User Tag List

First 1234 Last

garbage

Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    They have 7 surviving children.
    So they have a .778 batting average on the "not killing their own children" thing. And

Their pastor, Nelson Clark, has said the Schaibles lost their sons because of a "spiritual lack" in their lives and insisted they would not seek medical care even if another child appeared near death.
    Cool story

I do wonder what will happen to the lucky alive kids. Here's to hoping that these two lose custody of them forever and they get adopted by a doctor.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Religions would collapse if this happened. The vast majority of their membership comes from brainwashed children. Religions prey upon vulnerable people.
    That's the plan.

MBTI
    ?
    Enneagram
    ?
    Socionics
    ?

I am not entirely sure the state should tell me how to rise my own children, so I don't really think parents should be prosecuted. Death of their children should be enough of punishment for them.
    Also it is a nonsense that the state can not force a medical treatment but can afterwards put you in jail for denying it. So much for freedom of choice.

Even if you don't agree on level on control which parent should have, then you should do something about it rather than be satisfied with two misguided idiots being sent to jail.
    Change the law for the future if you think parents in general are unfit to make decisions about their children rather than punish parents for exercising rights they were given. Another situation like this can happen right now, so what did we learn from this?

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    That's the plan.
    I'm actually pro your suggestion - as long as it includes shielding them from the religion called Science, as well. I was raised under that one - the second I got a chance, I rebelled and choose my own :P
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by SD45T-2 View Post
    Have you read Do You Believe in Magic? by Paul Offit?
    Didn't he write a book at some point about the fallibility of memory and the spate of Satanic cult / child abuse accusations back in the 80's, especially in context with organized religion? Or was that someone else?

Quote Originally Posted by JustAMind View Post
    I am not entirely sure the state should tell me how to rise my own children, so I don't really think parents should be prosecuted. Death of their children should be enough of punishment for them.
    Apparently not. After all, they had already let one of their children die, and turned around and did it all over again.

Bottom line: Two down, seven left. How many more of their kids need to die before you would say that the death of their children is not acting as a deterrent? One? Two? All of them?

Even if you don't agree on level on control which parent should have, then you should do something about it rather than be satisfied with two misguided idiots being sent to jail.

Change the law for the future if you think parents in general are unfit to make decisions about their children rather than punish parents for exercising rights they were given. Another situation like this can happen right now, so what did we learn from this?
    I'm sure there are many things in the world you disagree with, but they don't register in your personal life as important enough to prioritize to the exclusion of the things you really feel strongly about. What, you can't complain about starvation in Africa or sex trafficking in the East unless you're actively trying to change their laws? Opinions are free.

Check this out:

Their pastor, Nelson Clark, has said the Schaibles lost their sons because of a "spiritual lack" in their lives and insisted they would not seek medical care even if another child appeared near death.
    Yeah. Like they are really going to change at this point... They think all they have to do is be "more pure" and their children wouldn't die. Cognitive dissonance runs strong in these two. To be honest, the pastor should be considered an accessory. He's free to preach what he wants, but when people die because of it...? Well, that's a ramification for him to deal with.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ?
    Enneagram
    ?
    Socionics
    ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I'm sure there are many things in the world you disagree with, but they don't register in your personal life as important enough to prioritize to the exclusion of the things you really feel strongly about. What, you can't complain about starvation in Africa or sex trafficking in the East unless you're actively trying to change their laws? Opinions are free.
    That's not what I mean Jennifer, I for example love to to engage in fruitless conversations of any sort
    The focus here is entirely on parents blame, and none on the law that gives them the right to deny treatment
    of their children. So I wonder if the law should be amended(if it's possible to make an amendment for that) ASAP instead
    of sending these people to jail. Or you can still send them to jail but also amend the law.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    They think all they have to do is be "more pure" and their children wouldn't die. Cognitive dissonance runs strong in these two.
    LOL

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by JustAMind View Post
    That's not what I mean Jennifer, I for example love to to engage in fruitless conversations of any sort
    The focus here is entirely on parents blame, and none on the law that gives them the right to deny treatment
    of their children. So I wonder if the law should be amended(if it's possible to make an amendment for that) ASAP instead
    of sending these people to jail. Or you can still send them to jail but also amend the law.
    Considering the crap that's happening in Arizona right now (legislating discrimination the way the law is written), I doubt that's going to happen. I've also had experience with state laws that mandate sending children back to bad parents even when they've already been placed with foster parents who are giving them a better life, and then the kids' lives slide back into hell because the parents haven't really reformed; typically bio parents are favored, and we hate people messing around with our families, so we damn the children to a destructive family pattern. Even if they survive the experience to adulthood, what they've soaked up usually just perpetuates the issues to another generation.

I'm kind of surprised the parents were even sent to jail, despite the enormity of what has occurred, based on the attitudes of our culture towards faith, families, and autonomy. This isn't the first time children have died, I read one of these articles once or twice a year as national news; I'm probably missing the ones that never make headline news.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

This is a tough issue.

I don't believe the parents should have been sent to prison. They are not the ones who caused their child(ren) to die. Disease is. Perhaps God is. We cannot know the workings of God in these matters. Life is given, and life is taken away.

The only Law in God's Word that would pertain to this is, "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." If the parents would have refused treatment for themselves as well, then they are not breaking God's Law.

They did, however, break man's law. I guess in their eyes, their belief in God usurped their belief in man. Now they are being punished by man. Perhaps the men who punished them unfairly will then be punished by God...

We see LIFE as good and DEATH as bad. But if we all lived forever, the world could not sustain itself. When you believe more in God than the world, you understand that Death is just really the beginning of the story.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

figsfiggyfigs

lfksdjlfkg;lkerjlkjsl;dfkj;vibsdofuns[ierhtisdfjgkdsf'gksjdflg

The real question is:
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.