Thread: Violence

Level 8 Propaganda Bot SpankyMcFly's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    461 so/sx

Default Violence

A word. Violence.

I've noticed that "we" only seem/want to apply this word to negative things and we choose to use other words to describe the same actions for those we approve of.

A guy approaches you and socks you in the jaw unexpectedly, in an attempt to steal your purse/jacket/whatever. Clearly a "violent" criminal. A police officer sees this and chases the perpetrator down. He then tackles him from behind, grabs an arm and puts it in a lock behind him and puts his knee on the criminals neck/head so that he can handcuff him. Clearly an "apprehension/police action". After the perpetrator is jailed and released on bond he gets a lawyer and files an excessive use of "force" complaint.

Violence isn't good or bad, imo, it just IS. How and when it is used, now that is subject to good/bad. I think "we" forget this. I annoyingly roll my eyes when I hear from a bleeding heart that the "violent" culture of the U.S.A. is the reason for many a societal ill and that consequently we need to enact all these rules/laws/regulations to protect us from ourselves. FTR, someone needs to send some social scientists to other countries, like our neighbor Canada and study them to ascertain how is it possible that they consume the same "violent" media (movies, music, TV shows, video/PC games, all in the same shared language) that we do, yet they are not as violent as us.

It never occured to me while watching Looney Tunes growing up, that Elmer Fudd's use of a shotgun to chase Bugs Bunny around, or Wile E. Coyotes various attempts to murderlize the Road Runner (often using explosives/weapons) were all subtle forms of indoctrinating/desensitizing me to violence *eyeroll*.

It is not the fist that is bad/good, it is the wielder and when/how/if they decide (via values but also morals/principles/ethics yada yada) to use it. It is VALUES that is the root of the problem in the U.S.A. or lack thereof.

/incoming tangent Hello dual earners *waves*. I know most of you are well intentioned, but frankly at least 1 full time caregiver will out perform a part time or two part time care givers over the long haul when it comes to instilling these "things".

Perhaps this should be posted in the rant thread.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... Some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age. " - H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by SpankyMcFly View Post
    It never occured to me while watching Looney Tunes growing up, that Elmer Fudd's use of a shotgun to chase Bugs Bunny around, or Wile E. Coyotes various attempts to murderlize the Road Runner (often using explosives/weapons) were all subtle forms of indoctrinating/desensitizing me to violence *eyeroll*.
    My best friend is older than me and went to high school in the '70s. He grew up around guns. His dad was a WWII veteran (7th Infantry Division) and taught him to shoot when he was 6. He says that at no point during his high school education did it occur to him that it would be a good idea to go on a shooting spree, even though he had conflict with some of the other students and teachers. It just was not on his radar as an option.

Have you read any Rory Miller?
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

"I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Agreed.