First 89101112 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by Tellenbach View Post
    We don't? I know about foster homes but what happens in between foster homes.
    Foster homes, AFAIK. Maybe it depends where you are, but I've never seen one, or rather, I've never seen one in operation.

No, my plan is for abandoned babies or children. I think it's imperative that we give kids a set of marketable skills so they don't end up like pajama boy or in a street gang or in prison.
    How does working at McDonald's for under $2.00 an hour translate into a marketable skill?
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by cafe
    How does working at McDonald's for under $2.00 an hour translate into a marketable skill?
    The kid learns to be on time, how to follow orders, learns discipline, working with others, interacting with customers, develops a work ethic, learns how stuff gets made at McDonalds and he learns how to manage the $7 he makes each day. This may shock you, but many, many managers at McDonalds and other places start at the very bottom and work their way to the top.
    Senator Rand Paul is alive because of modern medicine and because his attacker punches like a girl.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Ozones View Post
    @skylights adoption
    Can be a long and complicated process that you have to get started with early. Again you assume that the mother in question has the resources, knowledge, and support to know how to and successfully complete that process.

Personally, yes, I think the best solution would have been for her to carry the child to term, give birth, and then drop her off at a safe haven. I'm not an advocate of abortion, while I'm a huge advocate of sex education, contraception, and attempting to keep unintentional pregnancy rates as low as possible. I don't know any pro-choicer who thinks abortion is a "good" thing. It sucks, it always sucks. But is it better than bringing a child into the world and neglecting them? I know not everyone agrees, but personally I believe that it is.

And I also think that there are many privileged, lucky people out there who have never had to deal with hard situations who point fingers, telling others they lack personal responsibility and are morally deficient because the courses of their lives led them into hard choices with little guidance. I don't think it's anyone's place to be pointing fingers and looking down on others. There is some quote... the only reason you should ever look down at someone is when you are helping them get up. Pro-lifers do a lot of shit talk for the impressively small amount of actual help they provide.

IMO the root cause of pro death (the term pro 'choice' is laughable and simply a marketing tool) is Narcissism. Its like, i cant be bothered with these trivial appendages that were caused by my own irresponsibility, so let me just kill this thing off so I can live my life in freedom and have everything be all about me.
    Funny because to me it seems like the idea that someone else should get to decide what values a woman should adhere to when it comes to her body and her potential child is extremely narcissistic of the person who feels entitled to make the moral decisions for everyone else.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

The kid learns to be on time, how to follow orders, learns discipline, working with others, interacting with customers, develops a work ethic, learns how stuff gets made at McDonalds and he learns how to manage the $7 he makes each day. This may shock you, but many, many managers at McDonalds and other places start at the very bottom and work their way to the top.
    It doesn't shock me the least little bit. I'm not talking about those other people. I'm talking about people like me.

Working as a manager at McDonald's is . . . well, it may get you over the poverty line, but not by much. It is still barely scraping by and one serious illness away from homelessness. That's what these kids are supposed to aspire to?

Have you ever been poor?
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

No. The rich become richer and the poor become middle class. That's what happens when you create jobs. But you cant create jobs when you're getting taxed out to kazoo. Trickle Down Ecenomics has been done before, and was succesful. See: Reagans presidency
    You need to look at historic tax rates for the US.

Edit: Here, maybe look at this. It's simplified but you have to start somewhere.

~ John Rogers

deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by cafe
    That's what these kids are supposed to aspire to?
    Once a kid acquires basic work skills, he has more opportunities; he's not stuck at McDonalds. Many successful people start at McDonalds. One of the keys to avoiding poverty is getting work experience because this keeps you off the streets and away from bad influences.

Have you ever been poor?
    I come from a poor family, but I'm not poor anymore.

It is still barely scraping by and one serious illness away from homelessness.
    These are entry level jobs. Entry level jobs are not meant to be careers, but for unskilled people to acquire work experience. Once the kid saves up, he can go to college. The role of government should be to make it easier for businesses to hire (increasing opportunity) and this administration (same with most Democrat/leftist politicians) does the exact opposite. They deliberately put burdens on businesses so as to discourage hiring. The goal of your side is to create government dependency in order for the elites to maintain their status and power. This is why the economy is stagnating right now and why millions of people have fled NY, Calif, and New Jersey.

During the Great Depression, people actually gave up looking for work; they'd just wander off to an abandoned barn in the countryside and slowly starve themselves to death and this was FDR's fault. If you're interested in understanding poverty and how policies affect poverty, go read Amity Shlaes book "The Forgotten Man".
    Senator Rand Paul is alive because of modern medicine and because his attacker punches like a girl.

Banned
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    You need to look at historic tax rates for the US.

Edit: Here, maybe look at this. It's simplified but you have to start somewhere.

You know what trickle down is? Its when someone works hard to create a business that employs 50 people who would otherwise be unemployed.

There are always gonna be people that are more capable and work harder and will get a greater share of wealth. Forcing an economic distribution to satisfy your liberal beliefs will only stifle the creativity that made this country great.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

These are entry level jobs. Entry level jobs are not meant to be careers, but for unskilled people to acquire work experience. Once the kid saves up, he can go to college. The role of government should be to make it easier for businesses to hire (increasing opportunity) and this administration (same with most Democrat/leftist politicians) does the exact opposite. They deliberately put burdens on businesses so as to discourage hiring. The goal of your side is to create government dependency in order for the elites to maintain their status and power. This is why the economy is stagnating right now and why millions of people have fled NY, Calif, and New Jersey.
    So being a manager at McDonald's is an entry level job?

Those jobs are not meant to be anything except a way for the share holders to make as much money as possible. They are not a job training program.

The kid cannot save up for anything, including college. The kid is in poverty. If someone gets sick or the car breaks down or someone gets laid off, any money the kid might have been able to save is gone. The kid can do everything right and get fired for having his car break down or not being able to call in because his phone is out of minutes or being sick and not being able to afford to go to the doctor, so no doctor's note and no antibiotics to help him get better quickly. Unless the kid is on medicaid, which will drop you like a hot rock when you turn 18 in a lot of states.

How are you going to save money when you live in a household that can't keep the utilities on and food in the house at the same time at less than ten dollars an hour, let alone less than $2? My family wasn't that poor when I started working and I had to pay to live there, pay for my car insurance, pay for gas and repairs, pay for doctor's visits and medicine when I got sick, pay for the landline, and then, I still had to help with utilities on occasion. I was making over four dollars an hour and saving was next to impossible and when I did get some money put back, it ended up being needed for car repairs, etc.
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

You know what trickle down is? Its when someone works hard to create a business that employs 50 people who would otherwise be unemployed.

There are always gonna be people that are more capable and work harder and will get a greater share of wealth. Forcing an economic distribution to satisfy your liberal beliefs will only stifle the creativity that made this country great.
    I know what trickle down is. It's when rich people piss on you and tell you it's raining.
    ~ John Rogers

Banned
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    I know what trickle down is. It's when rich people piss on you and tell you it's raining.
    liberal mentality right here. I give you an intelligent statement and you respond with stupidity