User Tag List

First 31112131415 Last

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by SD45T-2 View Post
    I think thats the phalanx CIWS system. Pretty crazy I hope no one got hit in that attack.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Level 8 Propaganda Bot SpankyMcFly's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    461 so/sx

@DiscoBiscuit

I recall reading this in the paper a couple years ago. I find it odd the TV station took down the original news report from their website... That's OK though, someone had the presence of mind to upload it to the you tubes.

"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... Some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age. " - H.P. Lovecraft

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by SpankyMcFly View Post
    I'm a realist so I recognize that cherry picking is going to happen no matter if your ideal is absolutist or not. I use "Live and Let Live" because it essentializes (yes I'm American *eyeroll*, those damn essentializers!) what I believe to be the crux of a basic form of The Golden Rule (ethic of reciprocity). I said "doing unto others, wherever reasonable, as they want to be done by" IF I know how others want to be treated" because I thought you'd appreciate the platinum rule + the IF part, Kant, Nietsche, Russel's objections to said rule.
    Well, there's the thing right there, I'm not exactly a follower of the golden rule, either, though I certainly don't think that, on the face of it, it refers to the same thing as live and let live. I take live and let live to very much be about negative liberty, and in the spirit of libertarianism or anarchy, with all the according problems. The gold rule is, again, as I had suggested, something that actually contains an element of obligation to it. There is obligation in reciprocity. But still, as a utilitarian, I can't quite stick to that principle either.

What matters depends on the person. I will elaborate more though. The connection I am trying to make is that I think Live and Let Live is related to The Golden Rule. Which is pretty simple on the surface. Hey man, don't be doing things that are going to affect me without my consent.
    Simple on the surface, but very elaborate and sometimes contradictory in practice. I'd say that in a real, functioning society, it is essentially impossible to avoid doing things that will affect people without their consent, so that can not be the foundation.

I said no such thing Please reread. Why would I spend energy on an unknown other? unless there was benefit to be had. I agree reasonable needs to be defined, it's pretty fuzzy for sure.
    When I saw the statement that you should do what others would want done, I saw that as an imperative, like in the sense that when one tells you to do something it is an imperative.

P.S. I see what you are doing with your INTP'ness (hehe I said penis). I like INTP's when they get into scalpel Ti mode and I can always tell when they are in such mode because they ask a lot of questions.
    I'm not sure what to do to with that comment.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Yea, what ever will I do with my International Baccalaureate (IB) diploma in addition to my PUBLIC high school diploma.

Oh I know, I'll first get invited to study at Cambridge in the UK over the summer, then get paid to go to UF on a 100% academic scholarship.

There I might join the Fraternity and drink my face off while still graduating with honors, and get into Law School.

I might then decide to leave law school to be the Assistant NE Florida field director for Marco Rubio's 2010 Senate campaign.

From there I might lobby against the Durbin Amendment of the Dodd Frank financial bill for Bonner & Associates. Unfortunately that Amendment passed and all 30 of us were let go.

Not to worry though because I can go assist the Head Fundraiser at the American action network. Given that rent was expensive and think tanks don't pay very much, I eventually left DC to come home and make some real money selling houses.

I sold over 1 million in houses last year before meeting one of the senior advisers from the local Waddell & Reed branch who then told his boss that I was wasted in real estate.

Cut to several months later. I've passed the series 7 with an 80 and the series 66 with an 88 and am now studying for my 2-15 insurance exam. I've already lined up multiple clients to hit the ground running when I begin.

Now some of that was certainly helped by the family I was born into, but that help occurs on the margins. Non of it would be possible if I wasn't very smart and worked very hard.

Now you can sit in your room on the internet (where I'm guessing the balance of your friends reside) and posit about how much more intelligent you are than me, but I just don't see it.

Your just an INTP who thinks he's smarter than everyone. All you really do is pick shit apart to death and "spread" as @Beorn calls it.

You make having to answer your arguments so tedious that no one cares to do so anymore. I decided to put a little more effort into it today than I usually do.

You are clearly intelligent in a book smarts, fire up the internet thesaurus kind of way, but I bet socially you are just this side of wallflower awkward.

I stopped getting into intellectual dick measuring contests years ago. I'm happy with how smart I am, and those around me have been plenty happy with it my whole life.

What have you actually accomplished with all those smarts you claim to have?

If not much, that's just sad. What a waste of potential.
    This post declares confidence, but the entire nature of this act suggests a lack of confidence. Who are you proving this to, and what are you proving? What relevance does it have to anything here?

Also, there's one part I just have to repeat:

I stopped getting into intellectual dick measuring contests years ago.

Where, oh where, do I start with this?

Because you finally hit the limit of how many different kinds of dick measuring contests you could engage in? I mean, seriously? I can't think of anyone on this forum at this time who engages in this proverbial "dick measuring contest" more than you, about more things. That 's even why this exchange is taking place right now. I asserted that I am more intelligent than you (which I think is true) only in response to your desire to compete in some sort of wholly irrelevant personal success measure. Do you know anything about yourself?

And you know, the important lesson here is about subjectivity. So one of my main goals is to be a professor in sociology. That would be a success for me. And while I'm not there yet, I've been heading there and there's no indication I'm turning around at any point. But with your view of things, it would not surprise me if you do not consider being a sociology professor success, mainly because A: Sociology, and B: Academia. You seem hostile to, and ignorant of, both.

But you know, I have my ideas about what's sad, too. And, for example, a man who only assesses things as though they were football matches is, to me, quite sad.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Level 8 Propaganda Bot SpankyMcFly's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    461 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Simple on the surface, but very elaborate and sometimes contradictory in practice.
    I think the bolded is THE point for you, I understand that, I really do. I think this is the nature of why we are having this discussion. Why can't rules be true and why do people pick and choose when to follow these rules? Killing people is bad right? *puts down $20 bet that MP would kill someone to save his own life or perhaps the life of his wife/kids/family*. There are always exceptions, for most people, to these "rules" that we follow. Yeah I don't like the government taxing me, but I do benefit from being a citizen and besides I have about ZERO chance of changing that. So we rationalize and cope.

Utilitarian? May I suggest Preference Utilitarianism as something to look into, if you haven't already? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preference_utilitarianism Google ---> R.M. Hare.

"A utilitarian of this sort could therefore argue that respect for autonomy is one of the most important factors that goes into promoting `the general welfare'. In other words, to maximize the general welfare we would normally need to maximize the degree of autonomy had by individuals. But then, if to do the right thing usually requires maximizing the general welfare by maximizing autonomy, we could permissibly override a person's autonomy only in very exceptional circumstances -- specifically, when no other avenue is available for protecting the welfare of that individual or other members of the community." ~ Nick Trakakis

I'd say that in a real, functioning society, it is essentially impossible to avoid doing things that will affect people without their consent, so that can not be the foundation.
    Such is life. There will always be conflicts of these sorts. As I'm getting on the train someone pushes past me to get on board first and I think "why is this guy being an asshole?" Yet in his mind *OMG I'm so fired if I'm late to work* Agreed it is indeed impossible to go about life without affecting others and violating their consent. In this regards I ask, what "matters" to the most amount of people most of the time? Does it really "matter" that this guy was rude vs. his potentially losing his job? Chances are, in that context I'm gonna empathize with him and pivot in my head.

The Golden Rule aka Live and Let Live aka Don't be an Asshole seems to be a good general rule to follow, just saying.

When in doubt rules don't really matter because you can and will do whatcha gotta do, for most people.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... Some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age. " - H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFX
    Enneagram

The real question is: why would anyone not need an assault rifle?

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

(which I think is true)
    It's nice to think things.

Girls don't think success is irrelevant my friend.

EDIT - It would have been much quicker to just say, you haven't done anything with the brain God gave you as of yet. Besides setting the internet on fire with your world wall posts of course.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp

I think thats the phalanx CIWS system. Pretty crazy I hope no one got hit in that attack.
    The C-RAM (counter rocket, artillery, mortar) is the land version of the Phalanx. They use rounds that self-destruct several seconds after they are fired so people on the ground won't get hit accidentally. The rounds detonating in the air makes a crackling sound. http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...round/cram.htm

It is not to be confused with the SeaRAM: http://www.raytheon.com/capabilities/products/searam/
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

"I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by SD45T-2 View Post
    The C-RAM (counter rocket, artillery, mortar) is the land version of the Phalanx. They use rounds that self-destruct several seconds after they are fired so people on the ground won't get hit accidentally. The rounds detonating in the air makes a crackling sound. http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...round/cram.htm

It is not to be confused with the SeaRAM: http://www.raytheon.com/capabilities/products/searam/
    Very cool.

You learn something everyday

I was wonder what was going on with the rounds detonating. Now I know!

You asked a question that assumes the answer, that being that I'm guilty for the children...

Puhh-lease.
    Everyone in the world, except for a large number of Americans, know the problem is guns.

And everyone knows that guns put children at risk of death and injury.

And any country that deliberately and systematically puts its children at risk is abusive.