. They attract a lot of these types of people and after a while I'll snap on them. But, since I'm in the minority they win by sheer noise level.

I am mostly at issue with the gender equality movement crowd. A large portion of them are fine, and it's a movement that needs to happen. That said, some take it way too far. Recently, one of my most beloved bands, Planningtorock (Janine Jam Rostron) released a new album, and I can not listen to it. The sheer bluntness and radicalness of the message wrecks it for me. The whole purpose of the album is about gender equality. That's fine on the surface, her second album W was as well in some respects. However, she's gone from "equal rights" to "if you subscribe to any gender roll at all you have to stop, you must have no label". She changed her name (legally) from Janine, to Jam for this reason. Some push so hard to just delete the word gender all together and shame anyone who dares to use any label at all. I was somewhat vocal about my views on this recently to a group online that really likes the band, and they all went after me saying I was the problem. I'm sorry, I like being a man?

Do what you want, don't force others to be what you want. This goes both ways, and many radical liberals are becoming the exact thing they faught. The article completely nails it with this early on:

The sad truth is that when it comes to the motivations behind this kind of commenting, it's basically the same as the GOD HATES FAGS guys – even though the values are the polar opposite.
    In truth, these kinds of liberals makes me more mad then those trying to turn back the clock on rights.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

the worst part is, they're bullying AND playing victim simultaneously. that's like taking alcohol and valium at the same time.

I've said it before, what I dislike about liberals is not so much their views (I would say I actually agree with more than 60% of them), it's them that's the problem.
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

What our society actually needs is more empathy, not self-appointed dialogue police who actually end up escalating hostilities rather than calming them.
    Totally agree with this. When I see people who are arguing for 'my side' who are behaving badly, I cringe in shame.
    4w5 sp/sx EII

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

"Online bullying – a new and ugly sport for liberal commenters"
    It's not a "new" sport at all.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

As far as I can tell, the entire liberal element is essentially pointless. It's not like this behavior is unique to liberals or even more common among them. Once you remove that element, the discussion becomes interchangeable with a discussion about mod rules and forum etiquette right here. Much of the same pleas for good behavior, much of the same questions about when rude behavior is justified or if there are some people with whom being civil is pointless.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

LadyLazarus

Is that person like 60 or something?
    New sport my ass.

deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Nothing new here. It's an Alinsky tactic to silence those who disagree with you. You also see similar behavior on college campuses with hordes of rabid college students shouting down conservative speakers so they can't even speak. See, there really is no rational defense of leftist ideology so the only strategy is to ignore or to attack.
    Senator Rand Paul is alive because of modern medicine and because his attacker punches like a girl.

Stansmith

Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    This article is fantastic.

It's people like this that make me not want to call myself a liberal, and I put a huge distance between them and I, and actually take quite a bit of delight of taking them down a peg when I can. The reason being is they're just like the social conservatives trying to restrict things. These folks are meerly the other side of the coin.

It's ironically really, these type of liberals are doing to others what they themselves are trying to stop being done to them. Yet, they can't see it and refuse to see it. Nearly all of their arguments are coming from a lens of shaming and emotional pleading, not "equal rights" as they claim it to be. It's one thing to try and even the playing field a little to bring a proper level of fairness and opertunity, it's another to try and drag everyone down who you perceive as "above you" or more "well off" than you think. It so so so ticks me off. It's a big reason why I largely stay out of gay rights groups despite being a gay man. They attract a lot of these types of people and after a while I'll snap on them. But, since I'm in the minority they win by sheer noise level.

I am mostly at issue with the gender equality movement crowd. A large portion of them are fine, and it's a movement that needs to happen. That said, some take it way too far. Recently, one of my most beloved bands, Planningtorock (Janine Jam Rostron) released a new album, and I can not listen to it. The sheer bluntness and radicalness of the message wrecks it for me. The whole purpose of the album is about gender equality. That's fine on the surface, her second album W was as well in some respects. However, she's gone from "equal rights" to "if you subscribe to any gender roll at all you have to stop, you must have no label". She changed her name (legally) from Janine, to Jam for this reason. Some push so hard to just delete the word gender all together and shame anyone who dares to use any label at all. I was somewhat vocal about my views on this recently to a group online that really likes the band, and they all went after me saying I was the problem. I'm sorry, I like being a man?

Do what you want, don't force others to be what you want. This goes both ways, and many radical liberals are becoming the exact thing they faught. The article completely nails it with this early on:

In truth, these kinds of liberals makes me more mad then those trying to turn back the clock on rights.
    I've run into "check your privilege" crowds before. They're really annoying. And the attitude behind all of it is counter-productive, IMO. "Check your privilege" is all about silencing people, trying to make people uncomfortable expressing their opinion because of the color of their skin, which genitals they have, etc. What our society actually needs is more empathy, not self-appointed dialogue police who actually end up escalating hostilities rather than calming them.

Couldn't have said it better.