MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    It's greatly important to them.

But much like any cosmetic surgery (no matter how self confidence inspiring [ahem boob jobs]) I don't think my taxes should go toward funding it.

Look at it this way, would you rather feed a starving child or give someone a non lifesaving sex change?

I know how I would answer that question.

Safety net insurance coverage only needs to extend to vital procedures. Anything else is a waste of money that could be better used elsewhere.
    You could use the same argument about the entire field of psychology, mental health issues (depression, anxiety, etc) then using that line of reasoning. Mental health is a serious health issue, and is something that demands to be taken seriously. Luckily, it largely is. I'm a gay man so I am rather aware of transsexual issues (though I am not trans myself), and have interacted with many trans folks over the years. The amount of distress they can experience is actually quite alarming.

I don't think this is cosmetic at all, and I am very certain the APA would not regard it as cosmetic either. It absolutely should be covered and available in insurance coverage.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    It absolutely should be covered and available in insurance coverage.
    I'll be curious to see if the courts agree with your opinion.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

I'll be curious to see if the courts agree with your opinion.
    Indeed it is my opinion, hence I shared it. I am a big proponent towards mental health. How it will actually play out? No am not 100% certain, but I do think it will likely play out in the treatments favor. As I stated before transsexuality is an established mental condition. I could see a center counter argument is that the treatment is not always fullproof, and some individuals realize "oh oops I was wrong", and that comes with a high cost. It's rare but it does happen.

The main shitck is going to be how the cost-benefit analysis weighs out. Is the success rate of treatment high enough that it justifies the cost of surgury and hormone replacement therapy? Now that I think about it, I can see it being only partially covered because there is a sort of "cosmetic" aspect to it with how they want their "new parts" to look. It's sort of inheriant to it.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Indeed it is my opinion, hence I shared it. I am a big proponent towards mental health. How it will actually play out? No am not 100% certain, but I do think it will likely play out in the treatments favor. As I stated before transsexuality is an established mental condition. I could see a center counter argument is that the treatment is not always fullproof, and some individuals realize "oh oops I was wrong", and that comes with a high cost. It's rare but it does happen.

The main shitck is going to be how the cost-benefit analysis weighs out. Is the success rate of treatment high enough that it justifies the cost of surgury and hormone replacement therapy? Now that I think about it, I can see it being only partially covered because there is a sort of "cosmetic" aspect to it with how they want their "new parts" to look. It's sort of inheriant to it.
    I would be amazed given the prevailing political winds if it is covered at all.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

They don't need the sex change to survive.
    Cataract surgery is also not needed for survival. Should we make older folks pay for this out of pocket as well?
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

I would be amazed given the prevailing political winds if it is covered at all.
    I suppose we'll see what happens then.

Luckily, the reassignment treatment isn't that outrageously expensive and individuals can still get it. It's not entirely out of reach to most. Partly cause of that, this issue isn't too high on my list of things to care about.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Cataract surgery is also not needed for survival. Should we make older folks pay for this out of pocket as well?
    Without vision one is disabled.

Without a sex change one is unhappy.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Without vision one is disabled.

Without a sex change one is unhappy.
    I already pointed this out. There is a difference between "unhappy", and a legitimate mental condition.

deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Ideally, we let people keep enough of their money by lowering taxes so they won't have to rely on the government to "pay" for anything. Medicare, as run currently, is a disaster which wastes $60 billion each year. Imagine how much good that $60 billion can do if spent properly.
    Senator Rand Paul is alive because of modern medicine and because his attacker punches like a girl.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

I already pointed this out. There is a difference between "unhappy", and a legitimate mental condition.
    The mental condition only needs to be covered with taxpayer money if, without care the patient poses a danger to others.

I'd rather cover more folks real health problems and exclude most all mental issues than provide less lifesaving care and cover mental health.