User Tag List

View Poll Results: What is the purpose of law?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • To enforce objective standards of right and wrong.

0 0%
  • To facilitate social order.

19 79.17%
  • I don't agree with the first two options, but I want to be included.

5 20.83%
First 1234 Last

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    It's not intended to be a dichotomy. I could ask the question, "If you only had money for one which would you buy: ice cream or a ham sandwich." There is no dicotomy between ice cream and a ham sandwich, but if you were forced to choose one then which would you choose? In my OP I'm asking to choose between two things which are sometimes not at odds and sometimes are. So if you have to pick one over the other then which would you pick?
    What's confusiing is that by making only the one choice refer to an objective good and bad, one interprets the other choice as being without it.

Anyway, I already stated that the second is better. Moral good lies in the end of things, not the cause or the means.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

I’m a nihilist so I don’t accept any legal structure based on assertions of morality or right and wrong.

Those things aren’t necessary anyway.

The first question you have to ask yourself is: do you want to live? Since you haven’t committed suicide I’m assuming you do.

Second question is: How do you want to live? Do you want to be a hermit living alone and doing everything for yourself or live with other people and share the burden of living? I see you’re all still here.

Alrighty then, if we’re all going to live together we need rules governing behavior. Society can’t function if everyone is looking over their shoulder unable to trust anyone.

These rules are simple, they’re the classics. Rules against murder, rape, theft, lying, assault, all basically saying “don’t harm me or my property, harm my property and you owe me compensation, harm me and you die.” As society becomes more complex so do the laws but they should remain based on that principle.

So you really can’t base laws on morality because no one agrees on what’s right and what’s wrong. When you do we get such stupid things as drug and alcohol prohibition and defense of hetero marriage laws.

The purpose of the law should be to prevent and punish personal harm not to enforce morality.

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

But sassafrassquatch, I'm going to point out that saying physical harm is a bad thing for all, and must be avoided/prevented, is a form of morality.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    But sassafrassquatch, I'm going to point out that saying physical harm is a bad thing for all, and must be avoided/prevented, is a form of morality.
    Not morality, business.

I scratch your back you scratch mine. Not because back scratching is morally good, but because it is mutually beneficial.

I guard the camp while you sleep and promise not to ride off with your horse and all your stuff and you do the same for me. This agreement is based on the understanding that if broken one of us will hunt the other down and put a bullet in his skull.

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by sassafrassquatch View Post
    Not morality, business.

I scratch your back you scratch mine. Not because back scratching is morally good, but because it is mutually beneficial.

I guard the camp while you sleep and promise not to ride off with your horse and all your stuff and you do the same for me. This agreement is based on the understanding that if broken one of us will hunt the other down and put a bullet in his skull.
    It's not morality, it's just business. But why is that business important? Why do you feel it would be so much better if people did this business?
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by sassafrassquatch View Post

The purpose of the law should be to prevent and punish personal harm not to enforce morality.
    Personal harm? Does that include harm inflicted on self, or just others?

MBTI
    ISTx

It's not morality, it's just business. But why is that business important? Why do you feel it would be so much better if people did this business?
    To diminish strife and turmoil I'd say.

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Beat View Post
    To diminish strife and turmoil I'd say.
    So we can presume that preventing strife and turmoil among the majority of the populace is a good thing? Inversely, that strife and turmoil is quantifiably a bad thing?
    Go to sleep, iguana.

In my first post I said if you choose to live in a group rather than a lone hermit you will probably want there to be rules governing behavior in that group. If you want to live in an anarchist society that's fine but I don't think it would work.

A lone individual can subsist, a group can prosper.

Quote Originally Posted by Beat View Post
    Personal harm? Does that include harm inflicted on self, or just others?
    Just people hurting each other. If someone wants to drink himself to death, go right ahead. If he drinks and drives he should be locked in his car, doused with gasoline and set on fire.

MBTI
    ISTx

So we can presume that preventing strife and turmoil among the majority of the populace is a good thing? Inversely, that strife and turmoil is quantifiably a bad thing?
    Yes, universally that seems to be the common idea.