User Tag List

First 21011121314 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by SpankyMcFly View Post
    There have been 457 deaths (including adults) in mass murders since 1913 in 67 events. More kids die each year by drowning http://www.cdc.gov/homeandrecreation...factsheet.html

Where is the outcry to teach kids to swim? How about requiring all pool owners to install anti kid barriers? Ahhh but they aren't "violent" deaths and therefore are less scary and less useful in the politics of fear. Your argument is flawed because it's an emotional one.
    Perspective and emotionalism indeed. Whatever one's stance on guns, it helps no one's case to overlook the actual facts.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

WhoCares

Quote Originally Posted by SpankyMcFly View Post
    More kids die each year by drowning http://www.cdc.gov/homeandrecreation...factsheet.html

Where is the outcry to teach kids to swim? How about requiring all pool owners to install anti kid barriers? Ahhh but they aren't "violent" deaths and therefore are less scary and less useful in the politics of fear. Your argument is flawed because it's an emotional one.
    Australia is waaaaay ahead if you there. We recently mandated temporary wading pools be protected with a child proof pool fence. I think the bathtub is next in line for some 'regulating', I think a toddler, like totally fell over in one once. Too, too risky, gotta be regulated.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Quote Originally Posted by WhoCares View Post
    Australia is waaaaay ahead if you there. We recently mandated temporary wading pools be protected with a child proof pool fence. I think the bathtub is next in line for some 'regulating', I think a toddler, like totally fell over in one once. Too, too risky, gotta be regulated.
    ...You're kidding. They are going to try and regulate BATHTUBS? Good god.

I'm sorry, I am all for protecting others and public safety/health, but there is a line that needs to be drawn between protection and nannying. Sadly, the nanniers never thing the line is far enough.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

WhoCares

Bathtubs were sarcasm on my part, the wading pool is real. In fact you cant even have an ornamental fishpond without a hideous pool fence around it. Unless of course you're a public park, in which case they are exempt becayse no-one ever drowns in those.....

Level 8 Propaganda Bot SpankyMcFly's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    461 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by WhoCares View Post
    Bathtubs were sarcasm on my part, the wading pool is real. In fact you cant even have an ornamental fishpond without a hideous pool fence around it. Unless of course you're a public park, in which case they are exempt becayse no-one ever drowns in those.....
    Oh I see. I thought you were serious about the bathtub as well. I think pool fences and swimming lessons should first be "encouraged" via an awareness campaign. Regulation should be the last option, if at all.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... Some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age. " - H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

I've posted a few responses here I might as well say my piece.

I am NOT a pro gun rights person (but note, that does not imply anti-gun rights), at all. I also hate the NRA. I do not like guns, and I have not since I was little. I want nothing to do with them. Someone shows me their collection and stuff? Sure, that's nice, keep it away from me. I am not interested. Quite frankly I find them boring anyway. With that said, I certainly understand why people love them. I'm a chemist and I quite like explosions (made quite a few in my day), and there are some similarities there for sure.

Gun violence is a problem. It has been for a long, long time. It's never going to stop in the US either, sadly. It's a cultural problem. Much in the way that the USSR becoming Russia was thought to remove the corruption of the country with a massive changing of the guard, it didn't. It's sadly a systemic problem of the culture there, it just got effectively sanctioned and privatized. Those in the US that want guns, will get them. Even with intense regulation. Can we make things safer and smarter in regards to gun rights? Most definitely, and it does need to happen and I hope to see it happen soon. It will never remove the entire problem. I still foresee the US being one of the top countries for gun violence in the foreseeable future, even if we fix everything. It's a very sad, unfortunate cultural problem.

In the grand scheme of things though, are guns really that big of a deal? No. There are FAR worse problems in this country than guns and gun violence. Simply limiting access across the board might curb it slightly, but it is NOT the way to go about it. I consider myself to be an Elizabeth Warren-esque liberal, but after Gabby Giffords, Newtown, and other shooting events, the democrats got RABID over gun rights. Why? Because feelings. It drove me nuts. People have every right to be angry and upset, but that is not an excuse to completely ramrod regulation through congress without taking time and attention to make sure the regulations are smart, well completed, and will minimize the impact of those who should have the right to own them. I am for universal background checks. It makes sense, on paper. The states that have something akin to it, such as my homestate of New Jersey, results in a rediculous amount or red tape that ultimately causes hassle or flat out barring from folks who should have no issue gaining access to them. The system doesn't seem to work right. We need to change it and look at it carefully so it would be implimented correctly. In short, if you're going to set regulation, do it correctly. Don't do it fast because it will make people feel all warm and fuzzy. As I said, I am a liberal, but the level to which many liberals fall for the "warm fuzzy" ideas can drive me nuts sometimes. Use logic please.

I am SICK of hearing about this gun right debate on the news. SO TIRED OF IT. Folks, citizens of the US, we have muuuuuch bigger fish to fry, and much bigger issues at our door that need to be dealt with than petty gun right debates. In the grand scheme of things, it's not a major problem at all. It's quite a minor one. The media simply makes it seem to be a WAY larger problem than it is. It's absolutely a problem, and we need to work on it. But, we need to work on it when things aren't as dire and don't need such direct attention.

As for assault rifles. Does anyone need them? No. Should people be allowed to own them? Not sure, and quite frankly, I don't care. It's at the bottom of the bottom of my list of issues, and is SUCH a tiny problem (if any problem) that I have the "do what you want" mindset with this. And yes, this makes many of my liberal friends look at me like "TRAITOR". Oh well, I don't pick sides with issue just because my "team" is supposed to go one way or another.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp
    Socionics
    INFj Ne

To kill atheist, feminist, vegan, anti-racist, LGBT communists... Duh!
    4w5-9w1-5w4

I am a bit scared of America, where self-defense means to kill any attacker as fast as possible.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Hunting, killing criminals, etc. assault rifles sound pretty sweet.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

They are ridiculously fun.