User Tag List

View Poll Results: For or against?

31. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am against the legalizaton of Marijuana

3 9.68%
  • I am for the legalization of Marijuana

28 90.32%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What are your views on legalizing Marijuana?

4w3 so/sp

Marijuana hardly does any harm to the health and you would have to smoke a whole lot of joints to die from an over dose. Alcohol is much more dangerous, but it's legalized, because it's part of the culture and it would not be legalized under today's standards. Also cigarettes would be prohibited due to it's high amount of tar in it. Yes, marijuana can make one addicted and yes it can destroy lives, but it's still nothing compared to the socially accepted drugs.
    4w3 - 7w6 - 1w9 : The Idealist

Meat Tornado Array DiscoBiscuit's Avatar

Expressing my opinion on the matter won't effect the way the wind is blowing on this issue.

That being said I'm for it.
    Your representative owes you, not his industry only, but his judgment; and he betrays, instead of serving you, if he sacrifices it to your opinion.
    - Edmund Burke

8w9 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    I don't disagree with you there. But lying works both ways--and I know far far too many people who are 'educated' on drugs that just believe it does nothing harmful for you. Truly they believe it is a healing drug--which it can be used that way. Physiological ailments are not the only ailments that need healing. And I know people who have said with genuine certainty that marijuana helped them through very hard times in a positive way. But to pretend it lacks side effects, or long term effects, I don't buy it. I'm glad they finally started showing off all of the garbage in cigarettes, but I see lying on both ends of the spectrum there.
    Blame the government for lying for decades. Maybe people would be more likely to trust authority figures if they weren't constantly lied to.

It isn't marijuana itself that is the gateway--it's the sort of people who decide to use it. It's part of the reasons I support it being legalized--it takes the stigma out of it, it's not 'cool' anymore, and people can gtfo its nuts all day long. I don't know how acceptable the drug classifications are, but I do know that people used to not take all sorts of things seriously that they find very serious now a days. I don't go around reading study after study.. my experience tells me marijuana does open the door to other drugs simply because it isn't 'so bad' for you. The statistics of people trying harder drugs that have smoked marijuana vs those who never have are there, and I feel they are viable enough. My theory is that this will decrease with the legalization of marijuana, and marijuana is one of the biggest and most widely used with the least side effects of the others, but I somehow doubt that those statistics will lessen significantly over time with legalization. I think it has a lot to do with the personalities of the people willing to try something illegal in the first place. When we take away this gateway drug (i.e. the gateway to illegal use of substances), these personalities will find another.
    It's the sort of people who decide to use it? Are you saying that people have self-destructive personalities and they'll use whatever is convenient to act out those self-destructive behaviors?

Regarding gateway drugs, it's true that many people who have used harder drugs have also used marijuana, but that doesn't prove that marijuana is a gateway drug. Lots of people have used marijuana and nothing harder. These same arguments can be used for alcohol. Pretty much every hard drug user has used alcohol, but there are also lots people who use alcohol and nothing harder.

And with quality comes price. Likely if they can afford high grade quality heroin they aren't going to care. Most cannot. The US government won't give them alternative forms of payment--prostitution, 'errands' to run for drug dealers, money that's clearly been stolen from someone else. Drug lords and dealers don't care where the money comes from--the government will. The sort of standards that would have to be in place for heroin means only exposing the super rich to it. Which might not be bad for the economy, but the rest of the poor people trying to steal DVDs to pay for a hit will still turn to illegal vendors that have far easier access to the good shit they can water down and serve at a discount under the table.

I don't believe legalizing hard drugs like meth and heroin will give the population a quality product. I don't think it will put that much of a dent in things. How many heroin addicts are paranoid? You think they won't go to dealers just for the sheer thought of the government tracking their purchases? We track how much cold medicine people buy. Granted, that's because it's illegal to buy large quantities of it, but the reputation the government has has been long rooted and firmly in place. That won't go away in a few generations. You're thinking too idealistic--like druggies will just open their arms and say "Oh, good, finally, a safe place and legal way to buy my drugs."

Decriminalizing to the point where buyers are not punished with jail time for that alone, and dealers are harshly punished, I can see some leeway there. I don't think the murder rates will go down if more heroin is available in the US at a higher quality of product. I see facilities being heavily guarded, paying those guards, and putting just as much money into trying to maintain such a system as it is to fight against the cartels. I don't think it is economical either way you go--but at least you don't have a family that lost their head of household to a hard drug looking at it in the pharmacy as if it were something useful medically.
    Do you think the cost of production is the biggest factor in the street price? It's not. Distribution is the biggest cost. And the more intensely the US fights this drug war, the more costly distribution becomes. People are murdered by the thousands in Mexico in an effort to bring drugs across the border, more than 50,000 in the last several years.

I guarantee you American corporations can make a significantly higher quality product and far more cheaply than any cartel. Cartels are amateurs compared to American drug manufacturers. Who do you think that most brilliant scientists work for? Drug cartels or companies like Merck? The only reason cartels make any money is because of prohibition. And if legitimate corporations are making these drugs, cartels won't be able to compete, so we won't have violent turf wars in the streets.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

4w5 sx/sp

I'd be interested in seeing statistics of the origins of marijuana in the US, because from my experience its largely grown here. It's easy enough to grow that I wouldn't think it'd be nearly as lucrative as hard drugs where they need to smuggle the materials from other countries. I'd guess a majority of it is grown in California and shipped all over the country.

I've heard of "Mexican brick weed" I guess, I've just never actually seen it. (Thank God )

MEXICO CITY – Drug cartels currently take in $64.34 billion from their sales to users in the United States, Mexico’s public safety secretary said.

Genaro Garcia Luna cited the figure during a speech Wednesday at the international forum organized in the northern border metropolis of Ciudad Juarez by the OCDA, a federation of center-right parties in the Americas.

The drugs that the – mainly Mexican – cartels smuggle into the United States include marijuana, cocaine, heroin, methamphetamines and Ecstasy.

Mexico produces substantial amounts of marijuana and crystal meth and smaller quantities of heroin. South America is the source of the cocaine that Mexican gangs smuggle into the United States.

Garcia Luna said that organized criminal groups – in particular, the cartels – are a risk for public and national security in the hemisphere.

He said that according to figures compiled by international entities, the production of cocaine in Colombia, Peru and Bolivia has remained stable over the past nine years at an average of about 900 tons annually.

He said that in 2007 the wholesale price of cocaine went from $2,198 per kilogram in Colombia to $12,500 when it arrived in Mexico, and from there rose to $97,400 per kilo in the United States and $101,490 in Europe.

Garcia Luna acknowledged that Mexico now has a domestic drug problem and that Mexicans spend an average of $431 million per year on illegal drugs.

The secretary said that the criminal organizations are taking advantage of the phenomenon of globalization to expand their activities through the opening up of the financial markets and technological development.

He also emphasized that organized crime is participating not only in the shipment of drugs but also in trafficking in weapons and migrants, smuggling other items, money laundering, vehicle theft, kidnappings-for-ransom and extortion.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Senior Member Array statuesquechica's Avatar
    9w8 sx/so

100% for legalization. Pros outweigh the cons especially with its medical uses and its potential to add to a state's revenue.

It has been legalized since January in Colorado and so far so good!
    I've looked at life from both sides now
    From up and down and still somehow
    It's life's illusions I recall
    I really don't know life at all

Joni Mitchell

5w6 sp/so

Legalize it already.

Though I wonder how much of drug-related crime is caused by methamphetamines, cocaine, heroin, etc. Hopefully a small margin...10% ? I guess that will change dramatically when we re-define "crime" as relates to drugs.

But seriously, marijuana-prohibition has a weaker argument than alcohol-prohibition or cigarette-prohibition, as so many have said.
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.