User Tag List

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI

Default Worst Traffic Nightmare in History!!!

http://newsone.com/2855019/atlanta-traffic/

Anyone else here live around the Atlanta area and get caught up in it?

I was fortunate enough to not have anywhere to be that day. My classes got cancelled at 11 am, so I stayed cozy in my home and took a nap. Thank God!!! My roommate woke me up from my nap around noon shouting, "Snow!!!" We went outside and realized it was actually sticking, and decided to head to the store real quick for some beers and food and what not. We got less than a quarter mile and hit congested roads. School's were being let out, school busses everywhere, and cars slipping and sliding all over the place. Since it took us nearly 20 minute's to get that far, we decided to turn the car around and just park it. We grabbed our back packs and warmest clothes and walked to the store. By the time we started walking, it was worse. By foot was definitely the smart idea.

My facebook feed was littered with folks claiming 3, 6, 9, 12 hour commutes due to it. Other's didn't even get home until the next day and were forced to sleep in their vehicle, get a hotel, crash in a CVS, Home Depot, Kroger, etc. One of my friend's built a chair from soda can boxes and slept in that in a grocery store.
    http://www.buzzfeed.com/daves4/atlan...-dead-right-no

The South has received a lot of criticism for the event, but basically... it went down like this:

We heard word of possible snow, but this would be the 3rd or 4th time this winter season we've heard possible snow. At the most, we had a few flurries a month prior. Snow doesn't normally stick to the ground when it does fall. I've been living in the South most of my life, and all in all, I can only really recall maybe 4 times it's actually snowed. The South isn't normally equipped with the type of equipment required to treat roads for icy conditions, because it is such a rare thing. It's likely cheaper to just shut down everything for a day or two in such an event, since it's only a once every few years type of thing.
    So no one took the warning seriously. Everyone went to work and to school as normal. When the snow began to fall and roads began to look icy, employers, school boards and the government all made the mistake of releasing everyone at the same time. I think I heard/read that on a typical day there is roughly 3 million cars on the road in the Atlanta area. Tuesday, when everyone got cut loose, the number was around 6 million. Double the normal. On top of icy roads. Gridlock from hell. And salt trucks had no room to get through traffic.
    There was also criticism for Atlanta not treating the roads, but I'm certain salt just blows off if you just put it on a dry road. Maybe I'm wrong.

Anywho. People were trapped in their cars. No food, no bathroom, no water, no supplies for snow emergency's. One lady even gave birth. Some school children had to sleep at their school or on their school bus caught in traffic. Many ran out of gas and had to stop in their tracks, being forced to walk. Lot's of abandoned cars.

However, the event also showed the compassion and generosity of others. People took strangers into their homes to provide shelter and food. Other's gave out blankets and water and gatorade. People went out and helped push cars out of danger's way. Some people just gave rides. (I've decided I should get a Jeep now. ha!) Truly amazing.

I work in a Hospital and couldn't make it to work, along with many other coworkers. Those that were already in the hospital were put on lockdown, which only ended today at noon. Those nurses, nurse aids, doctors, and other staff members, stayed for 3 days and nights working right on through it all. Sleeping when they could. I went in to work today, and they were all still full of spirit. I feel I have a lot to learn from this amazing staff. They did not bitch or whine about their 50 hour + shift.

Just thought I'd share that.

So, any one else have their stories from the event? Or commentary on what went wrong or what went right during this 'Snowmageddon'?
    "I don't know a perfect person.
    I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
    -John Green

MBTI
    NiTe
    Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

That's amazing; you gave us a complete report on it. Thanks; the bit about the hospital staff doing a 50+ hour shift is absolutely astonishing.

WALMART

That's not a clip from the walking dead?

Cool stuff. So much heart about the world.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI

Quote Originally Posted by superunknown View Post
    That's not a clip from the walking dead?

Cool stuff. So much heart about the world.
    The top image is. The bottom one is not.
    -John Green

Wow. Those photos.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyAnnaJoan View Post
    The top image is. The bottom one is not.
    lol. Was wondering how a car got flipped.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI

Oh, also food trucks caught in the traffic were told to give out their food to trapped commuters. And I guess the national guard passed out those ready to eat meal things.
    @wolfy wouldn't surprise me if there was one or two of those, too.
    -John Green

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI

Meh. Apparently not the worst traffic jam in history. But it's a good contender. http://www.forbes.com/sites/jimgorze...ms-in-history/
    -John Green

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by IndyAnnaJoan View Post
    http://newsone.com/2855019/atlanta-traffic/

Anyone else here live around the Atlanta area and get caught up in it?
    I was on a short morning shift, so I was able to avoid driving in the snow (ironically, I spent my time at work complaining about the lack of hours).