User Tag List

First 123

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Tellenbach View Post
    Roughly half of the Tea Partiers are evangelicals (47%), so you're going to get some do-gooders. Even among the Tea Party, there are libertarians like Rand Paul who'd favor decriminalizing marijuana and conservative types like Hannity who still want drugs to be illegal. This faction is probably the best of the choices we currently have for those of us who want limited government.
    No thanks. I have enough problems with libertarians. The Tea Party is similar to libertarians, except they're generally more religious and less educated. That's the wrong direction to go, IMO.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus
    The Tea Party is similar to libertarians, except they're generally more religious and less educated. That's the wrong direction to go, IMO.
    I see the Tea Party as much more of a fiscally conservative movement with little emphasis on social issues, which is what is badly needed at the moment, imo. Yeah, libertarians do tend to be the most informed and intelligent, but Tea Partiers are more educated than the average voter (probably because there is great overlap between the two).
    Senator Rand Paul is alive because of modern medicine and because his attacker punches like a girl.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Tellenbach View Post
    I see the Tea Party as much more of a fiscally conservative movement with little emphasis on social issues, which is what is badly needed at the moment, imo. Yeah, libertarians do tend to be the most informed and intelligent, but Tea Partiers are more educated than the average voter (probably because there is great overlap between the two).
    The most fundamental problem in this country is how political campaigns are funded. I've seen some libertarians recognize this problem (though not nearly enough). Tea Partiers I have known are too busy hating Obama to even be aware of that problem.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Lol @ solving government beaurocratic corruption with more beaurocracy and empowerment of the political ruling class.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    Lol @ solving government beaurocratic corruption with more beaurocracy and empowerment of the political ruling class.
    IIRC, P. J. O'Rourke once said that politicians claiming they will cut taxes and the size of government routinely fail to deliver because they are essentially saying they will sneak up behind themselves and steal their own wallet. It's so much easier to be a liberal and just throw more money and government at problems.
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

"I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by SD45T-2 View Post
    IIRC, P. J. O'Rourke once said that politicians claiming they will cut taxes and the size of government routinely fail to deliver because they are essentially saying they will sneak up behind themselves and steal their own wallet. It's so much easier to be a liberal and just throw more money and government at problems.
    I proposed a number of regulations that would would directly heavily reduce a legislator's ability to profit off of their office, far more than cutting taxes and government programs ever would (those hardly have anything to do with it at all, in fact, congressmen are quite happy to cut taxes and follow it up with a pay raise vote), but it involved an increase in regulations and I'd roughly fall within the category of liberal.

Also, P.J. O'Rourke is a dipshit and not particularly funny.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

I know, the founders were stupid for letting governments handle elections. They should have let Coca Cola run all of the elections.

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I know, the founders were stupid for letting governments handle elections. They should have let Coca Cola run all of the elections.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

That seems like an odd response to democracy, since that was no doubt one of the main questions that drove its conceptualization.

It's also a virtually inescapable problem. So here's a different question: Is it better to have a system of watchers who at some point may not be watched, or no watchers anywhere at all?*

*The question is a little bit of a trick.

EDIT: additional question: Does it occur to you that something that is not government can act as a watcher?
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

That's a worthy discussion. Laughing at the idea that we reform the electoral process is not a discussion. That's a dismissal.

Look at the title of this thread. That might give you an idea of my thoughts on this issue. Or maybe not. Maybe you'll "LOL" again.