User Tag List

First 71516171819 Last

Default Guns in the Home

Quote Originally Posted by _eric_ View Post
    What a lulzy ad. Perfect example of garbage emotional argumentation. "Bu-bu-but think of the children!" does [should] not give you a free pass to throw logic out the window [even though it happens so often anyways because most people still buy into it].
    Guns in the home are not a matter of logic but a matter of emotion.

And I am surprised that on a site devoted to psychology that guns are treated as a matter of logic, and the profound emotional meaning of guns in the home is not addressed.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Stanton Moore View Post
    of all the millions of possible things to obsess about, why has my country chosen guns and football?
    Really, it's obsurd.
    Might as well focus on shit that's fun.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Might as well focus on shit that's fun.
    No it reflects a lack of iimagination, and an inability to think for one's self.
    kudos for that, man/child...

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

No it reflects a lack of iimagination, and an inability to think for one's self.
    The NFL and football generally dominate the American cultural space because football is fun and exciting to watch (maybe not to you or a curiously high percentage of those that frequent this site, but you can't argue with the numbers).

What are you more likely to see in a movie, a gun fight, or a discussion of knitting techniques?

Guns are cool, and crazy fun to shoot. Given these realities, and the unique nature of the American character it's no wonder guns and football enjoy such prominence in our culture.

But if it makes you feel better to call me a man/child then I guess that's your choice.

Default Let the fun begin, yeehaw!

The NFL and football generally dominate the American cultural space because football is fun and exciting to watch (maybe not to you or a curiously high percentage of those that frequent this site, but you can't argue with the numbers).

What are you more likely to see in a movie, a gun fight, or a discussion of knitting techniques?

Guns are cool, and crazy fun to shoot. Given these realities, and the unique nature of the American character it's no wonder guns and football enjoy such prominence in our culture.

But if it makes you feel better to call me a man/child then I guess that's your choice.
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

you are a textbook example of the Dinning Kruger effect...

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

you are a textbook example of the Dinning Kruger effect...
    Did you mean the Dunning-Kruger effect?

It's almost as if you had an unjustifiable amount of confidence on the subject.....

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Did you mean the [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effeargue that wsynning-Kruger[/URL] effect?

It's almost as if you had an unjustifiable amount of confidence on the subject.....
    typing on a phone on a train. but you're right that error means I'm completely wrong. failed lawyers often argue that way

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

typing on a phone on a train. but you're right that error means I'm completely wrong. failed lawyers often argue that way
    The error doesn't make you wrong it just makes you look stupid. The fact that you just happened to misspell the Dunning-Kruger effect made it that much better.

The fact that I know more about Football and Guns (not to mention America's cultural disposition) than you makes you wrong.

EDIT - in other news, I've got a networking event at a local gun range next week!

Super excited to go, just hope I shoot well.

It's amusing to me that most of the time someone is accused of not being able to think for themselves, all it amounts to is not being able to think the same way as the accuser. Some people are so sure of their conclusions that they believe only one who isn't thinking properly can fail to reach them as well. Amazingly, one can willfully choose to engage in popular activities on his own because he enjoys them. Maybe that's even what makes those things popular.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari