MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    Oh what a surprise.
    Do you really think that vote was completely fair and unadulterated?
    I'm willing to wager that in a land occupied by Russian troops, most people would be "compelled" to vote for whatever is in Russia's Putin's best interests...
    Yeah. Even though, even according to prior(*) statistics, native russian speakers were a strong majority in Crimea's population.

(*)prior to the occupation
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

Riva

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Indeed, which is why I have a hard time working up any anger over the referendum.
    Same here. However the referendum was kept illegally was it not? What was the reason for the occupation anyway?

Due to a few isolated incidences (probably exaggerated by pro Russian media) of Russian being attacked/unjustly treated in Ukraine, the part of the country gets to be occupied doesn't sound quite fair.

Permabanned

Anyway, now we know how to expand borders. Send in troops, threaten war, ask those being occupied to join peacefully...

And, boom, expanded territory.

Mutually Assured Destruction (MAD) was so much fun the first time around.

http://news.yahoo.com/state-tv-says-...212003397.html

"Russia is the only country in the world realistically capable of turning the United States into radioactive ash," anchor Dmitry Kiselyov said on his weekly news show on state-controlled Rossiya 1 television.

Kiselyov made the comment to support his argument that the United States and President Barack Obama were living in fear of Russia led by President Vladimir Putin amid the Ukraine crisis.

Putin last year appointed Kiselyov head of the new Russia Today news agency that is to replace the soon to be liquidated RIA Novosti news agency with the aim of better promoting Russia's official position.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    Oh what a surprise.
    Do you really think that vote was completely fair and unadulterated?
    I'm willing to wager that in a land occupied by Russian troops, most people would be "compelled" to vote for whatever is in Russia's Putin's best interests...
    Supposedly 95% voted to join Russia. That is absurd. You can't even get 95% of people to agree on which way is up.

Quote Originally Posted by Riva View Post
    Sad story. I am certain that most Crimeans (or whatever they call themselves) are happy since the majority of them are Russian by ethnicity but the occupation was illegal, unfair and a blow for democracy.

The majority of Crimeans are Russians by ethnicity. So I doubt that the polls had to be rigged. So I would say that the polls were fair but referendum was obviously illegal.
    Ethnic Russians make up about 58% of the Crimean population. That does not explain a 95% vote. Roughly 24% are ethnic Ukrainians. Tatars make up around 12% of the population, and they hate pretty much anything and everything Russian/Soviet, which is understandable considering what Stalin did to them.
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

"I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

This is Hitler's strategy over Sudetenland.

Should I remind you that:

(1) In 1992, a majority of Crimean people voted for Ukraine independance. And unless you're a nazi, there's no way to presume that people vote exactly according to their race or ethnic background, even if that is what the Russian medias are pretending.

(2) Russia is a brutal dictatorship. Freedom of speech is almost non existent [ http://en.rsf.org/press-freedom-index-2013,1054.html 148 out 179 countries], and the last free medias in Russian language are... Ukrainians! And a clear majority of Russian-speaking Ukrainians deeply despise the Russian government. No neutral foreign observers have been accepted during the so-called "referendum", and countless local reporters and journalists were beaten by the occupying Russian forces or their local allies.

(3) The new government in Ukraine has ousted another dictatorship, so you can't possibly say this coup was illegal, since Yanukovitch's amendments to the Ukrainian constitution were already illegal -after those amendments, only the president could present a new law or a change in the constitution, the parliament role became pointless-. All they did was to cancel those amendments, so that the Ukrainian parliament could legally vote the eviction of Yanukovitch.
    Remember that Yanukovitch and his family have stolen almost $500 million to the Ukrainian people, just to give an idea how immensely corrupt he was. His role model was of course Putin, who did the same in Russia. Nobody regrets Yanukovitch in Ukraine.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    INTP

So far, the economic sanctions have been disappointingly......timid on our part. I hear the Russian stock market even rebounded after they were announced.

Taiwan might be feeling even worse than Ukraine right about now.....

deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

If China were smart, they'd invade Taiwan right now. It's not like Obama will do anything about it.
    Senator Rand Paul is alive because of modern medicine and because his attacker punches like a girl.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Tellenbach View Post
    If China were smart, they'd invade Taiwan right now. It's not like Obama will do anything about it.
    And the USN is being starved.
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

"I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by badger055 View Post
    Putin is ISTP. He is going to tap dance on everyones faces he doesn't give a fuck.
    Putin is ESFJ. He's traditionalist drama queen - lamenting about the old empire, blaming the west for everything, and loves to use public shamings to get things done.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.