User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I agree that the issue comes from both sides.. The worst is that the people trying to hard to be politically correct and righteous about the issues are fueling the fires they're trying to extinguish.

I got into a facebook war (unintentionally, I swear this time...) with a guy where--yeah, I sort of agreed with where he was getting at--but the WAY he did it was just so pretentiously righteous that the issue HAD to immediately resort to being a bigger issue than it ever should have been.

The simple situation: He was offended because he felt that something posted frequently in the group "Stupid Gay NF Shit" basically had the use of the word gay and he felt marginalized by it. So, he posted it out loud. Not in a TOTALLY stuck up way--but it was immediately, "How can we fix this problem?" and many people said "I don't see a problem." Someone else entirely jumped in, and started just attacking everyone and throwing out righteous asshattery for all of us poor bald people too stupid to realize how offensive it was.

My point was exactly this: regardless of what happened or what he was trying to accomplish, the way he went about it attacked people and put them on the defense.. and nothing can be done when that happens. He was actually working AGAINST what he wanted to accomplish--and alienated himself even further than the original hurt ever did.

The worst part was, it turned into this big argument that couldn't be taken back no matter how hard anyone tried, and all that really needed to be done was to PM the group leader and discuss it calmly with him.. because "gay" has several contexts, and the older definition fit the bill better than the homosexual definition does in all honesty.. So the dude could have just been experiencing a generation gap as he was much younger than the guy using the saying. All would have been fine in an easy, one on one conversation. Instead, it was a massacre that left me and several others unwilling to do anything about the issue one way or the other. It just got dropped like the box of hot garbage it was.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    As far as I can tell, the entire liberal element is essentially pointless. It's not like this behavior is unique to liberals or even more common among them. Once you remove that element, the discussion becomes interchangeable with a discussion about mod rules and forum etiquette right here. Much of the same pleas for good behavior, much of the same questions about when rude behavior is justified or if there are some people with whom being civil is pointless.
    I completely agree with this.

Just because someone argues on one subject whatever way it doesn't make them liberal or conservative. How can anyone know how someone leans from one argument?

The author has summarized a problem that is prevalent online, but it isn't a "liberal" specific issue. CNN and Fox are good examples of liberal and conservative issues in society.
    @Elfboy if you agree with 60% of liberal views, doesn't that make you liberal?
    Don't like my modera... Oh wait, wrong forum. Carry on.

ESTP, 8w7 sx/sp

Senior Member TheCheeseBurgerKing's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    the worst part is, they're bullying AND playing victim simultaneously. that's like taking alcohol and valium at the same time.

I've said it before, what I dislike about liberals is not so much their views (I would say I actually agree with more than 60% of them), it's them that's the problem.
    Agreed my fine (presumably gay) sir. I feel that liberals have the need to be right about their views, most all of them have a very proud air to them. Libretarianizm all the way. People dont even want to solve the problem in politiks they just wanna see who can yell the loudest and play popularity contest. Hopefully u r'nt offnded by my gay comment

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by TreeBob View Post
    I completely agree with this.
    Just because someone argues on one subject whatever way it doesn't make them liberal or conservative. How can anyone know how someone leans from one argument?
    The author has summarized a problem that is prevalent online, but it isn't a "liberal" specific issue. CNN and Fox are good examples of liberal and conservative issues in society.
    @<a href="http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/member.php?u=5684" target="_blank">Elfboy</a> if you agree with 60% of liberal views, doesn't that make you liberal?
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

MBTI
    yupp

I one time got in a facebook debate I pretty much called both sides idiots
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    The worst part was, it turned into this big argument that couldn't be taken back no matter how hard anyone tried, and all that really needed to be done was to PM the group leader and discuss it calmly with him.. because "gay" has several contexts, and the older definition fit the bill better than the homosexual definition does in all honesty.. So the dude could have just been experiencing a generation gap as he was much younger than the guy using the saying. All would have been fine in an easy, one on one conversation. Instead, it was a massacre that left me and several others unwilling to do anything about the issue one way or the other. It just got dropped like the box of hot garbage it was.

That's true, lol

garbage

Sometimes, people get disproportionately offended about things; and they drown out discussion about anything other than that thing. Nothing new, really.

But although the article doesn't point out a new phenomenon, it does deal with that existing phenomenon pretty well.

My big challenge is knowing how to respond to this kind of feedback, which comes in almost daily.
    • Acquiesce to every complaint of anyone anywhere on the internet, until we're putting trigger warnings at the top of posts that mention balloons because some people are globophobic (TRUE STORY!).
    • Align myself with insensitive assholes who defend their right to hate speech.
    • Don't bother.

For those of you who like to fight the good fight for social justice and language sensitivity online, before writing that Tumblr missive or firing off that privilege-checking comment, I'd love to encourage you to take a moment to ask yourself these questions:
    • Am I living my values with this exchange? If my goal is tolerance and sensitivity, am I embodying both those values in this conversation?
    • What are my motivations here? Do I want to make a difference, or just feel like I'm right? What would "making a difference" look like in this context?
    • Is this person an ally? How can I best communicate with them to ensure they stay that way?
    • What is my ultimate goal in my activism? Is this exchange the best use of my time to achieve that ultimate goal?
    Spot-on questions. Hopefully, it serves as a call-to-arms for the whole "actually understanding your own motivations" thing.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

The key thoughts for liberals to take from the article, in my opinion:

- Is this person an ally? How can I best communicate with them to ensure they stay that way?

- What is my ultimate goal in my activism? Is this exchange the best use of my time to achieve that ultimate goal?
    Speaking as a liberal, if I'm going to try to start a discussion with someone about a privilege issue, I'm going to do so in a way that's constructive, and in a way that doesn't make my side look bad. I can relate to people who, for example, are so sick of having to tell people that it's not acceptable to touch their natural hair without asking, that they don't have the energy to be nice about it anymore. But at the same time, you have to be strategic: are your tactics going to bring people to your side, or are they going to turn people against you?
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    One of my all-time favorite movie scenes!
    Only she who attempts the absurd can achieve the impossible... and then some.

MY BLOGS: https://freestylelines.blogspot.com/, https://tfthdiary.blogspot.com/
    TWITTER: https://twitter.com/angel_ss1
    TUMBLR: http://angelight1.tumblr.com/

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx