First 12345 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7

I just want to say:

deaths due to greedy tycoons =/= deaths due to dictatorships

With that being said I'm a firm believer capitalism is child of Ti. Totalitarianism is the result of one Te guy thinking he knows what is best for everyone. Sometimes he does... sometimes he doesn't.

Ti gives some of the most creative solutions but none of the Ti users give enough of a shit about politics to introduce them, because its a waste of time sifting through all the emotionally volatile and biased activists to make it happen.

My favorite president, Andrew Jackson, had a few things to say about Ti and Se:

The wisdom of man never yet contrived a system of taxation that would operate with perfect equality.
    The duty of government is to leave commerce to its own capital and credit as well as all other branches of business, protecting all in their legal pursuits, granting exclusive privileges to none.
    You must pay the price if you wish to secure the blessing.
    One man with courage makes a majority.

deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by SolitaryWalker
    By the way, can you send me the Gallup poll results indicating that the self-employed individuals tend to be much happier than employees of organizations?
    "The Gallup-Healthways Well-Being Index in the U.S. has found that business owners have the highest wellbeing of all working Americans."

Worldwide, Good Jobs Linked to Higher Wellbeing

Interesting. Worldwide, business owners have the lowest well-being, but in the US, they have the highest well-being. Btw, there is a dead link to the Gallup-Healthways survey. I would have liked to see which nations were surveyed and how Gallup interpreted the difference between the worldwide and the US results.

Quote Originally Posted by skylights
    There is some quote about government should fear its people... I believe that.
    "When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson

Also relevant is this quote:

The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." Thomas Jefferson
    Senator Rand Paul is alive because of modern medicine and because his attacker punches like a girl.

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Tellenbach View Post

Interesting. Worldwide, business owners have the lowest well-being, but in the US, they have the highest well-being.
    What could account for such a stark contrast?
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Interesting. Worldwide, business owners have the lowest well-being, but in the US, they have the highest well-being.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

In the U.S., small business owners are highly respected. That might not be the case in other nations. In the more lefty nations, I can imagine that a majority of the population would despise entrepreneurs. We're starting to see lefties attack business owners in the U.S. with comments like "You didn't build that. Someone else made that happen." and this gem from Michael Moore:

"Capitalism is an evil, and you cannot regulate evil. You have to eliminate it and replace it with something that is good for all people and that something is democracy."
    Senator Rand Paul is alive because of modern medicine and because his attacker punches like a girl.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

To reiterate....

Regulations and government should be there to keep us from going off the rails, but still allow us to go as fast as possible while staying on them.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

In the U.S., small business owners are highly respected. That might not be the case in other nations. In the more lefty nations, I can imagine that a majority of the population would despise entrepreneurs. We're starting to see lefties attack business owners in the U.S. with comments like "You didn't build that. Someone else made that happen." and this gem from Michael Moore:
    It seems to me that much of this hostility is directed towards large corporations, not small businesses. Even Michael Moore bemoaned how Wal-Mart repeatedly forced small shops out of business and during the 2012 elections, pro-Obama ads featured images of Romney's large enterprises shrinking the middle-class by crushing their small enterprises.

Where do you see leftiest attacking small businesses? On the other hand, I see Republicans supporting large corporations often at the expense of small businesses. I've covered that in my blog, http://randommeanderings123.blogspot...market-is.html

When was the last time Republicans repealed regulations that prevented small-time entrepreneurs from developing their products and selling them on a free-market? On the other hand, they've been busy helping the Pharmaceutical industry overcome the FDA regulations (this was covered on 60 minutes, see my blog again) and lately, they've been fighting to destroy Net Neutrality so the internet and cable companies can charge more. How does any of this help small businesses? Wouldn't that make the bigger corporations more likely to expand and efface the last vestige of a free-market economy from our politico-economic infrastructure? Competition is an essential element of the free-market and Republicans stifle it by empowering the transnational corporations to expand even further. Thanks to them, most of our businesses are dominated by oligopolies. In fact, can you name a single industry in the United States that is not dominated by just a handful of large companies? Wouldn't it be great if we imposed more regulations upon them and gave the smaller businesses a chance to enter these industries? Perhaps then the large corporations will be compelled to lower prices and increase the quality of their products because they'd fear losing their customers to the small businesses. As things stand, the large corporations can just collude with each other to keep the prices and the quality of goods/services what they are, if the customers are not satisfied, there is nothing they can do about it because all companies in the market provide roughly the same quality for similar prices.

What's the point of preserving crony capitalism through deregulation when we can have real free-market capitalism through regulation just as Adam Smith intended it to be?

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Where do you see leftiest attacking small businesses?
    I see it in the form of taxes and regulations. For instance, the lefties are currently engaged in a campaign of trying to end inequality (pure nonsense) by raising the mininum wage. In Detroit, the mininum wage is $13/hour. Does that help or hurt small businesses? I think that hurts all businesses by increasing costs.

"The total cost of regulation was $134,122.48 per small business in California in 2007, labor income not created or lost was $4,359.55 per small
    business, indirect business taxes not generated or lost were $57,260.15 per small business, and finally roughly one job lost per small business. This study provides the most comprehensive and complete analysis of the total regulatory burden in California."

That was the finding from an economics study sponsored by the California state government and posted on their website.
    The author is Sanjay B. Varshney and the title of the paper is "COST OF STATE REGULATIONS ON CALIFORNIA SMALL BUSINESSES STUDY".

Also, President Obama and Senator Warren made no distinction between small businesses and large corporations when they said that entrepreneurs didn't build their businesses.

When was the last time Republicans repealed regulations that prevented small-time entrepreneurs from developing their products and selling them on a free-market?
    I'm not familiar with what's going on in Utah or Texas, but I bet you there are far fewer regulations in those states than in states like Massachusetts and California. Under President Reagan, the 80,000 pages of the Federal Register was cut in half.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

I see it in the form of taxes and regulations. For instance, the lefties are currently engaged in a campaign of trying to end inequality (pure nonsense) by raising the mininum wage.
    I am not clear about what you meant, is it pure non-sense to end inequality or to attempt to do so by raising minimum wage? If your answer to both questions is yes, how do you account for the fact that Australia, Sweden, New Zealand and Germany have lower inequality and higher minimum wage?

In Detroit, the mininum wage is $13/hour.
    I grew up in the Detroit suburbia and was never paid more than $7.15 when I worked for fast food joints as a teenager? Where is your source?

Does that help or hurt small businesses? I think that hurts all businesses by increasing costs.
    Minimum wage should increase unemployment to a much higher extent than it should decrease productivity. Compare and contrast Wal-Mart with CostCo, entry-level employees at the former earn a minimum wage, yet the CostCo employees often earn over $12. To be sure, it is much more difficult to get a job at CostCo than it is at Wal-Mart, but the former employees will be much more driven to keep their jobs. Who cares if you get fired from Wal-Mart, minimum wage jobs are not hard to come by. On the other hand, if you're lucky enough to have a job at CostCo, you'll do everything in your power to hold on to it by being as productive as possible. Small businesses may actually benefit from an increased minimum wage because it would empower them to attract hard-working employees. They'd have a much higher chance of getting to the top of the business hierarchy when they work for small companies: in five years, they could be top managers for a small business when they'd just be making $17 per hour after working at CostCo for just as long.

"The total cost of regulation was $134,122.48 per small business in California in 2007, labor income not created or lost was $4,359.55 per small
    business, indirect business taxes not generated or lost were $57,260.15 per small business, and finally roughly one job lost per small business. This study provides the most comprehensive and complete analysis of the total regulatory burden in California."

That was the finding from an economics study sponsored by the California state government and posted on their website.
    The author is Sanjay B. Varshney and the title of the paper is "COST OF STATE REGULATIONS ON CALIFORNIA SMALL BUSINESSES STUDY".
    Thanks

Also, President Obama and Senator Warren made no distinction between small businesses and large corporations when they said that entrepreneurs didn't build their businesses.
    What they meant was that no-one can build a business in a single-handed fashion, they need the benefits of a healthy economy that would supply them with customers and safe environment that only the government can provide. If they doubt that proposition, they may as well start a business in Peru or Nigeria and see how well that works out.

Under President Reagan, the 80,000 pages of the Federal Register was cut in half.
    Have the small businesses thrived under Reagan? What about his Cable and Television of Act 1984 that enabled the corporations to advertise as much as they pleased and as deceitfully as they wanted? Didn't that help the transnational corporations in all industries overtake the small businesses?

Weren't the Reagan years when today's corporate giants achieved the greatest growth? What happened with the small businesses in that juncture of American history?

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

I am not clear about what you meant, is it pure non-sense to end inequality or to attempt to do so by raising minimum wage?
    The idea of ending income inequality through redistribution of wealth is both a vile notion and a stupid one. In any merit-based system of economics, you're going to have a distribution of abilities in the work force. Some will possess abilities that demand higher wages. For instance, someone like Lebron James will and should make more money than the guy selling hotdogs, because his ability brings in the customers. The lefty seeks to eliminate that natural and fair inequity through confiscatory policies such as luxury taxes, death taxes, progressive taxes, and the minimum wage. What happens when the lefty politician passes a luxury tax on yachts and rolexes? That was done in 1991 when Bush, Sr. reneged on his campaign promise and the lefties passed a 10% luxury tax; over a period of three years, 9400 boat makers lost their jobs because the rich folks stopped buying those products.

What about the minimum wage? Milton Friedman called it the most anti-black law in the books because it leads to higher unemployment in black communities, teenagers, and the poor. When you raise the minimum age, you reduce the amount of capital that business owners have to hire workers. If the minimum wage is $10/hour and you have a choice between a college kid or some teenager, you're going to give the job to the college kid because you'll probably get more out of the college kid. If the minimum wage were $5/hour, you'd be able to hire both. Oh, I was wrong about the $13/hour figure for Detroit. It must've been some proposal and not the actual minimum wage.

Have the small businesses thrived under Reagan?
    Every quintile saw their income increase under Reagan.

Didn't that help the transnational corporations in all industries overtake the small businesses?
    Supply siders like free trade. It is a good thing that Walmart saves the consumer thousands of dollars each year by selling cheap products from China. The competition between large corporations and small businesses is healthy.

Weren't the Reagan years when today's corporate giants achieved the greatest growth?
    Reagan's cuts on the corporate tax rate and the capital gains tax freed up capital for venture capitalists to invest in start-ups like Apple Computer and Intel. I'm not getting the hostility over successful corporations. I want all corporations to succeed.