User Tag List

First 45678 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by PocketFullOf View Post
    I think the political system and the way elections are run promote voter apathy.
    Its called 'voter fatigue'; basically, frequent elections requiring effort on the part of the voter to stay informed depresses turnout among all but those who are most invested in an issue, candidate, or political faction: Voter fatigue - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The need to vote for individuals (as opposed to rigidly controlled functionaries of political parties), for numerous positions at multiple levels of government at least once every two years does tend to have that effect-Switzerland, another federalist country, has a similar problem, with frequent referenda making up for a lack of empowered individual candidates. I think its preferable to the alternatives, but it does seem to be a problem inherent to our political system.
    Likes PocketFullOf liked this post

deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Don't read too much into this election. It's still a slightly center left electorate, but the Dem base didn't turn out. The Senate will probably flip back in 2016. My predictions were all correct; I predicted a wave election and it was; I predicted an 8 seat pick-up and it will be once Begich concedes (I'm not counting the Louisiana run-off as part of this mid-term). I also predicted 800 seats changing place. We're at 775 seats switching to Republican statewide if we include the 2010 mid-terms.

Barring a stock market crash, a terrorist attack, or an Ebola outbreak, Hillary should win in 2016. Independents will vote for statist regimes when conditions are safe but they'll run back to conservatives when there is danger.
    Senator Rand Paul is alive because of modern medicine and because his attacker punches like a girl.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    Which is why I'm pessimistic.

I'm glad the Republicans won the overall Senate, but I can't get too excited when I plain and simply loathe the party leadership at this point-like I said months earlier, they share the same enemies as the Democrats, and now they are emboldened.
    There's hardly anyone in the country who should be happy that McConnell is still a senator.

Its called 'voter fatigue'; basically, frequent elections requiring effort on the part of the voter to stay informed depresses turnout among all but those who are most invested in an issue, candidate, or political faction: Voter fatigue - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The need to vote for individuals (as opposed to rigidly controlled functionaries of political parties), for numerous positions at multiple levels of government at least once every two years does tend to have that effect-Switzerland, another federalist country, has a similar problem, with frequent referenda making up for a lack of empowered individual candidates. I think its preferable to the alternatives, but it does seem to be a problem inherent to our political system.
    There's a lot more than sheer quantity of elections to make people apathetic. I'd say it's actually harder to come up with a reason to not be apathetic.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

I also just want to add that it is so aggravating to me to look at the mainstream media and see the way their business thrives on making up stories about how something interesting happened, never bothering to point out any of the reasons this is all so unremarkable and futile. Futility is pretty hard to sell.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    There's hardly anyone in the country who should be happy that McConnell is still a senator.
    He's a uniter, not a divider.

literally your mother PocketFullOf's Avatar
    MBTI
    NeTi
    Enneagram
    pot

He's a uniter, not a divider.
    He doesn't care at all about policy, all he cares about is furthering his career. I'm fiscally conservative, so I might be a Republican if they actually had a policy, but all they've been campaigning on for the last 6 years is "Obama only got elected because he is black, and we will try to block every single thing he does because he don't like that he got elected" So actually he is a divider but he's worse than that, he's a self-important divider who would rather see the country stagnate while he ices his backside than fix what he perceives to be wrong with the US. Obamacare is not the problem, the problem is people like McConnell who refuse to do job they were elected to do and reach across the isle to find a solution to issues this country faces in a way that benefits a majority of the citizens.

Taking a concept to it's logical end is rarely logical or relevant to the subject at hand.
    Johari Nohari
    7w6-3w2-1w9 / sCUA|I| / SER SEI
    Neutral Good
    bagfullofclocks | type me if you can

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Tellenbach View Post
    Independents will vote for statist regimes when conditions are safe but they'll run back to conservatives when there is danger.
    So they'll vote for conservatives in both cases.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Quote Originally Posted by PocketFullOf View Post
    Obamacare is not the problem, the problem is people like McConnell who refuse to do job they were elected to do and reach across the isle to find a solution to issues this country faces in a way that benefits a majority of the citizens.
    Obamacare is a key example of your very complaint.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

I think that if I were an elected government official, I'd promote a government funded on borrowed money and raise the debt as high as I could, just to see if the populous would remain indifferent to a financial collapse or if they would do something before that. Because if they aren't willing to do something about it, then they probably deserve it.

deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by PocketFullOf
    Obamacare is not the problem, the problem is people like McConnell who refuse to do job they were elected to do and reach across the isle to find a solution to issues this country faces in a way that benefits a majority of the citizens.
    Let's set the record straight. According to McConnell, Obama had just 2 meetings with him in 6 years. In six years, Obama met with Speaker Boehner a whopping 1 time. This "reaching across the isle" is a myth. Obama doesn't reach across the isle. Obamacare was passed with zero input from Republicans and that's one reason why it's so unpopular and why it's such a bad law. When Senator McCain tried to give him some input into Obamacare, Obama responded "We won."
    Senator Rand Paul is alive because of modern medicine and because his attacker punches like a girl.