User Tag List

First 2345614 Last

Results 31 to 40 of 192

  1. #31
    Wonderer Samuel De Mazarin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    1,026

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    I am not happy with the word blood in the context. It is a word Hitler used. He started the most destructive war in world history for "blood" and territory. Germans are not Aryans. Indo European is a linguistic concept.

    There is no such thing as Hungarian "blood" either.. in the way of genetics, the Magyars are Central Europeans, close to the Bavarians and the Poles. They changed part of their genes already on their long way from beyond the Urals. There are still Ugric peoples who live in the area. Only their languages resemble Hungarian.

    If the slavery had not ended, the African Americans would have changed their genes already. A multitude of African American families have changed their genes. Thousands have passed for white. They changed their culture, too. Upheavals take place as you say. There are exceptions in the rule.

    They are only exceptions. African American culture is not a matter of debate.
    I was using 'blood' as a synonym for genetic material. Frankly, I think racial divisions are bogus.
    Madman's azure lie: a zen miasma ruled.

    Realize us, Madman!

    I razed a slum, Amen.

    ...............................................

  2. #32
    Senior Member Eileen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?
    Posts
    2,191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    So would you say, then, that only a majority race can be racist?
    Not that you are asking me, but I'll chime in on this one: An individual might hold "racist" attitudes, regardless of his skin color... but individual racism and institutional racism are two different things, and what minorities often experience is institutional, systematic. Even if they hold racist attitudes, these attitudes do not have the net effect that the racism implicit in the institution has.



    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    I'm a minority in nearly every possible sense, but it doesn't mean I vote based on the race of the candidates.
    For the record, I completely agree with not voting BASED ON the race of the candidates (though I also don't really think there's anything wrong with blacks and women mobilizing to vote for someone who looks like them and who will more likely have their interests at heart).

    However, this makes me prickle:

    I'm a minority in nearly every possible sense.
    I may be presumptive here, but every picture I've seen of you gives indication that you are a straight white man . I suppose that it's possible that you're a religious minority, but you've got majority written all over you otherwise. If this is the case, your claim is ludicrous. If it is not the case, I apologize.

    Majority and minority aren't always about number. The minority is often marginalized by the majority. It's an inequality of power and advantage within the system, not just numbers.
    INFJ

    "I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

  3. #33
    Senior Member wildcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    3,619

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel De Mazarin View Post
    I was using 'blood' as a synonym for genetic material. Frankly, I think racial divisions are bogus.
    There exists no racial divisions.
    Only genetic diversity.
    It is bogus for the racists only.

  4. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    508

    Default

    Or I'm totally missing the point, or this thread lacks some definitions.

    Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    There exists no racial divisions.
    Only genetic diversity.
    All humans belong to the Homo sapiens species and the Homo sapiens sapiens subspecies, there's no other known subspecies of Homo sapiens today.
    We can't deny there exist population groups which members have different phenotype in several characteristics (pigmentation of skin, hair or eyes, blood type), but, as you said, the genetic diversion in this case is product of adaptation.

    Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    No.
    I only say it is natural for an African American person to vote Obama for the reason Obama is African American.
    To say such behaviour is racism may be hypocrisy.
    I'm not sure I get you here. You mean it's natural for an African American to vote Obama for the single reason that he's African American, while he may not even agree with his politics? I'd say, in the best of the cases, this would be a poor criterion. The same one that would say it's not natural for a non-African American to vote Obama.

    If you mean, however, that an African American will probably feel more affinity for and African American candidate in a country where African Americans are a minority and the majority won't care too much for minorities interests, then I agree with you. But, for an African American to vote Obama only because he's of the same "race" and for no other reason at all, then I'd say this mindset is rather racist.

  5. #35
    Wonderer Samuel De Mazarin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    1,026

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    There exists no racial divisions.
    Only genetic diversity.
    It is bogus for the racists only.
    Racial divisions are bogus for racists?

    uhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.... your cutesy apothegmic posts are starting to lose their consistency.
    Madman's azure lie: a zen miasma ruled.

    Realize us, Madman!

    I razed a slum, Amen.

    ...............................................

  6. #36
    homo-loving sonovagun anii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    infp
    Enneagram
    9
    Socionics
    fuck
    Posts
    900

    Default

    Here's an interesting test to unveil hidden biases: https://implicit.harvard.edu/implici...takeatest.html

    Re: racism. It's all about power. Who has it, who benefits from it, who is oppressing who, who can't or won't look at it and acknowledge their privilege (or lack thereof).

    If you don't believe that white americans still benefit largely from generations of institutional racism, then watch this video: RACE - The Power of an Illusion | PBS. Look up real estate titles, deeds, research redlining. Some of this verbiage remains intact, whether it's enforced or not. It's still there.

    It's not just about what happens in the present moment - it's about what passes down from generation to generation - wealth, lack of wealth.

    Of course there is both institutional racism and individual racism. The reason I focus on the former is because most people today deny the latter in themselves, while remaining ignorant of the extent to which they benefit from the former.
    There's reason to be afraid, and reason to open your heart. ~ Seal

    Refreshment for your ears: www.kexp.org

  7. #37
    Boring old fossil Night's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None
    Posts
    4,754

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel De Mazarin View Post
    uhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.... your cutesy apothegmic posts are starting to lose their consistency.
    I wholeheartedly disagree.

    -----


    Some of you need to flex your N better. This thread is a garbage pit for misappropriated ideals, needlessly scraping against one another.

    You people are debating from the same native animal. Whether you realize it is a credit to the profundity of its evolution in each of you.

  8. #38
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    What now?

    The apology is the end. The apologist has the last word.
    What is an apology?

    Does the apologist say I am sorry I was in the wrong?
    No.
    What does the apologist say?

    He says I am sorry I was in the right.

    The apologist was in the right then?
    She was not.
    Why?
    If you are in the right you do not apologize for yourself.
    You apologize for those who are in the wrong.
    I wasn't wrong in what I wrote. And I apologize for no one.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

  9. #39
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anii View Post
    Here's an interesting test to unveil hidden biases: https://implicit.harvard.edu/implici...takeatest.html

    Re: racism. It's all about power. Who has it, who benefits from it, who is oppressing who, who can't or won't look at it and acknowledge their privilege (or lack thereof).

    If you don't believe that white americans still benefit largely from generations of institutional racism, then watch this video: RACE - The Power of an Illusion | PBS. Look up real estate titles, deeds, research redlining. Some of this verbiage remains intact, whether it's enforced or not. It's still there.

    It's not just about what happens in the present moment - it's about what passes down from generation to generation - wealth, lack of wealth.

    Of course there is both institutional racism and individual racism. The reason I focus on the former is because most people today deny the latter in themselves, while remaining ignorant of the extent to which they benefit from the former.
    I take issue with these tests. Even when there is no or negative correlation within the tests you take, it may still tell you that you have moderate-to-strong association with certain biases based on the questionnaire questions.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

  10. #40
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    An African American person who votes for Obama is not a racist.
    You're jumping to a conclusion, here. You have to know the reason the individual voted for Obama to determine if he or she is a racist.

    African Americans are a suppressed minority.
    Your point?
    Minority and majority are not the same thing. Never equate them.
    So?
    Never say racism is not xenophobic hatred and impulse to oppress.
    That depends on your definition of racism. I don't agree with your definition of the word, and I'm certain I'm not the only one.

    Your post is full of Fe. It's often amusing when INTPs take an Fe dump on a thread.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Similar Threads

  1. What is truth (split from post poll)
    By SolitaryWalker in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 01-27-2013, 09:47 AM
  2. I'm voting Republican . . .
    By anii in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 196
    Last Post: 06-26-2009, 12:39 PM
  3. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 07-24-2008, 12:53 AM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-20-2008, 05:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO