12 Last

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Default Daylight Savings Time is Stupid

"By synchronously resetting all clocks in a region to be one hour ahead of Standard Time (one hour "fast"), individuals who follow such a year-round schedule will wake an hour earlier than they would have otherwise; they will begin and complete daily work routines an hour earlier, and they will have an extra hour of daylight after their workday activities. However they will have one less hour of daylight at the start of each day, making the policy less practical during winter."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_saving_time

A few years ago I had to get up before dawn and go outside in dark or near dark conditions to do a job involving reading from and writing to papers I carried on a clipboard. As winter passed by, the sun came up earlier and earlier, and what a great relief this was! But then, one day, no more light. Daylight "savings" time plunged me and my job into cold and darkness again.

When is this policy ever practical, and for whom?

Exactly WHAT do you need the extra hour of daylight for? It's pretty obvious that this has to do with outdoor activities. Is it for doctors who need an extra hour of golfing time after seeing their 10 patients for the day? That's just pure selfishness.

If it serves a purpose for farming, then I have an idea for farmers - get up an hour early (which is what you end up making us all do anyway), and leave us non-farmers alone. As for doctors' offices and clinics - you can do the same thing, if improving your golf games is so damn important to you!
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I haven't decided whether or not I believe it is stupid, but I don't like it and wish we didn't do it.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

garbage

It's ridiculous. Among other things, work places could just shift their hours if they are choose, rather than us adjusting time itself.

Welp, instead of just waking up an hour earlier, let's just screw with clocks.

MBTI
    yupp

I thought about calling the government and demanding my hour back. But I don't know their phone number
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so
    Socionics
    EII Ne

I don't know - the only reason I don't mind DST, is the most important reason for me: it brings my time zone one hour closer to the time zone where my extended family is, along with the one my sweetheart is in (at least for some time before his country's time zone moves an hour forward as well).
    Only she who attempts the absurd can achieve the impossible... and then some.

MY BLOGS: https://freestylelines.blogspot.com/, https://tfthdiary.blogspot.com/
    TWITTER: https://twitter.com/angel_ss1
    TUMBLR: http://angelight1.tumblr.com/

In one year, I love it for a day, and hate it for another, and am indifferent for the rest of the year.

MBTI
    INTp

I think it's a good idea.

Optimal activity for very early morning - sleeping (and dark is good for that).
    Optimal activity for evening - too many to list and many of them benefit from outdoor light.

Now the change in 2005 makes DST start too early in the year, I'll give you that. But global warming hysteria has been responsible for a number of stupid policy decisions (and I am sure many more yet to come), so what are ya gonna do. The concept is general is valid for those outside the tropics.

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    I thought about calling the government and demanding my hour back. But I don't know their phone number
    I got their phone number but I couldn't reach a ****ing human. Just got put on hold. Still waiting.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Such Irony View Post
    I got their phone number but I couldn't reach a ****ing human. Just got put on hold. Still waiting.
    fucking government
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

I'm sorry it impacts you negatively. Personally I love the extra hour of daylight. I don't need the sunlight in the morning when I'm just driving to work and getting some paperwork started for the day. I LOVE it in the evening when I can spend it taking a walk with my family or catching a late dinner out or biking to the park. I don't see it as selfishness, though. I work at a bakery so I'm usually up far before the sun regardless of the time of year. I can understand why you'd miss the light in the morning but I'd prefer to have it when I can use it for things I voluntarily choose to do on a day-to-day basis rather than my obligations, which are routinized and familiar enough to do without an extra boost of light. I'm also fairly sure I have Seasonal Affective Disorder, and the extra light in the evening when I can be outdoors does wonders for my overall wellbeing.