User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 73

  1. #21
    Senior Member dnivera's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp
    Socionics
    LSI?
    Posts
    165

    Default Hello, I am AZN

    I took a whole course on this in college (check out the Asian-American studies department at your friendly local university). We discussed what it means to be "Asian" in many sessions. I'd recommend reading some of the work of Ronald Takaki or Gary Okihiro, who are historians on this topic, if you are really interested.

    In short, "Asian" means something different in different countries. In the UK an Asian person might be someone of South Asian (India/Pakistani, etc) descent, while in North America, Asian refers to someone of East Asian descent (China, Japan, Korea, etc). However, it means something entirely different to be Asian-American, Asian-Canadian, or Asian-Australian than simply ASIAN.

    There's really too much to go into here, and I don't see how this relates to MBTI.
    Si>Ti>Te>Ne>Fe>Ni>Fi>Se

    Introverted (I) 60% Extroverted (E) 40%
    Sensing (S) 56.25% Intuitive (N) 43.75%
    Thinking (T) 61.29% Feeling (F) 38.71%
    Judging (J) 71.88% Perceiving (P) 28.13%

  2. #22
    Senior Member dnivera's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp
    Socionics
    LSI?
    Posts
    165

    Default

    Another excellent reference is On Orientalism by the late Edward Said.

    This might answer what you're getting at by asking if there's an "Essence" to "being Asian." Does Asian = exotic? mysterious? sneaky? Read Said, and you'll find out.

    OK, enough anthropology for now.
    Si>Ti>Te>Ne>Fe>Ni>Fi>Se

    Introverted (I) 60% Extroverted (E) 40%
    Sensing (S) 56.25% Intuitive (N) 43.75%
    Thinking (T) 61.29% Feeling (F) 38.71%
    Judging (J) 71.88% Perceiving (P) 28.13%

  3. #23
    The Unwieldy Clawed One Falcarius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    COOL
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Dino None
    Posts
    2,565

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I'd call someone Asian if their ancestors came from Asia. That seems pretty straightforward to me.


    I am not sure it is that straightforward, according to the Bible and Mr Darwin everyone is related, so by your very own definition anyone could argue they were Asian.

    I would not exactly call myself Asian, but having said that I come from a Christian family, Christianity was formed in what is now Palestine, which is geographically in Asia, so it is near certain I have ancestors from Asia in the last 2000 years. If you want to go back further I could find a few Old World monkeys ( Rhesus monkey, Japanese Macaque and Gray Langurs) from Asia.

    Sorry if I'm being a jackass, but are you really saying I could call myself Asian? If not where do you draw the line?
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
    Oh our 3rd person reference to ourselves denotes nothing more than we realize we are epic characters on the forum.

    Narcissism, plain and simple.

  4. #24
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Falcarius View Post


    I am not sure it is that straightforward, according to the Bible and Mr Darwin everyone is related, so by your very own definition anyone could argue they were Asian.

    I would not exactly call myself Asian, but having said that I come from a Christian family, Christianity was formed in what is now Palestine, which is geographically in Asia, so it is near certain I have ancestors from Asia in the last 2000 years. If you want to go back further I could find a few Old World monkeys ( Rhesus monkey, Japanese Macaque and Gray Langurs) from Asia.

    Sorry if I'm being a jackass, but are you really saying I could call myself Asian? If not where do you draw the line?
    Yeah, you're really splitting hairs, here. But it's understandable considering the animosity you have toward me.

    How far back can you trace your ancestry? There's my answer to your question.

    It's not like we're originally from Africa, either. If you trace evolution back to the start, we come from the ocean. This is all just meaningless labeling, a way for other people to categorize you.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  5. #25
    Wonderer Samuel De Mazarin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    1,026

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I didn't decry your thread as boring and I'm sorry you interpreted it that way. I started to type out a longer response with examples regarding MTV's Asian programming, then my wikipedia poking revealed that my examples didn't really back up what I was trying to say, so I ended up typing only that one sentence which was boring.

    This IS an interesting topic and I'm currently brewing up a response in depth, but your "gosh, only CC really gets what I'm saying here" (not true, I get it, it just takes me a little longer to articulate myself sometimes) is discouraging. Sometimes you have to wait longer than a few hours to get a good response.
    I'm sorry... I can be pushy sometimes... what I was trying to say is that it seemed only CC's and Owl's posts were addressing the topics I was raising. i should shut up and let the discussion, if it's meant to live, live on its own.

    mea culpa and let the debates begin.

    Madman's azure lie: a zen miasma ruled.

    Realize us, Madman!

    I razed a slum, Amen.

    ...............................................

  6. #26
    Wonderer Samuel De Mazarin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    1,026

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jae Rae View Post
    Perhaps this is your problem. Inveigh means to protest strongly or attack vehemently with words; to rail against (eg, isolationism).
    i know what 'inveigh' means... i was having a laugh at the virulence of many internet discussions... i have to learn how to use language which is more transparent and doesn't assume people's understanding of my humor.
    Madman's azure lie: a zen miasma ruled.

    Realize us, Madman!

    I razed a slum, Amen.

    ...............................................

  7. #27
    Wonderer Samuel De Mazarin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    1,026

    Default

    I notice that a lot of the responses seem to assume "Asia" as a meaningful category. No one's agreed with or contested my assertion that Europe is not a continent geologically-speaking, but is rather an arbitrary cultural division and that the Indian subcontinent has as much separation and interaction with the "Asian" continent as Europe. I was highlighting what seem to me to be major inconsistencies in definition of Europe vs. Asia vs. Indian subcontinent. I would talk about the Arabian peninsula but it's genuinely a part of Asia. Also, no one's talked about "Eurasia" either. But I find some good thinking going on about the diversity of conventional Asians. I would ask that posters specifically address my statements/questions raised in post #'s 6 and 7, or this becomes a rehash of middle school culture textbooks which are problematic to begin with. And no, I'm not looking for agreement but very particular arguments, whether against or for.
    Madman's azure lie: a zen miasma ruled.

    Realize us, Madman!

    I razed a slum, Amen.

    ...............................................

  8. #28
    `~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    9,849

    Default

    Sorry Sammy,

    I know diddly-piddle about geography.

    But involving human natural history...

    I view Africa as the "Motherland"

    And Eurasia as the "Otherland"

    K



    -CC
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

    "A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

    "That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

    Veritatem dies aperit

    Ride si sapis

    Intelligentle sparkles

  9. #29
    Strongly Ambivalent Ivy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6
    Posts
    24,060

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel De Mazarin View Post
    I notice that a lot of the responses seem to assume "Asia" as a meaningful category. No one's agreed with or contested my assertion that Europe is not a continent geologically-speaking, but is rather an arbitrary cultural division and that the Indian subcontinent has as much separation and interaction with the "Asian" continent as Europe. I was highlighting what seem to me to be major inconsistencies in definition of Europe vs. Asia vs. Indian subcontinent. I would talk about the Arabian peninsula but it's genuinely a part of Asia. Also, no one's talked about "Eurasia" either. But I find some good thinking going on about the diversity of conventional Asians. I would ask that posters specifically address my statements/questions raised in post #'s 6 and 7, or this becomes a rehash of middle school culture textbooks which are problematic to begin with. And no, I'm not looking for agreement but very particular arguments, whether against or for.
    I don't consider "Asia" to be a meaningful category, except in what it says about world history and Eurocentrism. Its very nature as a catch-all reveals the bias. Since Europe and Asia occupy the same huge geographical landmass, Asia seems to represent whatever wasn't part of European culture when they began colonizing. This would explain why India isn't its own continent while Europe is.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

  10. #30
    Wonderer Samuel De Mazarin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    1,026

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    Sorry Sammy,

    I know diddly-piddle about geography.

    But involving human natural history...

    I view Africa as the "Motherland"

    And Eurasia as the "Otherland"

    K



    -CC
    No need to say sorry... I'm not entitled to anything!

    Very interesting nomenclature... so if Africa=Motherland and Eurasia=Otherland, what are the Americas, Australia, and Antarctica?
    Madman's azure lie: a zen miasma ruled.

    Realize us, Madman!

    I razed a slum, Amen.

    ...............................................

Similar Threads

  1. The New Seven Deadly Sins- Courtesy of the Pope - do you agree and what is your list?
    By Geoff in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 12-16-2008, 03:47 PM
  2. Evaluating sources of science facts and what is the current scientific viewpoint
    By ygolo in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-14-2008, 08:00 PM
  3. [SP] What is an SP?
    By Parabola in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 07-25-2008, 06:27 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO