First 2345614 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I think there is a huge disconnect here in the States where we all argue ideology without wanting to do the follow through [...] Maybe that's the part that bothers me the most: People impose their morality at no cost to themselves but high cost to others. Typically, if you want to hold a particular standard, you need to bear the burden for it as well.
    This is very well put. My problem as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozones View Post
    Bottom line is if your mature enough to have unprotected sex, you're mature enough to raise a child.
    No... absolutely not.

Let me tell you about a coworker of mine... she was raised by neglectful parents in an impoverished household. She acted out to get attention as a child (still does, though she's toned down some), and was very irresponsibly parented. She had sex for the first time at age 13 because a 30-something-year-old pushed her into it. That would qualify legally as statutory rape, I'm pretty sure, had anyone in that situation actually been aware or cared. She continued having sex after that, seeking attention and affection she wasn't afforded at home. She dropped out of high school in her mid-teens and got pregnant shortly after, in response to which her parents threw her out of the house. Her mother has told her she isn't interested in seeing her (her daughter). She sometimes sleeps with an article of her mother's clothing at night because she misses her mom. Fortunately some people at work have helped take her under their wing and she's matured incredibly since she first started working.
    But this girl is a child herself, and was never ready to be a parent. She got into having sex because an adult coerced her and she was never guided along a better path.

What you've said sounds reasonable in theory but it's like so much conservative ideology: it only works if you assume the person is starting off at 100% with all resources available to them. This girl was kicked down before she even got started. A mid-teen girl isn't old enough to be responsible for herself, much less a child, much less after her own parents have neglected and rejected her, much less after being raped.

The situation is about personal responsibility but people so often fail to take into account that life doesn't always treat everyone the same and many people are not well educated, not well raised, not guarded, not helped. A child can't teach themself how to be healthy and personally responsible, and if their parents and their community fails them in that, how can we hold them up and say to them that they alone are fully personally responsible for raising a child?

deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

"The best anti-poverty program is a job." Art Laffer

If the policies proposed by some of our lefty friends actually worked, we'd have seen it by now. Abstinence programs are far more effective than teaching kids how to put condoms on a cucumber and other such nonsense. Stop wasting our tax dollars please.

Quote Originally Posted by cafe
    These people actually think this way and they are not even joking.
    I'm not joking at all. Put kids to work. Work is not torture. Work is good. I suppose you think it's preferable for kids to play videogames or watch tv or texting one another all day.

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilogen
    Grind the children up for food. Convert urban slums into "human-farms."
    There are FDA regulations against that.
    Senator Rand Paul is alive because of modern medicine and because his attacker punches like a girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Tellenbach View Post

If the policies proposed by some of our lefty friends actually worked, we'd have seen it by now. Abstinence programs are far more effective than teaching kids how to put condoms on a cucumber and other such nonsense. Stop wasting our tax dollars please.

I'm not joking at all. Put kids to work. Work is not torture. Work is good. I suppose you think it's preferable for kids to play videogames or watch tv or texting one another all day.

There are FDA regulations against that.
    I'm joking you ****.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I was kind of thinking they should be in school.

If abstinence programs worked, we wouldn't have the highest teen pregnancy rate in the developed world.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Actually, the data show just the opposite. Abstinence programs are far less effective at preventing pregnancy among teens. Effective programs are the stitch in time that saves nine, so financial considerations alone argue for this.

I might actually agree with this if the work had a future, as in an apprenticeship. Generations ago, kids at 12-13 were apprenticed to a tradesman or merchant, etc. working for little more than room and board, but developing the skills eventually to become "masters" themselves. There is a happy medium - more than one, in fact - between the life of a couch potato and the workhouse.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Banned
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram

So much opining going on lol smh

IMO the root cause of pro death (the term pro 'choice' is laughable and simply a marketing tool) is Narcissism. Its like, i cant be bothered with these trivial appendages that were caused by my own irresponsibility, so let me just kill this thing off so I can live my life in freedom and have everything be all about me. Nowadays, the politicians who want to be above criticism use terms that end in 'ism'. I don't like Obama's policies? That's racism. I am pro life not pro death? I'm Anti-Feminism. Its all so ridiculous and would be funny if babies' deaths weren't caused in the process.

The interesting thing here is that my opinions on abortion has nothing to do with religion or what political party i associate with. It comes from me being a human with inborn morals and a conscience. If I came from a different planet, knew nothing about religion or politics, and someone approached me on the matter of pro life and pro death, I wouldn't even bat an eyelash. I choose life above selfish murder. Its so beyond me that anyone could justify killing a living thing out of narcissism. I can't see myself understanding it, and the fact that it has yet to be clearly explained on a thread dedicated to the topic isn't going to help me to.

It shouldn't be so complicated. Be responsible so you can live your life with no nuisance child needing things from you (so sad people actually think this way though, having a child is a huge blessing). Act irresponsibly, deal with the consequences. The end.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozones View Post
    It comes from me being a human with inborn morals and a conscience.
    If that is why you oppose abortions, why should people without inborn morals and a conscience not be allow to take another stance?

Banned
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram

How do you feel about serial killers? These are people without inborn morals and a conscience. Yet these people are villainous and imprisoned when caught. Society without morals is corrupt.
    @Nicodemus

MBTI
    yupp

morals aren't objective.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

Banned
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram

@skylights adoption