User Tag List

First 917181920 Last

Results 181 to 190 of 192

  1. #181
    Senior Member wildcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    3,619

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    Wildcat, who are you different to btw?

    I find you to be a singular individual but no more so than any other who is so... colourful. I can think of many who are as singular but none are aspies (I must look that up at some point.... )
    I am different to those you are different to.
    The Hustler-Lee gang.

    Some of your singular friends may be closet aspies.

  2. #182
    Lex Parsimoniae Xander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj
    Posts
    4,463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    I do not doubt! I am with you all the way! This is what I meant. You were never hooked on the Ti loopey.. the ENTPs are never hooked on the Ti loopey!

    I am not et-tu-your-Brute! You are a new breed of a fellow-me-hero-lad!
    I knew it I knew it
    I have noted a phenomenom. All the most intelligent people I know contradict themselves... usually emphatically in the case of the ENFJ.

    Oh and I'd no more consider you for the job of assassin than I would myself for children's entertainer.
    Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    I am different to those you are different to.
    The Hustler-Lee gang.

    Some of your singular friends may be closet aspies.
    I have no idea. Many are quite... errm ... different. I think it's me though. I like characters (cards as they can be called).
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

  3. #183
    Senior Member Dom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Posts
    458

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    I am different to those you are different to.
    The Hustler-Lee gang.

    Some of your singular friends may be closet aspies.
    I'm not a closet aspie, though a friend of mine with a very autisic son thought I may be, as he watched me build a 5 foot high sand castles, compelte with moats, walls, curtain walls, and ring fort defences....

    Though obviously I count my self as one of xanders "singular friends: hehe

    Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    I do not doubt! I am with you all the way! This is what I meant. You were never hooked on the Ti loopey.. the ENTPs are never hooked on the Ti loopey!

    I am not et-tu-your-Brute! You are a new breed of a fellow-me-hero-lad!
    I knew it I knew it
    Oh and if you knew him in real life, he can get stuck on a Ti loop... but then so can I so I can hardly hold that against him...

  4. #184
    Senior Member Dom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Posts
    458

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    It's not inconsistent if I never stated there is no covert racism, and I never did that. I would, however, state that inequality is not due solely to past or present racism, as you seem to be maintaining here. There are more factors at play than discrimination.
    I agree, there are more factors at play in inequality than just discrimination on the grounds of race. That does not mean that discrimination on the grounds of race is not adding to the inequalities in society and the existence of other factors does not mean that we should not bother with trying to limit the effects of discrimination on the grounds of race.

    None of this makes any sense whatsoever. Especially the McCain. How would a middle-class person voting for McCain be "clearly voting with prejudicial sentiments?" That sounds kinda, you know, PREJUDICIAL there.
    If someone who normally voted democrat, had in the past agreed with Obama's stated policies (only perhaps when voiced from a different candidate) and then inexplictably voted for McCain, having critisied his policies, wouldn't you say that it would be presumptive to assume that this person had undergone a total change of political view? Or that something else, possibly race, possibily something else, prevents him from voting for Obama?

  5. #185
    Senior Member Dom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Posts
    458

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    What's wrong with accepting differences (or finding common ground) at the individual level, rather than the large group level? I am arguing for that, but no one seems to think about the issue in that regard.
    because it is the same thing, if everyone accepted differences at the individual level then there would be no non-acceptance of differences and thus no racism or any other kind of ism which is the prefferential treatement of one member of an identified group based upon a sterrotype of that group.

  6. #186
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dom View Post
    I agree, there are more factors at play in inequality than just discrimination on the grounds of race. That does not mean that discrimination on the grounds of race is not adding to the inequalities in society and the existence of other factors does not mean that we should not bother with trying to limit the effects of discrimination on the grounds of race.
    I agree here.



    If someone who normally voted democrat, had in the past agreed with Obama's stated policies (only perhaps when voiced from a different candidate) and then inexplictably voted for McCain, having critisied his policies, wouldn't you say that it would be presumptive to assume that this person had undergone a total change of political view? Or that something else, possibly race, possibily something else, prevents him from voting for Obama?
    In that case, it may be a racist/racial situation, or it may not be. However, that poster was suggesting that the ONLY reason that someone making, say, $35,000 per year would vote for McCain (or any other Republican, I would assume) as opposed to Obama is racism. That is ludicrous.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

  7. #187
    Senior Member Dom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Posts
    458

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    The day the per centage of African Americans in prisons and in colleges approximates that of the European Americans racism is passe.
    This could open a thread itself and before anyone thinks to accuse me of racism please wait I'm merely trying to satsify my Ti on this...

    Surely it is ONLY right for the prison population to be equal split between African Americans and European Americans if these groups commit the same number of crimes?

    One reason the African american prision population is higher is because the police and the judical system convict more african americans. This could be for a handful of reasons; one, they commit more crime; two, their crimes are more easily deteched; three, the system accepts a lower burden of proof for their conviction or four, a comibination of some or all the above?

    Being somewhat a liberal I naturally want to widen the debate further, especially if one arrives at the conclusion that African Americans do commit more crime, and that is the causes of crime which rightly or wrongly I hold poverty to be predominate.

    Actually I was reading an article about the "white tree" at some school in lousiana that started a whole row over race. It went on to discuss that actually the disparity between prision populations (with African American's being demographically over respresented) is worse in the more liberal, mostly European American populated states than many of the southern states where people would assume racism would be worse.

  8. #188
    Senior Member Dom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Posts
    458

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    In that case, it may be a racist/racial situation, or it may not be. However, that poster was suggesting that the ONLY reason that someone making, say, $35,000 per year would vote for McCain (or any other Republican, I would assume) as opposed to Obama is racism. That is ludicrous.
    That may have been what they meant and that would be ludicrous, I'm not sure that was what they intended though. As I implied I think they meant someone who would normally sypathise with Obama's policies, in their heads they may think that should be anyone earning $35,000 but that's their head isn't it? Obviously a large part of middle income america supports the Republicans, or else they'd not be the power in American politics that they are...

  9. #189
    Senior Member wildcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    3,619

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dom View Post
    This could open a thread itself and before anyone thinks to accuse me of racism please wait I'm merely trying to satsify my Ti on this...

    Surely it is ONLY right for the prison population to be equal split between African Americans and European Americans if these groups commit the same number of crimes?

    One reason the African american prision population is higher is because the police and the judical system convict more african americans. This could be for a handful of reasons; one, they commit more crime; two, their crimes are more easily deteched; three, the system accepts a lower burden of proof for their conviction or four, a comibination of some or all the above?

    Being somewhat a liberal I naturally want to widen the debate further, especially if one arrives at the conclusion that African Americans do commit more crime, and that is the causes of crime which rightly or wrongly I hold poverty to be predominate.

    Actually I was reading an article about the "white tree" at some school in lousiana that started a whole row over race. It went on to discuss that actually the disparity between prision populations (with African American's being demographically over respresented) is worse in the more liberal, mostly European American populated states than many of the southern states where people would assume racism would be worse.
    The Anglo-Saxons in England and in America differ in kind.
    The Irish in Ireland and in America differ in kind.

    The ones bent on emigration differ from those who stay at home.
    The people who leave the home turf are the people who dare.
    The people who dare commit more crimes.
    Therefore in the U.S. the Anglo-Saxons commit more crimes per capita than the Anglo-Saxons in the Old Merry.

    The African Americans of the U.S. originate from the South.
    Some of them left the home turf.

  10. #190
    Senior Member Dom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Posts
    458

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    The Anglo-Saxons in England and in America differ in kind.
    The Irish in Ireland and in America differ in kind.

    The ones bent on emigration differ from those who stay at home.
    The people who leave the home turf are the people who dare.
    The people who dare commit more crimes.
    Therefore in the U.S. the Anglo-Saxons commit more crimes per capita than the Anglo-Saxons in the Old Merry.

    The African Americans of the U.S. originate from the South.
    Some of them left the home turf.
    It's been atleast a couple of generations maybe 4 since the US was accepting anglo-saxons (as immigrants)....

    So people who Dare commit crimes huh? I buy that, but how many do it only for the thrill? Those you dared, emigrated did they? but why did they want to emigrate? There are things that drive these things and poverty drives(in the case of crime)/drove(in the case of mass migration to the USA) both these things.

    And on a thread about racism you just accused the European (or more specifically the anglo-saxon) population of america of being more inclined to commit crime than their English cousins... Are you really sure about that?

Similar Threads

  1. What is truth (split from post poll)
    By SolitaryWalker in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 01-27-2013, 09:47 AM
  2. I'm voting Republican . . .
    By anii in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 196
    Last Post: 06-26-2009, 12:39 PM
  3. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 07-24-2008, 12:53 AM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-20-2008, 05:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO