User Tag List

First 71516171819 Last

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Yep those religious people are just the worst.
    I hope Karlheinz Deschner's Criminal History of Christianity will one day be published in English. You will shit bricks.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    I hope Karlheinz Deschner's Criminal History of Christianity will one day be published in English. You will shit bricks.
    Somehow I don't think I will.

Somehow I don't think I will.
    Your narrow-mindedness is really unattractive.

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    And this refutes what I said how exactly?
    Just making it all more clearly defined.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Your narrow-mindedness is really unattractive.
    Well I'm not into dudes.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    What? As in what one thing? Different things played primary roles at different times. It's been around 1500 years since the fall of Rome, depending on when you define the fall.

Economics is always more important than religion, though. Always. Even when a war is supposedly religious, it's really about economics.
    You could have just said I don't have an answer.

It would have been faster.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

You could have just said I don't have an answer.

It would have been faster.
    That is an answer. That you don't accept it is your own flaw that you need to overcome.

Religion is a symptom and sometimes a tool, but it's not a cause.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    That is an answer. That you don't accept it is your own flaw that you need to overcome.

Religion is a symptom and sometimes a tool, but it's not a cause.
    Religion and Economics were tightly intertwined for quite sometime.

Economics didn't really come into its own until the industrial revolution and the birth of Nation States and companies.

Even then religion played a more important role in shaping the face of civilization until probably the 20th century.

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    How about this for a hypothetical:

Bob a doctor and Jim a florist are both gay and know one another. Bob undergoes a controversial course of conversion therapy and after two years he decides he wants to stop having relationships with males and get married to an old female friend, Sarah. Bob asks Jim to do the flowers for their wedding. Jim believes Bob is pursuing a lifestyle that is incompatible with his sexual orientation and refuses to provide flowers as a protest. Should Bob be able to sue Jim for discrimination?
    Once upon a time there was an island where magical pudding was concocted by clever penguins who took turns stirring it day and night for months. One day a unicorn was flying overhead and smelt the most wondrous smell he had ever smelled.

I must find out what that is!! He cried to himself. Down he went to the island.

Upon his arrival the penguins stopped their tasks and stared, for what manner and monstrosity of creature is this?

May I please have some of that pudding, the unicorn asked with shimmering purple eyes and a saucy toss of his silver mane.

At his words the penguins erupted into a cacophony of crazy and began swarming the unicorn to make him do away. For pudding was at stake!!

Saddened the unicorn trotted away into the trees and soon found himself alone once again.

He was just about to take off and be on his way when a tiny butterfly flew up to him with a precious droplet of magical pudding held gently in her arms.

The end.

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

And to clarify, it's not baking a cake for or taking a photograph of a gay person that the religious are objecting to, it's being forced to participate in a gay marriage (in whatever slight capacity) that they object to.

Basically, all they want is to be exempted from lending services to a gay marriage ceremony.

Legally, the burden on the homosexual couple to find another vendor to service their wedding is less onerous than forcing religious business to violate their beliefs.

That's what it boils down to. What's a bigger imposition, finding another bakery, or being legally forced by government to violate your beliefs?
    Section 1. Notwithstanding any other provision of law, no individual
    or religious entity shall be required by any governmental entity to do any
    of the following, if it would be contrary to the sincerely held religious
    beliefs of the individual or religious entity regarding sex or gender:
    (a) Provide any services, accommodations, advantages, facilities,
    goods, or privileges; provide counseling, adoption, foster care and other
    social services; or provide employment or employment benefits, related to,
    or related to the celebration of, any marriage, domestic partnership, civil
    union or similar arrangement;
    It's tough because God's Law is clearly for marriage between a man and a woman. And His Law also states you should keep yourself far from a false matter.

But it also says You shall love your neighbor as yourself. Give to everyone who asks of you. As you would like people to do to you, do exactly so to them. Condemn not, and you shall not be condemned.

Overall, God gives people individual free will to sin. We must live amongst each other as sinners. If we all shunned each other because of sin, we'd not be able to interact!

It comes down to having to perform a job, and being expected to perform it. Not citing false religious doctrine as a scapegoat to humbling yourself to your employer and God.

Instead of shunning other sinners (like themselves), Christians should "let their light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven."

This Kansas thing is a rare case of government going too far to protect citizens' so-called religious rights. And really, at its core, it's a complete misinterpretation of God's Law. sigh.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com