User Tag List

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Racism (split from "I'm voting Republican" thread.)

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    Geez, guys.

Way to miss the point...
    What now?
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Reigning Bologna Princess Array Rajah's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Zergling View Post
    This seems worth its own thread. (But, as usual, please keep away from personal insults, general insults, or other posts along those lines.)
    Could you at least make it say "Racism"? It's hurting my soul. Much like this entire debate (of sorts) is.

I... suppose. Yeah!

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿ Array digesthisickness's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Rajah View Post
    Could you at least make it say "Racism"? It's hurting my soul.
    no shit. it cutted right to the core of mine.
    ✻ღϠ₡ღ✻
    (¯`✻´¯)
    `*.¸.*'ღϠ₡ღஇڿڰۣ
    •.¸¸. Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒჱܓ. இڿڰۣ.¸¸.இڿڰۣ´¯`·.─♥

Cerebral Artery
    http://www.facebook.com/CerebralArtery

Permabanned Array
    MBTI
    ExTJ

O.k., typo changed, back to the normal thread.

Reigning Bologna Princess Array Rajah's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Zergling View Post
    O.k., typo changed, back to the normal thread.
    Thank you!

I... suppose. Yeah!

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel De Mazarin View Post
    I'd just like to say that I find the term "mulatto" very offensive, along with "octoroon" and "quadroon"... this is the legacy of 'white' slaveowners and colonialists characterizing Africans as breeds, which we don't do with people from other backgrounds.

Also, Peguy, don't you know that having even 1/32nd of 'black' heritage makes you black!!?!?!?!?!?
    <inflect last sentence for sarcasm>
    The slave women had children with the plantation owners generation after generation.
    You can change your genes. The Hungarians did, when they settled on the Donau.
    You know what?
    They are still Hungarians.

Only racists say genes matter.
    African American entity is about culture.

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    The slave women had children with the plantation owners generation after generation.
    You can change your genes. The Hungarians did, when they settled on the Donau.
    You know what?
    They are still Hungarians.

Only racists say genes matter.
    African American entity is about culture.
    You can't change your genes. You can mix 'em up with genes from people of other 'races' and diversify the genes of your children. Someone with 1/2 Hungarian blood is no longer Hungarian. He's half-Hungarian. But if he's born and raised in Hungary, or identifies with Hungary, I guess he's fully Hungarian. The problem is when people mix up genetics with culture and don't acknowledge their moves... most people are very inconsistent. It's a fact that there are certain broad looks which can reasonably be said to correlate with certain cultural groups... but there are often upheavals, and more exceptions than rules, which make such stratifications worthless.
    Madman's azure lie: a zen miasma ruled.

Realize us, Madman!

I razed a slum, Amen.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    I'm not really clear on this whole "suppressed minority" bit. We've got a black candidate for president who has a real shot at winning this fall. One of the richest and most visible people in America, Oprah Winfrey, is a black woman and a self-made publisher and media mogul. In my work environment, African-Americans are represented at every level of employment including upper management (and I'm in North Carolina).

I cannot tell you the last time I witnessed an expression of overt racism from a white person toward a black person, but it's been decades.

Based on my experience, I judge that African-Americans have the same degree of opportunity for achievement as anyone else in the circles in which I have moved. If there is oppression or suppression, it must be very subtle.
    In the circles in which you have moved. Yes.

The majority of African Americans do not move in your circles.
    Why?
    Because of racism.

The article of Peguy is nonsense.

The day the per centage of African Americans in prisons and in colleges approximates that of the European Americans racism is passe.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel De Mazarin View Post
    You can't change your genes. You can mix 'em up with genes from people of other 'races' and diversify the genes of your children. Someone with 1/2 Hungarian blood is no longer Hungarian. He's half-Hungarian. But if he's born and raised in Hungary, or identifies with Hungary, I guess he's fully Hungarian. The problem is when people mix up genetics with culture and don't acknowledge their moves... most people are very inconsistent. It's a fact that there are certain broad looks which can reasonably be said to correlate with certain cultural groups... but there are often upheavals, and more exceptions than rules, which make such stratifications worthless.
    I am not happy with the word blood in the context. It is a word Hitler used. He started the most destructive war in world history for "blood" and territory. Germans are not Aryans. Indo European is a linguistic concept.

There is no such thing as Hungarian "blood" either.. in the way of genetics, the Magyars are Central Europeans, close to the Bavarians and the Poles. They changed part of their genes already on their long way from beyond the Urals. There are still Ugric peoples who live in the area. Only their languages resemble Hungarian.

If the slavery had not ended, the African Americans would have changed their genes already. A multitude of African American families have changed their genes. Thousands have passed for white. They changed their culture, too. Upheavals take place as you say. There are exceptions in the rule.

They are only exceptions. African American culture is not a matter of debate.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    What now?
    What now?

The apology is the end. The apologist has the last word.
    What is an apology?

Does the apologist say I am sorry I was in the wrong?
    No.
    What does the apologist say?

He says I am sorry I was in the right.

The apologist was in the right then?
    She was not.
    Why?
    If you are in the right you do not apologize for yourself.
    You apologize for those who are in the wrong.