User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    Ni
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/so
    Socionics
    EII

Default What does black history month really mean?

I’m curious. I have personally had enough of the “traditional celebration” of black history month. I think it would go a long way if we dropped the recycled stories of the common African American heroes in favor of an open dialog about racism. I also think we would all benefit form learning about the ancestry of African Americans prior to slavery and the 1960’s. The celebration of it just seems disingenuous. It also implies that African Americans are excluded from American history. Shouldn’t we be striving to have American history include everyone?
    "Re-examine all that you have been told... dismiss that which insults your soul."_Walt Whitman

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Ideally history would be inclusive. So far, it really isn't and you have to dig and find alternative sources if you want to know anything but the sanitized public school version of events. Black history month, to me, is a token acknowledgement and the least we can do. I'd like to see us do better.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    Ni
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/so
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    Ideally history would be inclusive. So far, it really isn't and you have to dig and find alternative sources if you want to know anything but the sanitized public school version of events. Black history month, to me, is a token acknowledgement and the least we can do. I'd like to see us do better.
    I've never really felt like black history month truly acknowledged what it is to be black in America. It feels very commercial. I think the best way to acknowledge it is to take the steps to correct it. To truthfully discuss it. I know I personally would value that a lot more than the current form of recognition.
    "Re-examine all that you have been told... dismiss that which insults your soul."_Walt Whitman

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTJ

Division. They gave you a month so that you would NEVER escape blackness. February is cold though, blacks don't do so good in the snow.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Hawbawbowba View Post
    Division. They gave you a month so that you would NEVER escape blackness. February is cold though, blacks don't do so good in the snow.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

"Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Admittedly as a white chick I don't really know what I'm supposed to do during black history month. I would like to be part of an open dialogue especially because I'm in the South where race relations are still tense at times... we still have very segregated schools and parts of the city. I feel like when I transferred to a department with a lot of older black adults at work, I learned a hell of a lot more about black culture, history, and experience than anything in school. I'm sure my awareness is still lacking, though, and a lot of the time I'm not sure how to realistically integrate it in my life.

MBTI
    INFX
    Enneagram

I don't get black history month, it's like throwing a black character in a sitcom to not look racist.

MBTI
    Ni
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/so
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    Admittedly as a white chick I don't really know what I'm supposed to do during black history month. I would like to be part of an open dialogue especially because I'm in the South where race relations are still tense at times... we still have very segregated schools and parts of the city. I feel like when I transferred to a department with a lot of older black adults at work, I learned a hell of a lot more about black culture, history, and experience than anything in school. I'm sure my awareness is still lacking, though, and a lot of the time I'm not sure how to realistically integrate it in my life.
    Spent my childhood in the south and went to h.s and college in the north. The only difference was that in the south racist people were actively racist. In the north they are more passively racist. In the south they segregate by districts in the north they do it with money. That's just been my experience. I remember moving to N.Y thinking wow race doesn’t matter here. I later realized the only reason I felt that way was because I was no longer one of three African American kids in my class but one of 20.

A few years later a cross was burned on the front lawn of an African American Childs home from the predominately white h.s less than 5 miles away from mine. They made us do an exchange program. We had to trade schools for a day. We had holes in the wall at my school and they had a new sports center and lounges. Later that year I found out I could switch schools if I wanted to. I happened to live in a sweet spot where I could attend either. I chose to stay. In my mind I'd rather have fewer resources than to be treated like a minority again. I had to make that decision again when I chose colleges. That time I chose resources. I want to live in a world where people don’t have to make that choice. So I agree with you and I understand why most white people don't get black history month in present day America.

MBTI
    Ni
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/so
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by inventor View Post
    I don't get black history month, it's like throwing a black character in a sitcom to not look racist.
    Thats what it feels like to me also.