User Tag List

First 1234513 Last

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    They are the most powerful weapon you can own here (without jumping through a whole lot of legal hoops), and it is thus the best thing to protect you in any situation, that is unless I can get my hands on a Bradley fighting vehicle or an A-10 warthog.

I would rather have an ar15 short barreled rifle for home defense than anything else. I got 30rnds of 2000+fps stop you dead. I'd rather clear a house with a short barreled AR than anything except maybe this (with the short barrel not the barrel in the video)...

It's about that as well. We like shooting guns.
    The above is a non sequitur; the underlying assumption is that the only threats you will ever have to deal with are those that are legally sanctioned, or were legally sanctioned at one point or another before being obtained illegally.

Just sayin'.

In any case, Vectors are radical. I like their unorthodox design.

Default No Guns and No Republic

Quote Originally Posted by WhoCares View Post
    Actually I seem to recall a rather infamous gun massacre in Port Arthur in Australia, not too long ago. Martin Bryant anyone?
    Yes, it was the gun massacre at Port Arthur that led us to ban guns in 1996.

I remember it vividly. Our conservative Prime Minister addressed the crowd wearing a bullet proof vest, for the very first time a Prime Minister had to wear a bullet proof vest.

Yes, your vile National Rifle Association had been inciting Australians against their elected representatives, and there was intelligence that there might be an attempt to shoot the Prime Minister as he announced the ban on guns.

But we faced and faced down the murderous National Rifle Association, and I can tell you we are sick and tired of the propaganda of the National Rifle Association on this site.

And the decision to ban guns is the most popular decision made by any government in Australia.

But not content to force your repulsive and evil gun culture on Australia, you tried to force an American Republic on Australia in 1999.

And thank heavens we are still a democracy, for all of Australia, except for one small territory, voted against an American Republic in 1999.

WhoCares

I still think there is a gaping hole in the self defense argument though. I mean if a semi0auto is what you need to defend yourself from some kind of crossfire situation, being mugged in the street by bad dudes with lead pipes or a carjacking. Doesn't that men you need to carry the darn thing with you everywhere you go? It doesn't look like that is going to fit in your jeans pocket, so you get around the supermarket, cafes and restaurants in paramilitary getup?

To my mind. There will always be someone who outguns you anyway. Most attacks aren't random, they are planned hits in which case why are you hanging out with gun runners and druglords? Surely the company you keep is one of the most useful things youc an do to protect yourself and family. If a foreign army lands and invades, do you really think you one man band is going to save you? They're an army with much more gunpower than you could even put your hands on. And where are you going to replenish your ammo in an invasion situation. It seems to me that this whole, they've got guns so I need guns too argument, while on the face of it makes sense. Once you start thinking about it, makes less sense.

But sure if owning a bazooka helps you sleep at night, go right ahead.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    The above is a non sequitur; the underlying assumption is that the only threats you will ever have to deal with are those that are legally sanctioned, or were legally sanctioned at one point or another before being obtained illegally.

Just sayin'.

Ever played with ammonium nitrate and diesel fuel oil?

I have.

Quote Originally Posted by Nights and Days View Post
    "The vanity of the natives led them therefore to concentrate their enthusiasm on a rejected statue of commerce intended for the Suez Canal. This they had purchased at secondhand and grandiloquently labelled "Liberty enlightening the World". They had been prophetic enough to put it on an island with its back to the mainland."

-Aleister Crowley
    Actually the Statue of Liberty is a copy of a statue of a prostitute installed in Notre Dame Cathedral, Paris, France, by the French revolutionaries to mock Notre Dame, Our Lady, Mary the Mother of God.

The French revolutionaries thought this would be appreciated by the American revolutionaries, who were Protestant to their back teeth and hated anything to do with Mary, the Mother of God, and were delighted to join in the mocking of Notre Dame by installing the Statue of Liberty in the most prominent place in the USA.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by WhoCares View Post
    I still think there is a gaping hole in the self defense argument though. I mean if a semi0auto is what you need to defend yourself from some kind of crossfire situation, being mugged in the street by bad dudes with lead pipes or a carjacking. Doesn't that men you need to carry the darn thing with you everywhere you go? It doesn't look like that is going to fit in your jeans pocket, so you get around the supermarket, cafes and restaurants in paramilitary getup?

To my mind. There will always be someone who outguns you anyway. Most attacks aren't random, they are planned hits in which case why are you hanging out with gun runners and druglords? Surely the company you keep is one of the most useful things youc an do to protect yourself and family.
    The pistol just is just to get me to the gun in my trunk, which will be a semi auto rifle.

If a foreign army lands and invades, do you really think you one man band is going to save you?
    The Afghans have a pretty stout record of defending themselves against over matched foes. And any way, I would prefer to defend myself regardless of what happens to find itself outside my door.

They're an army with much more gunpower than you could even put your hands on.
    They are few invading a country of 10s of millions of gun owners in a world where explosive recipes are on the internet and the materials aren't that hard to find.

The resistance to any such occupation would be absolutely massive.

And where are you going to replenish your ammo in an invasion situation. It seems to me that this whole, they've got guns so I need guns too argument, while on the face of it makes sense. Once you start thinking about it, makes less sense.
    Some of us purchase ammo so that a shortage wouldn't affect us for a WHILE...

What doesn't make sense is limiting my ability to defend myself for any reason besides making you feel better.

It's not just guns is it?

Americans are paranoid about their government. And Americans are paranoid about their neighbours. You are happily trapped inside your paranoid fantasy, and guns are the anchor of your fantasy.

And this opens the interesting psychological question of, why are Americans paranoid?

And this a psychological site devoted to archetypes. So why is the archetypal American paranoid?

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    It's not just guns is it?

Americans are paranoid about their government. And Americans are paranoid about their neighbours. You are happily trapped inside your paranoid fantasy, and guns are the anchor of your fantasy.

And this opens the interesting psychologal question of, why are Americans paranoid?

And this a psychological site devoted to archetypes. So why is the archetypal American paranoid?
    Folks thought they could tax us without giving us parliamentary representation.

Looking back, I think it was a mild oversight on their part.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    It is boss a fuck. They're expensive as shit though.

I'd def have to set up a trust or llc to get the SBR version.

The only drawback is that .45 wont defeat body armor where as 5.56mm will (as long as they don't have a trauma plate, or higher rated armor).

Default Patricide and Paranoia

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Folks thought they could tax us without giving us parliamentary representation.
    C'mon, this is the propaganda they teach American school children.

In fact there was a violent bourgeois revolution against lawful authority.

The lawful authority was personified in the King. And so the American revolution symbolically killed the King. This is symbolic patricide for which Americans feel the guilt of the child who kills the father.

The violent bourgeois revolution was highly successful so Americans have been able to deny the guilt they feel for killing the father.

And in denying the guilt, there is no forgiveness, so Americans are constantly afraid they will be punished for killing the father.

And it is this fear of punishment for patricide that drives American paranoia.