User Tag List

View Poll Results: What is the purpose of law?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • To enforce objective standards of right and wrong.

0 0%
  • To facilitate social order.

19 79.17%
  • I don't agree with the first two options, but I want to be included.

5 20.83%
First 345

MBTI
    ISTx

DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC

Technically a Federal Republic though.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    The United States is not a democracy, it's a republic.
    Technically we do have democracy in the United States. It's just that it exits on the local level (and probably on the state level depending on the state). The federal government is not a democracy though.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Beat View Post
    DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC

Technically a Federal Republic though.
    Yes, federal republic.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    Technically we do have democracy in the United States. It's just that it exits on the local level (and probably on the state level depending on the state). The federal government is not a democracy though.
    They still have representatives at those levels, though. We have some things the people can vote on directly, but it still has to make it onto the ballot through legislatures and councils and all.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Four

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post

Let's assume again that all killing is immoral. Therefore capital punishment is immoral. However let's say that studies have shown the murder rate to drop by 7 for every criminal executed under the death penalty. Therefore if you do the moral thing and outlaw capital punishment, then society suffers the effects of a worse outcome.

In both of my examples enforcing the "right" thing would decrease social order. So what do you think the purpose of law is? Is it to enforce right and wrong, or is it to facilitate social order?
    In this scenario, we (hypothetically) establish a Truth that killing is immoral. You go on to say that the "right" solution to reducing the murder rate is making illegal, but I don't agree that is the best decision. Therefore, I think "right" and "wrong" are subjective labels put on a means through which one could potentially creates order and harmony. There are, however, other means that achieves could potentially achieve the same result. For example, there could be laws that require women to attend therapy session that will make them aware of the psychological trauma of post-abortion life or a law that requires state funded community centers in neighborhoods with high murder rates. Even if (just for the sake of this discussion) those methods only decreased the murder rate a lower percent than enforcing the death penalty, it is still more "right" and "moral" than the latter solution.

Most people would benefit from having less murder in their community. One solution is more effective, but contradicts it's own moral standard. The other is less effective, but upholds its standard. Either way -- no matter which one is made a law -- it is was put into action to alleviate the threat of murder, and therefore benefit more people.

Does that count as facilitating social order? If your definition of order is "harmony", then no because the difference of opinions on the best fit solution only creates more disagreement. Or perhaps it does because both laws would be intended to create social order, but still fail because it seems people will always have a different opinions.

Anyway, I would like to say that law's purpose is to create social order ( which is what I voted for), but I've just confused myself more.
    "Why had he never appreciated what a miracle he was, brain and nerve and bounding heart?"