MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    I'd say you already do.
    I suppose it depends. I come from a flakey branch of Christianity with a fairly strong belief in faith healing and I've never known anyone who would just sit and watch their kid suffocate in their own lungs.

I went to Pentecostal Bible college and don't think I know anyone who wouldn't take their kid to the doctor over even ear pain and a fever.

They might make you feel like you don't have enough faith if you aren't healed or if you can't quit smoking, etc but I can't imagine any of them saying not to take your kid to the doctor if they have symptoms of pneumonia. Even the most heinous assholes in the group would be worried about the liability.

They'd lay hands on your kid. They'd anoint them with oil. They'd pray for them in English and in tongues. They might prophecy over them. They might give you a prayer cloth to put under their pillow or even a stuffed toy that had been anointed with oil and the whole congregation had prayed over to put into the child's bed. But they would tell you to take the kid to the doctor and to give the kid their medicine.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    I suppose it depends. I come from a flakey branch of Christianity with a fairly strong belief in faith healing and I've never known anyone who would just sit and watch their kid suffocate in their own lungs.

I went to Pentecostal Bible college and don't think I know anyone who wouldn't take their kid to the doctor over even ear pain and a fever.

They might make you feel like you don't have enough faith if you aren't healed or if you can't quit smoking, etc but I can't imagine any of them saying not to take your kid to the doctor if they have symptoms of pneumonia. Even the most heinous assholes in the group would be worried about the liability.

They'd lay hands on your kid. They'd anoint them with oil. They'd pray for them in English and in tongues. They might prophecy over them. They might give you a prayer cloth to put under their pillow or even a stuffed toy that had been anointed with oil and the whole congregation had prayed over to put into the child's bed. But they would tell you to take the kid to the doctor and to give the kid their medicine.
    Considering the current topic, that is actually good to hear. Im all for employing every type of healing, to make sure you exhaust all your options and it is good to hear that even devout religious people see the benefit in that approach.

Seriously, thank god for that.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Yah sure, natropaths advise going to see 'mainstream' doctors for most serious illnesses and always in case of emergencies. Natural medicines are fantastic for lots of illness but some are difficult to treat without conventional medicine, scientific experts et al. It frightens me when people think religion cures everything. Who's to say God is not waiting at the doctors for them to issue them with some life saving medicines.

Reminds me of the story of the stranded man on the sinking dessert Island who ignored three boats because 'God' was saving him. When he got to heaven he asked why God allowed him to die and God said...'for goodness sake, I sent you three boats'

It's a blurry line though. I think it's crossed when fanaticism gets in the waqy of common sense and natural parental love.
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

garbage

I can't help but shake off the thought of snake handling as a test of one's faith.

And then from there, for some reason, potential witches being tossed into a lake tethered to a rock because if they were witches they would survive.

Man. Beliefs can be funny things.

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by garbage View Post
    I can't help but shake off the thought of snake handling as a test of one's faith.

And then from there, for some reason, potential witches being tossed into a lake tethered to a rock because if they were witches they would survive.

Man. Beliefs can be funny things.
    True.

They can be highly inspirational and therefore pack a serious punch but the second they start living you instead of you living them, something's definitely off - even in beliefs that on the surface look ideal.
    Last edited by Amargith; 02-28-2014 at 05:40 AM.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”