User Tag List

12311 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 192

  1. #1
    Senior Member wildcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    3,619

    Default Racism (split from "I'm voting Republican" thread.)

    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    It's an interesting distinction to make, but racism doesn't have to assign negative connotations, does it?

    Also, on the other hand, what about a black voter who voted for Obama because Hillary Clinton is white, as opposed to Obama being black? Would that be racist?
    An African American person who votes for Obama is not a racist.
    African Americans are a suppressed minority.
    Minority and majority are not the same thing. Never equate them.
    Never say racism is not xenophobic hatred and impulse to oppress.

    Try to be generous.
    Yes, I know. Butterflies in the stomach.
    Be brave this one time.

  2. #2
    Sniffles
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    An African American person who votes for Obama is not a racist.
    That can easily be disputed on many levels. Many Blacks are voting for Obama simply because he is "Black"(actually mulatto, but claims he's Black).

    I have my doubts whether or not Obama, who comes from an affluent background, has any real connections to the wider Black community.


    African Americans are a suppressed minority.
    In what way exactly? A good article taking on this notion is RealClearPolitics - Articles - The End of 'Black America'

    One excerpt:
    "What do Fox News polemicist Bill O'Reilly, nappy-headed radio jock Don Imus, Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas, the leading Republican presidential candidates, the National Urban League, the NAACP and much of the national media have in common?

    They don't see, or don't want to admit, that "black America" is an increasingly meaningless concept -- nearly as imprecise as just plain "America."

    Why is O'Reilly under siege? Because he was shocked to learn that there exists in this country an upscale black-owned restaurant with an affluent African-American clientele. Four or five decades ago, you could reasonably generalize that "black America" was poor. Today, African-Americans control nearly $800 billion in annual purchasing power -- enough to dine occasionally at restaurants that have tablecloths.

    Why did Imus get fired by CBS and NBC? Because now there are senior black professionals in both of those companies with the clout to march into top executives' offices and argue that Imus had to go. Also because Al Roker, an African-American who happens to be one of the stars of "Today" -- often described as the most profitable show in all of television -- called publicly for Imus' head, or at least his cowboy hat.

    Why does Thomas, in his pugnacious autobiography, insist that he's being persecuted for holding views that are somehow off-limits to black Americans? Apparently, it would destroy his sense of his own exceptionalism to acknowledge the many African-Americans who share his conservative social views and his ethic of personal responsibility and self-help. (He's right, though, that on the subject of affirmative action, most black Americans do think he's nuts.)...

    ....The problem is that we all say we want an "honest dialogue" about race, but we've been having the same old arguments for years -- affirmative action, inner-city dysfunction, overt and covert racism -- and we seem to be stuck. We need a new language, a new vocabulary and syntax.

    Let's start by opening our eyes and recognizing that if there ever was a monolithic "black America" -- absolutely and uniformly deprived and aggrieved, with invariant values and attitudes -- there certainly isn't one now.

    So claiming that Blacks as a whole are some oppressed minority is rather absurd.


    Never say racism is not xenophobic hatred and impulse to oppress.
    Racism is the indiscriminate hatred of others simply because of their race. A majority and a minority can engage in such. I see plenty of that in my area.

  3. #3
    Wonderer Samuel De Mazarin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    1,026

    Default

    I'd just like to say that I find the term "mulatto" very offensive, along with "octoroon" and "quadroon"... this is the legacy of 'white' slaveowners and colonialists characterizing Africans as breeds, which we don't do with people from other backgrounds.

    Also, Peguy, don't you know that having even 1/32nd of 'black' heritage makes you black!!?!?!?!?!?
    <inflect last sentence for sarcasm>
    Madman's azure lie: a zen miasma ruled.

    Realize us, Madman!

    I razed a slum, Amen.

    ...............................................

  4. #4
    Sniffles
    Guest

    Default

    mulatto is a legitimate term.

  5. #5
    Senior Member wildcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    3,619

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    That can easily be disputed on many levels. Many Blacks are voting for Obama simply because he is "Black"(actually mulatto, but claims he's Black).

    I have my doubts whether or not Obama, who comes from an affluent background, has any real connections to the wider Black community.




    In what way exactly? A good article taking on this notion is RealClearPolitics - Articles - The End of 'Black America'

    One excerpt:



    So claiming that Blacks as a whole are some oppressed minority is rather absurd.




    Racism is the indiscriminate hatred of others simply because of their race. A majority and a minority can engage in such. I see plenty of that in my area.
    Yes.
    Did you read?
    No.
    I repeat then.
    An African American person who votes for Obama is not a racist.
    Why?
    I repeat.
    Minority is not a majority.
    Do you read me now?

    What does it take to read?

    You are partially right about Obama.
    He is not an African American by race.
    He is a European American by culture.
    Therefore he will win.

    It makes me sad.
    I am sure it makes Obama sad, too.

  6. #6
    Wonderer Samuel De Mazarin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    1,026

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    mulatto is a legitimate term.
    Legitimate? What's your standard for legitimacy?

    You do know that the term 'mulatto' derives from the Spanish for 'mule', right? And mules are generally infertile progeny of horses and donkeys?

    The U.S. census officially stopped using the term 'mulatto' back before the Civil Rights movement...

    Whatever... I'm sure you'll justify it by referring to how many people use it... I don't think it makes it kosher...

    Beyond all this... why do we have such a word for half-black/half-whites and not for other racial mixtures? Doesn't this make you wonder about the origin of the word? I should move this post to the "N"-word thread... it would make more sense there... I'll leave that to an admin.
    Madman's azure lie: a zen miasma ruled.

    Realize us, Madman!

    I razed a slum, Amen.

    ...............................................

  7. #7
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    An African American person who votes for Obama is not a racist.
    African Americans are a suppressed minority.
    Minority and majority are not the same thing. Never equate them.
    Never say racism is not xenophobic hatred and impulse to oppress.

    Try to be generous.
    Yes, I know. Butterflies in the stomach.
    Be brave this one time.
    You're wrong on the racism issue. I made a clear distinction between "racism" and "bigotry" and no one could contradict that satisfactorily. I also happen to have dictionary definitions on my side here, as you can see. Furthermore, if you honestly believe that different races should have completely different standards of appropriate behavior, then you dehumanize both the majority and the minority.

    As to my question before, it is obvious that a black person who votes for Obama is not a racist BY DEFINITION. However, voting for a black person SIMPLY for being black, is, by definition, racist thinking. You can't argue around that.

    And can't racism be the assigning of positive characteristics to your own race? Of course, it can.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

  8. #8
    only bites when provoked
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    2,127

    Default

    wildcat: I always liked you, but you have let me down for the first time...

    Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    An African American person who votes for Obama is not a racist.
    They're acting in a racist manner if their reason is the same as the skinhead's for voting for the national socialism candidate. This seems to be a clearly-established trend.

    Minority is not a majority.
    I'm a minority in nearly every possible sense, but it doesn't mean I vote based on the race of the candidates.
    I 100%, N 88%, T 88%, J 75%

    Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.

  9. #9
    Oberon
    Guest

    Default

    I'm not really clear on this whole "suppressed minority" bit. We've got a black candidate for president who has a real shot at winning this fall. One of the richest and most visible people in America, Oprah Winfrey, is a black woman and a self-made publisher and media mogul. In my work environment, African-Americans are represented at every level of employment including upper management (and I'm in North Carolina).

    I cannot tell you the last time I witnessed an expression of overt racism from a white person toward a black person, but it's been decades.

    Based on my experience, I judge that African-Americans have the same degree of opportunity for achievement as anyone else in the circles in which I have moved. If there is oppression or suppression, it must be very subtle.

  10. #10
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    I cannot tell you the last time I witnessed an expression of overt racism from a white person toward a black person, but it's been decades.
    That's a great development, but I would be looking more at the way white people talk about black people when they aren't there, if I were to make a judgment about "racist or not." And, we must remember, the flying of a Confederate flag or talking positively (or even dispassionately) about the South during the Civil War can be seen as "overt racism" by some.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Similar Threads

  1. What is truth (split from post poll)
    By SolitaryWalker in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 01-27-2013, 09:47 AM
  2. I'm voting Republican . . .
    By anii in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 196
    Last Post: 06-26-2009, 12:39 PM
  3. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 07-24-2008, 12:53 AM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-20-2008, 05:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO