User Tag List

First 12345 Last

We should never forget, because the Russians haven't, that during the 1917-1918 civil war in Russia, the Western powers actively fought on the side of the White Russians against the Red Russians.

In fact Australian soldiers earned more Victoria Crosses (our highest honour) fighting on the side of the White Russians than ever before.

MBTI
    xxTP

The Russian "occupation" of Crimea...but in another case it would have been called a
    "liberation" of an oppressed region in a country recently taken over by far right wing extremists.

It is ironic that in Libya or Iraq, or in Syria, the proposal to invade and put in control Islamist warlords in return for handing over their oil - "oil for Sharia" foreign policy - was called a liberation.

But if Russia should "intervene" it is unambiguously called an "occupation" and suddenly the sovereignty and sacredness of a states borders becomes eternal and absolute.

Of course nobody mentions this aspect of the new Ukrainian government, or the US and EU funding to the groups that took control of the country despite the opposition of 50% of the population.

MBTI
    XNTP
    Enneagram

I'm grabbing popcorn, anyone else want some?
    Always forward, never back!

"I always love talking to people and hearing their story. People always have a good life story to tell ya know?"

My blog in regular blogs

FigerPuppet

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Up in my Tree-House covered in blood I shot Yanukovich and Putin with an Ak-47, the people of Ukraine and western civilization don't want a U.S.S.R part 2 making Putins objective to be near impossible to accomplish

Permabanned

they voted in favor of joining russia.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by xisnotx View Post
    they voted in favor of joining russia.
    Oh what a surprise.
    Do you really think that vote was completely fair and unadulterated?
    I'm willing to wager that in a land occupied by Russian troops, most people would be "compelled" to vote for whatever is in Russia's Putin's best interests...
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

Russians have fought and died for the Crimea for a very long time. They are not going to give it up.

Riva

Sad story. I am certain that most Crimeans (or whatever they call themselves) are happy since the majority of them are Russian by ethnicity but the occupation was illegal, unfair and a blow for democracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    Oh what a surprise.
    Do you really think that vote was completely fair and unadulterated?
    I'm willing to wager that in a land occupied by Russian troops, most people would be "compelled" to vote for whatever is in Russia's Putin's best interests...

The majority of Crimeans are Russians by ethnicity. So I doubt that the polls had to be rigged. So I would say that the polls were fair but referendum was obviously illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by Riva View Post
    The majority of Crimeans are Russians by ethnicity. So I doubt that the polls had to be rigged. So I would say that the polls were fair but referendum was obviously illegal.
    Indeed, which is why I have a hard time working up any anger over the referendum.