User Tag List

First 51314151617 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    And I'm a Cubs fan- you don't need to tell me about rooting for the underdog
    I've always thought there's been something a little bit 'off' about you. Now it makes perfect sense.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INTj

Have you ever played with a polarizing lens on a manual camera PM? When you turn the lens one way when looking at water you see the surface reflecting back the sky and the landscape- it's beautiful and simple, what most people are willing to look at and accept as a nice water scene. If you turn the polarizing lens the other way though, you see through the surface into the often ugly depths of the water- it's not what you want to see- it's not what you see through normal photography, but it's what gives the surface it's tension and reflection ability.

History is the underpinnings of our society- we can try and ignore it- look at what we have now and ignore the ugly little bits from the past, but they'll always be there giving us what we have now. Overt v covert racism- the overt- the hoods and nooses are mostly gone, but the covert is harder to see- and it often disguises itself in ways that you'd never imagine. Ignoring the past and WHY society is the way it is, and caring less about fixing the root problems because they are rooted in the past is a form of covert racism that is quite acceptable today.

Your American History may be different than mine.

I could have wrote a better post, of course. But not by much.
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

MBTI
    ESFJ

Have you ever played with a polarizing lens on a manual camera PM? When you turn the lens one way when looking at water you see the surface reflecting back the sky and the landscape- it's beautiful and simple, what most people are willing to look at and accept as a nice water scene. If you turn the polarizing lens the other way though, you see through the surface into the often ugly depths of the water- it's not what you want to see- it's not what you see through normal photography, but it's what gives the surface it's tension and reflection ability.
    My whole adult life has been spent trying NOT to looks through lenses, but to see things as they are, with open eyes.

History is the underpinnings of our society- we can try and ignore it- look at what we have now and ignore the ugly little bits from the past, but they'll always be there giving us what we have now. Overt v covert racism- the overt- the hoods and nooses are mostly gone, but the covert is harder to see- and it often disguises itself in ways that you'd never imagine. Ignoring the past and WHY society is the way it is, and caring less about fixing the root problems because they are rooted in the past is a form of covert racism that is quite acceptable today.
    Learning from the past is great. Being a slave to it (pardon the phrasing) is not. It gets people into negative modes of thinking that they cannot break. Racism still exists today, absolutely. We need to focus on how to make it better today and tomorrow. Obsession with the past is not a positive, because the past was terrible in this regard. We do not want to make the same mistakes as in the past, obviously. I think that we, because of our differing beliefs, have differing ideas as to what the "root problems" are.

Your American History may be different than mine.
    Maybe. My America may be different than yours, which is one of the great things about being an American.

That is a tough one. Philly hasn't had a world championship in a major sport since I was 9 months old, and I am leaving town in two months. Hopefully, the Flyers' turnaround continues, and I will at least be able to fly home for a parade sometime in the next 2-3 years.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

you missed the point by a mile, dear.
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    My whole adult life has been spent trying NOT to looks through lenses, but to see things as they are, with open eyes.
    That's a nice thought, but we have lenses built-in already. It may be a more honest approach to look through a variety of lenses and take that multitude of perspectives into account rather than deluding ourselves into thinking that what we see "with open eyes" is definitively true or real.
    INFJ

"I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

MBTI
    ESFJ

you missed the point by a mile, dear.
    I think our points just are far from each other's on the map.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

the difference is that I can see what you're writing
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ESFJ

the difference is that I can see what you're writing
    Then make it simple for my S brain to wrap around. I'm giving it a shot.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Ss are smart... and I did think I'd made it simple

MBTI
    ESFJ

Ss are smart... and I did think I'd made it simple
    I know, I was joking about the S part. You said I missed the point. Can you make it a little finer? I don't know how else to respond. I must not be getting something.