User Tag List

First 910111213 Last

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Mal12345 View Post
    Sure, I could be more forgiving of the quoted material, as awkward-sounding as it is. But even then, the quoted material uses an incorrect definition of trolling. It describes trolling as a "deceptive, destructive, or disruptive" practice of online commenting. Thus it fails to distinguish the troll from the douchebag.

Other parts of the article describe a troll as a real-life sadist getting his jollies by preying on others online while enjoying the security of online anonymity. However, that could describe either a troll or a c.

The article also describes a troll as having "no apparent instrumental purpose." That's true - although a troll does have a purpose, and sometimes even work in combination with other trolls. Douchebags, on the other hand, often if not always operate alone.
    I admit that the specific article I chose to drop wasn't the best, but you can read the entire study here: http://www.academia.edu/6016545/Trol...nt_to_have_fun

It is apparent that the study isn't talking about douchebags.
    Don't like my modera... Oh wait, wrong forum. Carry on.

ESTP, 8w7 sx/sp

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by TreeBob View Post
    I admit that the specific article I chose to drop wasn't the best, but you can read the entire study here: http://www.academia.edu/6016545/Trol...nt_to_have_fun

Of course they aren't talking about douchebags, precisely because it specifies trolls. But how can they know exactly who or what they are studying without first properly defining their subject-matter?
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

When I read the phrase, "Commenting online," I immediately think of the Comments section that most popular and niche news sites have (or even YouTube), where pretty much the comments are not worth reading unless you find the incessant obnoxiousness to be amusing or reflecting your own views in some ways.

Reading comments there on topics you actually care about is the quickest way to get triggered. Why? No accountability + max freedom to say whatever.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp

Of course they aren't talking about douchebags, precisely because it specifies trolls. But how can they know exactly who or what they are studying without first properly defining their subject-matter?
    I'm not a psychologist so I can't really critique their method, but they performed 2 different surveys, two different ways. The link talks about their methods in detail if you really want to get into it. It isn't really shocking to learn that trolls are sadists.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    When I read the phrase, "Commenting online," I immediately think of the Comments section that most popular and niche news sites have (or even YouTube), where pretty much the comments are not worth reading unless you find the incessant obnoxiousness to be amusing or reflecting your own views in some ways.

Reading comments there on topics you actually care about is the quickest way to get triggered. Why? No accountability + max freedom to say whatever.
    They talk about that here: http://www.slate.com/articles/health...ychopathy.html

The study comes as websites, particularly at major media outlets, are increasingly weighing steps to rein in trollish behavior. Last year Popular Science did away with its comments sections completely, citing research on the deleterious effects of trolling, and YouTube also took measures to rein in trolling.
    Don't like my modera... Oh wait, wrong forum. Carry on.

ESTP, 8w7 sx/sp

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

I've read the study. It kind of defines trolling, but online users are simply asked if they enjoy trolling. The test-taker is free to subjectively define and interpret that term.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Again, you still make the assumption that I AM a troller, as you have said WITH NO PROOF WHATSOEVER over, and over, and over again.

But good job, a strong sign of independent thinking is responding to people with links to articles.
    I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.

MBTI
    NiTe
    Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by SmileyMan View Post
    TypoC seems to have turned into a veritable The Hague for crimes against forum posters.

Kind of. But it makes sense; there are a lot of people who are interested in forums about typology who get banned from PerC. Many of those people remain interested; therefore, they have to join other forums. Then, when someone like me starts a thread about differences in modding styles, a lot of the complaints float to the surface. I guess you can't blame people; I just was unwise to stir the pot; I didn't foresee this reaction.

MBTI
    NiTe
    Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

I've read the study. It kind of defines trolling, but online users are simply asked if they enjoy trolling. The test-taker is free to subjectively define and interpret that term.
    I think the definition of trolling is pretty common sense for most people.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

I have another 4000 people to ban if I want to get up to 1/3 banned.
    You have 4000 commenters on BanCentral? Or is it 12000?

MBTI
    NiTe
    Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Oh hey. I kinda wondered why you got banned.
    Hey, for Treebob's benefit (if he reads this thread anymore), did you wonder because I seemed like the kind of user who gets banned, or because I was the kind of user who doesn't seem likely to get banned?

I would appreciate it if you could post your impressions of me as a user; that would help attest to whether what I am saying is true or one-sided.