First 67891018 Last

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    This explains quite a bit.
    You know what makes you look credible? Displaying your ignorant prejudices.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    You know what makes you look credible? Displaying your ignorant prejudices.
    I'm just glad I got to learn normal socialization in High School, you know have a tight knit group of friends and a larger circle of friends and acquaintances and a girlfriend.

I was really prepared to jump in with both feet when I got to college where I had an AMAZING time.

I've really benefited from my normal education thus far. And to be perfectly honest, with the new job in finance things seem to be only looking up for me.

How are things going with you?

Level 8 Propaganda Bot SpankyMcFly's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    461 so/sx

Basically, communities prosper on the basis of mutual compromise, and as far as I can tell, the live and let live philosophy is always hostile to compromise.
    Reasonable people can disagree on what compromise IS and how to achieve it. However cooperativism/communism and the tyranny of the majority (just look at Egypt's failed reboot and other historic examples of a majority gone awry) is essentially "For the greater good". I believe your use of "always" is quite telling in regards to your world view with respect to people who may disagree with you.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... Some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age. " - H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by SpankyMcFly View Post
    Reasonable people can disagree on what compromise IS and how to achieve it. However cooperativism/communism and the tyranny of the majority (just look at Egypt's failed reboot and other historic examples of a majority gone awry) is essentially "For the greater good". I believe your use of "always" is quite telling in regards to your world view with respect to people who may disagree with you.
    I'm taking live and let live as an ideal, and I don't see that it works. Besides, by my experience, that is usually what people are getting at when they bother invoking the phrase at all.

But compromise is inevitable as part of a society, and communism and tyranny never need enter into it. The thing is, when people apply the logic of live and let live, what they tend to do is use it in an absolute way but cherry pick where to use it. I,e.. they argue to remove one form of compromise on the basis of live and let live and and completely ignore countless others.

If you want to argue about who should compromise what, there are really much better starting points than that philosophy.

EDIT: Also, cooperativism? Methinks we don't have the same idea of what that word means.

I'm just glad I got to learn normal socialization in High School, you know have a tight knit group of friends and a larger circle of friends and acquaintances and a girlfriend.
    That bold part drives in the point far more than you know.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

That bold part drives in the point far more than you know.
    I'm just curious what kind of dividends your upbringing is (or isn't) paying you these days.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

I'm just curious what kind of dividends your upbringing is (or isn't) paying you these days.
    Well, for one thing, I do think it has helped me to be far more intelligent than you. And I had the handicap of overcoming my poverty to do it, where as you were handed wealth from birth and couldn't turn any of it into intelligence.

By the way, did you notice how you just walked right into another situation where social class obviously matters? For someone who hates the topic so much, you might want to stay away from it. But then, I know that because of your privileged position and "normal socialization" you cannot perceive when and where class is a relevant factor, so you wouldn't know how to avoid it.

Now, I don't see why I should tell you about my personal life in this context, and it is just weird for your to bring it up of your own volition the way you do. I tend to think that an attempt at turning a political discussion into a competition of life quality is a sign of a weak understanding of the topic or personal insecurity. At any rate, you chose to describe your life vaguely and entirely in positives, and even a remotely honest answer from me would include a negative, which I imagine you would treat as the entire content of the post. Or in other words, it is not a relevant topic and I don't have any reason to believe you would treat it fairly at all.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Level 8 Propaganda Bot SpankyMcFly's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    461 so/sx

But compromise is inevitable as part of a society, and communism and tyranny never need enter into it. The thing is, when people apply the logic of live and let live, what they tend to do is use it in an absolute way but cherry pick where to use it. I,e.. they argue to remove one form of compromise on the basis of live and let live and and completely ignore countless others.
    The bolded part doesn't make sense to me. I think you meant to say "they tend to NOT to use it absolutely, they cherry pick where to use it"?

Cherry picking is pretty normal, most people are pragmatic when it comes to their interests and our interests do vary in kind and strength. They also change over time. I don't really believe anything absolutely or even in the concept of absolute. Show me enough evidence and I may change my mind.

In the meantime I work from the position of "...doing unto others, wherever reasonable, as they want to be done by" IF I know how others want to be treated. See how wordy that is? Live and let live is much simpler and conveys the bottom line without the philosophy/semantics.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... Some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age. " - H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

The bolded part doesn't make sense to me. I think you meant to say "they tend to NOT to use it absolutely, they cherry pick where to use it"?
    I mean that they are selective in where they apply it, but where they apply it, is not a conditional or moderated idea. It's all or nothing, though in these cases the people who use it seem to be somewhat unaware of all situations where they choose nothing.

Cherry picking is pretty normal, most people are pragmatic when it comes to their interests and our interests do vary in kind and strength. They also change over time. I don't really believe anything absolutely or even in the concept of absolute. Show me enough evidence and I may change my mind.
    Are you trying to say that you accept live and let live because you accept that any ideal will involve cherry picking? I'm not sure I follow.

In the meantime I work from the position of "...doing unto others, wherever reasonable, as they want to be done by" IF I know how others want to be treated. See how wordy that is? Live and let live is much simpler and conveys the bottom line without the philosophy/semantics.
    I really seriously don't think that's what a lot of people mean when they say live and let live, so the distinction does matter.

For one thing, your elaboration puts a little bit of an obligation on you, since it suggests you should go out of your war to do something for someone if they want it done. The very important and totally vague operational word here would be "reasonable".
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Well, for one thing, I do think it has helped me to be far more intelligent than you. And I had the handicap of overcoming my poverty to do it, where as you were handed wealth from birth and couldn't turn any of it into intelligence.
    Yea, what ever will I do with my International Baccalaureate (IB) diploma in addition to my PUBLIC high school diploma.

Oh I know, I'll first get invited to study at Cambridge in the UK over the summer, then get paid to go to UF on a 100% academic scholarship.

There I might join the Fraternity and drink my face off while still graduating with honors, and get into Law School.

I might then decide to leave law school to be the Assistant NE Florida field director for Marco Rubio's 2010 Senate campaign.

From there I might lobby against the Durbin Amendment of the Dodd Frank financial bill for Bonner & Associates. Unfortunately that Amendment passed and all 30 of us were let go.

Not to worry though because I can go assist the Head Fundraiser at the American action network. Given that rent was expensive and think tanks don't pay very much, I eventually left DC to come home and make some real money selling houses.

I sold over 1 million in houses last year before meeting one of the senior advisers from the local Waddell & Reed branch who then told his boss that I was wasted in real estate.

Cut to several months later. I've passed the series 7 with an 80 and the series 66 with an 88 and am now studying for my 2-15 insurance exam. I've already lined up multiple clients to hit the ground running when I begin.

Now some of that was certainly helped by the family I was born into, but that help occurs on the margins. Non of it would be possible if I wasn't very smart and worked very hard.

Now you can sit in your room on the internet (where I'm guessing the balance of your friends reside) and posit about how much more intelligent you are than me, but I just don't see it.

Your just an INTP who thinks he's smarter than everyone. All you really do is pick shit apart to death and "spread" as @Beorn calls it.

You make having to answer your arguments so tedious that no one cares to do so anymore. I decided to put a little more effort into it today than I usually do.

You are clearly intelligent in a book smarts, fire up the internet thesaurus kind of way, but I bet socially you are just this side of wallflower awkward.

I stopped getting into intellectual dick measuring contests years ago. I'm happy with how smart I am, and those around me have been plenty happy with it my whole life.

What have you actually accomplished with all those smarts you claim to have?

If not much, that's just sad. What a waste of potential.