User Tag List

First 123 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 23

  1. #11
    IRL is not real Cimarron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Posts
    3,424

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iNtrovert View Post
    I also think we would all benefit form learning about the ancestry of African Americans prior to slavery and the 1960’s.
    I think that'd be interesting, too. But not as part of a one-month deal, as part of a normal curriculum, as you say: Why box it into one month per year? How many high school students in the U.S. learn about Asian history or African history? We barely even learn about European history or Native American history. Or maybe we did, my high school "World History" course in 10th grade is kind of a blur by now. Yet because we are a nation of immigrants, many of us have ideas about where our families came from generations ago.

    What are more practical steps? Field trip to a slave plantation? (aware this is not pre-slavery, as we just said) I thought it was a pretty enlightening experience to be at the "epicenter" of the historical issue when I toured one. To make the history more than some story you read in a book. Or is that too hokey, you think?
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

  2. #12
    Senior Member iNtrovert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    MBTI
    Ni
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/so
    Socionics
    EII
    Posts
    362

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cimarron View Post
    I think that'd be interesting, too. But not as part of a one-month deal, as part of a normal curriculum, as you say: Why box it into one month per year? How many high school students in the U.S. learn about Asian history or African history? We barely even learn about European history or Native American history. Or maybe we did, my high school "World History" course in 10th grade is kind of a blur by now. Yet because we are a nation of immigrants, many of us have ideas about where our families came from generations ago.

    What are more practical steps? Field trip to a slave plantation? (aware this is not pre-slavery, as we just said) I thought it was a pretty enlightening experience to be at the "epicenter" of the historical issue when I toured one. To make the history more than some story you read in a book. Or is that too hokey, you think?

    I think allowing the millions of descendants of slaves who had their heritage violently stripped from them to get free DNA test is a good start. I think it could be easily done like a flu shot.
    "Re-examine all that you have been told... dismiss that which insults your soul."_Walt Whitman

  3. #13
    As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    2,879

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cimarron View Post
    I think that'd be interesting, too. But not as part of a one-month deal, as part of a normal curriculum, as you say: Why box it into one month per year? How many high school students in the U.S. learn about Asian history or African history? We barely even learn about European history or Native American history. Or maybe we did, my high school "World History" course in 10th grade is kind of a blur by now. Yet because we are a nation of immigrants, many of us have ideas about where our families came from generations ago.

    What are more practical steps? Field trip to a slave plantation? (aware this is not pre-slavery, as we just said) I thought it was a pretty enlightening experience to be at the "epicenter" of the historical issue when I toured one. To make the history more than some story you read in a book. Or is that too hokey, you think?
    If you're ever in North Florida, go to Kingsley Plantation. It's pretty cool.

    More about the Reconstruction Era and following years. There's more to black history than slavery. I think this time is important but it is almost completely ignored.

  4. #14
    Senior Member Forever_Jung's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Enneagram
    6
    Posts
    2,340

    Default


  5. #15
    royal member Rasofy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    5,932

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Forever_Jung View Post
    Morgan Freeman>God

  6. #16
    cool cat Freesia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    MBTI
    Meow
    Enneagram
    :0) so/sp
    Socionics
    EII Ne
    Posts
    252

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Forever_Jung View Post
    I really doubt that approach will solve anything.

    "Be clearly aware of the stars and infinity on high.
    Then life seems almost enchanted after all."
    - Vincent van Gogh






    johari/nohari

    infp 4w5 ?w? 9w? so=sp>sx

  7. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Posts
    85

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Freesia View Post
    I really doubt that approach will solve anything.
    Perpetual victimhood is so much better.

  8. #18
    ^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp
    Posts
    13,910

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Freesia View Post
    I really doubt that approach will solve anything.
    As someone sometimes accused as a person who acts like he has the answer to everything, I must say this is one of the tougher questions I know. There is a great deal of validity to the approach Freeman is proposing, and there also is to the opposite. On one hand, you can never expect racism (or any other demographic discrimination, like sexism or homophobia) to fully go away if you continue to draw lines and apply labels and draw so much attention to it. On the other hand, there is a serious concern that if one were to somehow bring an end to the use of of such categories before some of the practical realities faced by people within a given assigned category, it will only allow to the problems to fester unacknowledged.

    I don't know what I think we should do.
    Go to sleep, iguana.


    _________________________________
    INTP. Type 1>6>5. sx/sp.
    Live and let live will just amount to might makes right

  9. #19
    cool cat Freesia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    MBTI
    Meow
    Enneagram
    :0) so/sp
    Socionics
    EII Ne
    Posts
    252

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    As someone sometimes accused as a person who acts like he has the answer to everything, I must say this is one of the tougher questions I know. There is a great deal of validity to the approach Freeman is proposing, and there also is to the opposite. On one hand, you can never expect racism (or any other demographic discrimination, like sexism or homophobia) to fully go away if you continue to draw lines and apply labels and draw so much attention to it.
    Yes, but I think it's also dangerous to pretend that those lines don't exist. You draw attention to these things simply by existing, by being yourself.

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    On the other hand, there is a serious concern that if one were to somehow bring an end to the use of of such categories before some of the practical realities faced by people within a given assigned category, it will only allow to the problems to fester unacknowledged.
    Yeah, this is what I was getting at.

    "Be clearly aware of the stars and infinity on high.
    Then life seems almost enchanted after all."
    - Vincent van Gogh






    johari/nohari

    infp 4w5 ?w? 9w? so=sp>sx

  10. #20
    Senior Member iNtrovert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    MBTI
    Ni
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/so
    Socionics
    EII
    Posts
    362

    Default

    I agree with @Freesia that video was verging on ignorant the first time I saw it years ago and it's no better now.

    I just feel like it needs to be ok for people to be what and who they are. You can't get to that point by ignoring what they are. I don't like when people say I don't see color. Unless you have some kind of visual handicap you do in fact see what color people are. I mean imagine a doctor saying to someone "I don't see you as a female I just see you as a person". There are differences between male and female and if said doctor doesn't acknowledge that he/she can't do his/her job correctly. I am not the same as a white person even if you look at the issue from a historical perspective alone we are not the same. Why should we be seen as such? Isn’t that the point of promoting diversity?

    Bottom line Morgan Freedman is a black man. There is no way around it. That's just what he is. You however don't get to assign him an identity based on that any more than that doctor gets to use gender differences to assign an identity to his/her patient. There are all kinds of women just like there are all kinds of black people. Regardless of any other factors that make up an individuals identity that woman is still a woman and that black man is still a black man. I think it's less about invisibility and more about the weight we place on what we do see.

    I for one would just like it to be ok to be a black person or a gay person or a trans gender person or w.e person you are. I don’t want people to ignore or look past what I am to accept me. I’d rather them embrace what I am and celebrate me for that. Why is color something we have to not see or acknowledge in order to be accepting?
    "Re-examine all that you have been told... dismiss that which insults your soul."_Walt Whitman

Similar Threads

  1. President Trump Holds Meeting Honoring Black History Month At The White House
    By Xann in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-17-2017, 10:14 PM
  2. Stacy Dash says there shouldn't be a black history month.
    By jixmixfix in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-24-2016, 10:36 PM
  3. What does your type and gender mean to you?
    By Vilku in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 62
    Last Post: 07-20-2015, 09:50 PM
  4. What does the term "placebo effect" mean to you?
    By Octarine in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-14-2011, 05:09 PM
  5. what does goofy sense of humor means?
    By lkpo14 in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01-08-2009, 07:52 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO