User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    yupp

because most people when it comes down to it are emotionally unstable, and giving them rocket launchers would be a terrible idea
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

ndovjtjcaqidthi

You don't need a rocket launcher

figsfiggyfigs

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    The question is just as the title.

Make your argument for why people should not be allowed to own rocket launchers.

If you think that people should be allowed to, than make your arguments for why they ought not own one anyway.

If you think people should go ahead and own rocket launchers, then state as much.
    Come to iraq, I'll show you!

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Because it's a destructive device and classified as such under the law.
    Okay.

First of all, the question about why people should be allowed to do something or not, I thought, rather strongly implied a question of law, because who else has the authority to decide what you are or aren't allowed to do? So in one sense, I could be asking why it should be law, and in that way, your response is basically saying "it should be the law because it is the law".

Secondly, I'm not sure that it is the law in the USA. I believe with some permits/licenses that are accessible to any private citizen with the money, you can get a rocket launcher. At least, that's how I think it is at the federal level. Obviously state and particularly municipal law could have stronger restrictions.

And thirdly, destructive device is vague. Isn't a gun a destructive device? Is it not designed to be good a creating a kind of destruction? An automobile is certainly a device that can be very destructive. So what do we mean by this and where is the line drawn? How is a rocket launcher destructive in just the right way?
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Okay.

First of all, the question about why people should be allowed to do something or not, I thought, rather strongly implied a question of law, because who else has the authority to decide what you are or aren't allowed to do? So in one sense, I could be asking why it should be law, and in that way, your response is basically saying "it should be the law because it is the law".

Secondly, I'm not sure that it is the law in the USA. I believe with some permits/licenses that are accessible to any private citizen with the money, you can get a rocket launcher. At least, that's how I think it is at the federal level. Obviously state and particularly municipal law could have stronger restrictions.

And thirdly, destructive device is vague. Isn't a gun a destructive device? Is it not designed to be good a creating a kind of destruction? An automobile is certainly a device that can be very destructive. So what do we mean by this and where is the line drawn? How is a rocket launcher destructive in just the right way?
    You can jump through hoops to get a DD license, but it's not something I'm interested in pursuing at this time. The licenses are so rare that the only time you'll see people firing DD's are at the largest machine gun shoots.

Essentially no one besides really wealthy people and firearm manufacturers have the licenses, I've actually never met someone who's had a DD license. It's much more rare than a Class III license.

If you wanted to ask a more specific question you should have done so.

You asked why shouldn't someone have a rocket launcher so I stated that without proper licensure it violates federal statutes. The DD license covers any kind of exploding ordinance, where as Class III deals with Full auto, SBR, suppressors etc.

In the OP you asked to make your argument, since I like to follow (most) laws, I stated that it was classified as a DD and assuming you don't have a DD license as almost no one does, that would therefore bar you owning one.

Ask better questions if you want better answers.

EDIT - the DD license also covers anything with greater than a half inch bore.

For instance if I wanted to order a Denel NTW-20...

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

You can jump through hoops to get a DD license, but it's not something I'm interested in pursuing at this time. The licenses are so rare that the only time you'll see people firing DD's are at the largest machine gun shoots.

Essentially no one besides really wealthy people and firearm manufacturers have the licenses, I've actually never met someone who's had a DD license. It's much more rare than a Class III license.

If you wanted to ask a more specific question you should have done so.

You asked why shouldn't someone have a rocket launcher so I stated that without proper licensure it violates federal statutes. The DD license covers any kind of exploding ordinance, where as Class III deals with Full auto, SBR, suppressors etc.

In the OP you asked to make your argument, since I like to follow (most) laws, I stated that it was classified as a DD and assuming you don't have a DD license as almost no one does, that would therefore bar you owning one.

Ask better questions if you want better answers.

EDIT - the DD license also covers anything with greater than a half inch bore.

For instance if I wanted to order a Denel NTW-20...

So in other words, it is not illegal. Ergo, your rationale for one not owning a rocket launcher in your first post is not founded on a fact.

So, why do you think it should be illegal, presuming that you do?
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

So in other words, it is not illegal. Ergo, your rationale for one not owning a rocket launcher in your first post is not founded on a fact.

So, why do you think it should be illegal, presuming that you do?
    It is essentially illegal. Maybe you should deign to learn the laws before you lecture someone who knows vastly more about them than you do.

I think the current set up is fine. I like it essentially illegal.

And if that doesn't satisfy you. Too bad.

I would recommend of study of gray areas and quasi-legality.

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

It is essentially illegal. Maybe you should deign to learn the laws before you lecture someone who knows vastly more about them than you do.

I think the current set up is fine. I like it essentially illegal.

And if that doesn't satisfy you. Too bad.
    You think something being available but only feasible for the wealthy is sufficient to call illegal? And remember, you're answering this as someone who supposedly knows far more about the law than me.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

You think something being available but only feasible for the wealthy is sufficient to call illegal?
    Do you not understand something being quasi-legal?

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

@Beorn get ready for "spreading" as I've heard you call it.