User Tag List

First 89101112 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    I wasn't wrong in what I wrote. And I apologize for no one.
    I used the word apology in a wider, original meaning.
    You can find the thing in a good dictionary.
    What is apologetic behaviour?

I beg my pardon?
    I beg your pardon.

I beg your pardon that I am in the wrong?
    I beg your pardon that I am in the right.

"I beg your pardon.
    I never promised you a rose garden."

What exactly does the song writer say?

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    That Jewish American female writer is in the right. She speaks the truth. She is no way a racist.
    Empathy and pity are not racism. This was my point.

I should vote Obama for empathy. Not for empathy for Obama, but for empathy for the ethnic and cultural minorities. Unfortunately I am not an American citizen.

Would you call me a racist? I hope not.
    Besides, such an act is forbidden in the Bible.
    Voting for someone specifically because of his or her race is racist, in the most literal definition there is. There is no way around that. And I will go further: voting for someone based on empathy and pity, rather than based on his or her policies, is idiotic and offensive to me as a fellow voter.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Hmm View Post
    Then I guess we should get back to racism....

I think having a black President will end the perception that black people have that there is so much racism in the U.S. That's one good thing I see coming out of having Obama as President.
    Ah, but there is still racism in the United States (within all races). Why would we want to end a perception that is somewhat accurate? Electing a black man won't make a white racist change his mind. It will make non-racist whites feel better about themselves, but that is not what elections are supposed to do. Treating Obama the same as every other presidential candidate (hopefully, very cynically) would be a much better sign that things are going well in our country.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Different cultures getting together and mixing (breeding) is what will end what racism may be left.
    I support the Jay Bulworth racial relations program:

Bulworth: "We just gotta eliminate them!"

Interviewer: "Eliminate whom? Rich people?"

Bulworth: "No! White people! White people, black people, brown people, yellow people, get rid of 'em all! All we need is a voluntary, free spirited, open-ended program of procreative racial deconstruction: everybody just gotta keep fuckin' everybody 'til they're all the same color!"

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Different cultures getting together and mixing (breeding) is what will end what racism may be left.
    Humans will always find a way to separate themselves. If it isn't race, it'll be something else.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?

Yeah, people always will do the in-group/out-group thing. And I don't think that eliminating diversity is desirable. There just need to be fewer jerks overall.

edit: haha, didn't notice Lat's type. Unintentional!
    INFJ

"I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    This thread was, yes. It was split because I linked an article by a Jewish-American female writer who basically said, "I am voting for Obama, because black people have it so tough" and I declared that to be racist reasoning.

What I did say was that an African-American who votes for Obama ONLY because he is part-African American is using racist reasoning. The same as a white person who votes for Clinton or McCain or whomever ONLY because they are white.
    I see. I think I agree with the second part, but I don't agree with the first.
    As wildcat pointed out,

Not for empathy for Obama, but for empathy for the ethnic and cultural minorities.
    Obama, supposedly at least, being of a minority himself, probably he would show more understanding and empathy for fellow minority's members. I don't particularly agree with this way of thinking, but I can understand why one might think likewise.

However, I agree 1000% with the second part of your post:
    Voting for any candidate, with only criterion his/her "race" is totally a racist way of thinking.

I guess the racist part can also emerge from the empathy part, but it doesn't have to necessarily be the case.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Obama, supposedly at least, being of a minority himself, probably he would show more understanding and empathy for fellow minority's members. I don't particularly agree with this way of thinking, but I can understand why one might think likewise.
    I don't think that follows logically, but I understand the mindset. As I said, you have to look at the policies, not the skin color or religion or flag lapel pins or whatever other nonsense people report.

However, I agree 1000% with the second part of your post:
    Voting for any candidate, with only criterion his/her "race" is totally a racist way of thinking.
    Well, that's nice to hear. Some people don't even understand that. I would never vote for Obama. Who his parents were has nothing to do with it.

MBTI
    INTP

Thank you, Night and lastrailway.

nonsense people, pure mercury? I am sure your English teacher would not be happy with such an expression. Say irrational people.
    The Jewish writer in question is not irrational.
    You can vote for Obama because of his race and yet be rational. It is not the question of the person Obama or his policies.
    The question is to have an African American in the highest office in the country.

A thing called the Domino Effect.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Thank you, Night and lastrailway.

nonsense people, pure mercury? I am sure your English teacher would not be happy with such an expression. Say irrational people.
    The Jewish writer in question is not irrational.
    You can vote for Obama because of his race and yet be rational. It is not the question of the person Obama or his policies.
    The question is to have an African American in the highest office in the country.

A thing called the Domino Effect.
    You misunderstood me. I was saying that it was nonsense what some people in the news report. Flag lapel pins matter nothing to the upcoming election, and, yet, we have news reports about them.

I also didn't claim that she was irrational, simply that she used racist reasoning. Voting for someone simply based on his or her race is racist. It is. There is no way around it. If a white man were to say, "I am voting for John McCain because he is white," would that not be racist reasoning in action?